The Real Madrid News / Reviews / Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Phoenix Rising, Sep 3, 2015.

1. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    "Football Leaks" is more nerdy than watching all Star Wars films dressed in a Chewbacca costume at the Star Wars convention.

Nobody cares about that other than massive football nerds.

2. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007

Must watch stuff. Rafa on BT sports tonight.

Doni repped this.
  3. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    damn, i was late like 10seconds :D Rafa said pretty much everything allright.

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you summarize?

5. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Basically ripped into Floro. Cited Barcelona's domination and even brought up Atleti winning the same number of league titles as us since "this chairman" has been here. Lineker asks him if there is interference from Perez. He says that its not normal for the chairman to talk to players everyday, be around all the time. He says he wasn't used to it especially after his time in England. He also said that players were excellent professionals and very hard working.
    There's more too. You gotta watch before youtube takes it down.

Digital, RMSocrates, MerlinRM and 2 others repped this.
  6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    "I think we were quite good."

F*ck no.

So Barcelona has a way of playing, but what was Rafa's way of playing?

Rafa is a bit silly. He's sitting there like the fat kid at the party with the new video game that is getting a bit of attention because people want to play it and e keeps giving them what they want to hear.

7. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bums me out to read that. Why did he take the freakin job the ? Like he doesn't know how Flo is after all this time? Come on Rafa. I'll watch i guess.

temesgen and 4x4s repped this.
  8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's just three minutes of him agreeing with Lineker and Ferdinand (who allegedly joined in with Ferguson laughing at Rafa Benitez back during his "facht" days) nodding in agreement about a club he's never been at.

Seriously, sports journalism is at a level of a local school newspaper.

9. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    players are hardworking and professional but... that it was not possible to control things with them in order to improve the team. That's what I got out of the last sentence anyway. He didn't want to come out and criticize them outright.

MerlinRM repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A bit more self criticism would've been decent.

11. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    He sounded very bitter. Even bringing up the fact (twice) that he's been at the club 20 years or something. Lineker basically pounced being the Cule scum that he is.

To me it sounded like Rafa was putting the whole blame on Floro.

temesgen repped this.
  12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Well there goes the "conspiracy" label off of the theories that Florentino has some influence on the coaching decisions. Not that there was much doubt to begin with anyway.

13. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #Salt

madridista_hr, temesgen, euon and 2 others repped this.
  14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can you really blame him? Flo was the one who fired Carlo and hired Rafa just to fire him months later. He was right especially about the Flo factor and our lack of titles.

I do agree there should have been a bit of criticism as well. Most of the players all but have confirmed Rafa was a big issue. Imo, he had a fairytale in his head that he returned to his home club to step in and the players would fall in line completely while they follow his philosophy.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  15. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm sure he'll continue to talk more in the coming months. Hell even Carlo has gotten a bit bolder about speaking on his time at the club and his firing.

16. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And like Merlin mentions he has a point to make, just maybe not the best time or format to make it.

MerlinRM and temesgen repped this.
  17. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I think most people who love the club but are also realistic about what it takes to succeed here feel bad for Rafa but also realize things were getting out of control so a change was probably best.

Rafa clearly loves the club and also clearly is hurt about what transpired but in some ways he's like the guy who started dating his cheerleader girlfriend after she broke up with the captain of the football team and after a couple weeks on the rebound she decides to date the star basketball player. He should have known better, the timing was not ideal for Rafa to take that job. Right now I feel bad for him but if he airs dirty laundry like this in public that might change.

Hopefully we'll transition to a younger and more Spanish club which could help fans be patient as we work on an identity that transcends coaches and players. I am not sure how else to do it perhaps if we won another final in Europe but that isn't something you can or should plan around.

-Reivax-, Phoenix Rising and MerlinRM repped this.
  18. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Why? He's saying Flo was around the players too much, which presumably undermined Rafa's authority over the players. That's different from telling the coach which players to play.

watermelon1, Shay Z and MerlinRM repped this.
  19. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's interesting he said the players were pros and very hard working but some has spoken and it hasn't been in the best light of Rafa since he got fired. Kinda odd to me and the rest was kinda expected from him.

20. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    It has an impact, when I've had teams at the office working on things and had to reshape initiatives only to see that undermined in other areas it impacts your ability to manage and communicate effectively. Ideally if chairman wants to be involved with the day to day he's working closely with the executive team and the message is in sync. There is nothing worse than getting the organization turned in a particular direction to have it lose momentum due to mixed messaging about priorities or worse have people told privately that the mission isn't the mission it's something else and not to worry.

9Qui and Digital repped this.
  21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Do you really believe that's all he's hinting at?

22. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Yeah, I agree, you need a united front like parents.

Digital and temesgen repped this.
  23. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    perfect analogy :thumbsup:

24. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    [​IMG]

If that's what he meant he could have just said vaguely "Look, the president likes to talk to the manager about the matches and the strategy of the team, he likes to give his input..." Instead he said what we already knew, that Flo was poking his head into the dressing room, talking to the players, listening to James, Benzema, Isco, Ronaldo etc. bitching about Rafa, and that was the end of Rafa. I think that is bad of Flo, I didn't think Rafa should have been sacked so early on, but I also didn't foresee the players so dramatically preferring Zidane, pressing harder for him, passing better, etc.

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Because coaching decisions are limited to "matches and strategy". Because the President can't influence coaching decisions in other ways. And because having the players skip a level isn't interfering with coaching decisions.

And it's not like anyone before him mentioned the same thing.

"I came here with high hopes and great pride to manage this team. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do and I had differences from the beginning of the season."

"There were a lot of disagreements in the club. I asked for them to keep Sneijder and Robben, who were two very important players for me. I missed having a debate on supporting issues."

"As Vincente del Bosque, the former Real Madrid and current Spanish coach said, even the club shows no respect for the position of the coach, and they don't give the position proper authority internally or externally."