The Real Madrid News / Reviews / Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Phoenix Rising, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Deep Pal and saadomar repped this.
  2. kelvinphr

kelvinphr Member+

Aug 23, 2007
    Botswana
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ironically therein lies the problem of not playing Casemiro. Those teams try to hurt us on the break. Kroos isn't capable of covering efficiently in those situations. It is a tricky situation that has pros and cons whichever way you look at it. One of the interesting conundrums I want to see how Lopetegui will deal with.

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    We seem to have this discussion every year (about not playing Casemiro against weaker bunkering sides) and then we see lose the midfield without him. But I think that was more of a product of Zizou's system. In Julen's system it could be much easier to not have Casemiro and still maintain some organization.

And Marcos Llorente had the highest interceptions in La Liga that one full season he played for Alaves. (my memory is shit so don't crucify me if it wasn't the highest but it was definitely near the top of the league) He is great at cutting out passing lanes. He is no slouch at recoveries either which is Casemiro's strong suit.

I would like us to at least try this once or twice to see how it goes. Like I said, in previous years it didn't work out well but I see us benefitting from it. The only issue is that if we play Llorente………. he needs some games to get back to his best. He is not the sort of player to just play a game in one month and deliver a great performance which players like Lucas Vasquez seem to be able to do.

Deep Pal, -Reivax- and ElCapitánSR4 repped this.
  4. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    We contained Getafe’s counters fine without him, in fact Getafe started to get back in the game when we subbed Isco out for him, other factors could have contributed to that of course but every other time that he got pressed he’s turned the ball over.
    In regards to Kroos he is never going to be the defensive beast that Casimero is of course that’s why I did that a full implementation of Lopetegui’s system will be key, the team will have to work for each other.

Let me emphasize again that I’m not advocating for Casimero to become a bench player, what I’m saying is he should be rotated more against lesser sides, and no we will not crumble because of it, this team is built to dominate most game.

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The unit is the most important and our continuity. The fact that this team has been together for so many years is the most important factor.

Anon., Deep Pal, saadomar and 6 others repped this.
  6. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Excellent point

Deep Pal and Eddie repped this.
  7. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1832 Saeta Rubia, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Deep Pal, saadomar, Tobias19 and 12 others repped this.
  8. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So, la decimocuarta is next?

9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1834 Saeta Rubia, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Deep Pal, Ahmadi8, Shay Z and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Deep Pal, saadomar, Digital and 6 others repped this.
  11. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I never could imagine a treble of champions league titles after La Decima. It's HUGE

Shay Z, Deep Pal, saadomar and 6 others repped this.
  12. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Breakdown of RM's finances

Anon., Shay Z, Ahmadi8 and 5 others repped this.
  13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to FourFourTwo, Ramos and Varane are the two best centerbacks in the world.

Nice to see Rapha finally get the recognition he deserves

RMSocrates, Ahmadi8, Deep Pal and 2 others repped this.
  14. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    As much as I love Varane (and he might be my favorite player), I wouldn't rank him over Godin right now. I hope he's at that level this year, but he's been too inconsistent over the last two years (esp. in the games where he's played without Ramos or Pepe). He looked really good in the World Cup though, so hopefully he has finally taken the last step in his mental game to being an ideal CB.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ramos is a better overall player than Godin, but not a better defender imo.

Kroosinator repped this.
  16. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I think Ramos is a better defender as well, there is a huge difference between the way the two teams play, Atleti are much more defence oriented whereas we are more likely to keep the defence hanging high and dry most of the times.

PigBenis, Digital, S1na and 2 others repped this.
  17. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Virgil Van Dijk is in that list let alone in third spot? Guy was playing in some shit hole and then went to Liverpool for half a season.

No way he's number three.

Shay Z, RMSocrates, Deep Pal and 2 others repped this.
  18. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    True and Uruguay plays that way as well.

19. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah. Ramos' defensive play is underrated because of his technical and goal scoring abilities.

20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think it's more because of some of the mistakes he makes.

Deep Pal and robnycus repped this.
  21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Godin is the most overrated defender since Chiellini. By large, people mostly rate him cause it's fashionable, not because he's that big of a deal. Had he gone to Manchester United, he would have been found out. Even Miranda looked pretty decent in Simeone's wall of players.

I think Ramos is an incredible captain, and a fantastic player, but i'm not going to say he's number 1. But Godin is a hipster's CB of choice.

22. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don’t get into lists but I wondered why his name was so prominent there as well, other than the fact that Liverpool is now the flavor of the month EPL team, and certainly nothing to do with Holland

23. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don’t care if he’s in Turkey right now I couldn’t take this list seriously without Pepe on it

And yes, when his head is screwed on properly I don’t think there’s a better CB than Ramos.

24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my view, Ramos is by far the #1. It's not even close. Maybe I overrate the mental aspect of the game, but even in his worst moments when he's picking up silly fouls, he brings an attitude, a leadership, an expectation and pressure for the rest of the team that is invaluable. He is the ultimate embodiment of Madridismo in my eyes.

Not only is he an immense talent, but all of this intangible stuff is huge. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

25. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    6 more days and league actions starts again... only 6 more days

Shay Z repped this.