The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most players do better with steady playing time. I have a concern about Sargent’s physical ability to impose himself on the game. But a season in B2 might not be the worst thing for him to develop into something more.

2. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it though? We had multiple players starting vs one thread for a player who was on the bench. Don't get me wrong I'm happy about Reyna.

I would have liked to see people calling our other player performances that's just me though.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are welcome. The general point is still relevant when we have players starting and basically getting Twitter updates. Whereas no one knew if Reyna was even going to get playing time but still watched that match

I'm being a curmudgeon, but just let me be slightly on point please ;)

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just riffing cause you said "glued to the bench" and he got minutes.

I was watching Chelski and RBL since they were "easy" but I'm in favor of more live watching for everyone. I just only have 2 eyes and so much time.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    There's a few reasons i can think of for why there was a gameday thread for Gio and not Sargent or Morales.

-The Dortmund game was televised on Fox Sports while the Bremen/Dusseldorf game was not.

-Based on recent news and comments from Dortmund's manager, there was a good chance that Gio was about to make his professional debut and become the youngest American to ever appear in the Bundesliga. Sargent and Morales are more known quantities.

-Dortmund are title contenders and apparently pretty fun to watch, as opposed to Werder Bremen and Dusseldorf, two relegation candidates that both put on a pretty lifeless display today.

Etc.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, no one watched Sargent’s game so we didn’t start a thread for it. Makes sense.

7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, it's pretty simple for me. I don't have any of the extra streaming services (ESPN+, NBC Gold, or whatever the Fox Sports thing is), so I watch the Bundesliga games on FS1 and FS2 and the EPL games on NBCSN. Usually, there's a Yank playing in at least one of those games at some point over the weekend, and I'll start/post in a gameday thread when that happens. No disrespect to Sargent or Morales.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like people are more interested in newer and more interesting stories than older stories about known quantities.

largegarlic repped this.
  9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've sat through a couple of Bremen games where Josh played or did not. When he is in, he is getting no help from his team. They are not good. With no vested interest, like when he is not playing, they down right stink. So, hard to judge our boy's quality when he is alone. I vote change of scenery .

jnielsen, lmorin and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I watched the Fortuna-Bremen. You guys didn't miss anything.

russ, beamish and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you should have known better than to watch that game

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's the insecure Raschica. Kinda like Bale and Dempsey. Eggestein is a problem too because he has a brother who aspires to the position Sarge plays. Otherwise he should ok.

We have yet to see Osako and Sarge playing at the same time. Hard to believe with over half the season gone.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Xmas leftovers Derby. I thought it was just those two but Leipzig looked really rusty too.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Morales actually had a good game compared to the rest.

taylor repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think he needs easy goals at this stage. He needs to develop the style he will play at the higher level based on his skills. It's always tough when a team falls into the relegation zone and people start finger pointing in all directions except their own chest, of course.

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It was not one of Sargent's better games. He did well in the air today winning headers both offensively and defensively... but he had some really bad touches. Felt kind of like a missed opportunity. I hope he isn't back on the bench next week... Osako has really cooled off as well... so there is still a chance he gets a shot to ride that great winter friendly appearance.

largegarlic and edcrocker repped this.
  17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing the yeoman's work :D

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just musing, but wouldn't it be interesting if, after all the Sargent hype, Indiana Vassilev out-performs him?

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Naming their kid "Indiana" speaks of over-eager immigrants, but good for 'em nonetheless. Bet they have a flag pole in the front yard.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  20. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with “Raiders of Villa Park”- great idea above. We will never have another Indy, so we have to make hay on this one while the sun shines.

appwrangler, mace, Gacm32 and 6 others repped this.
  22. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Sargent is just in a bad place now. Bad team, injury/inconsistent playing time, etc. A lost season is not a disaster at his age but nearing Feburary it is looking more and more like he won't get much out of this year.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has a few goals and a few assists. Let's not be so dire. He's in the club's future plans. He just has to do more to present himself as a legit starter. If not now, then he def needs to do so during the preseason.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has good off-the-ball movement, and that's a rarity for American forwards. Some good coach can use that.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We thank you for your service

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.