The real Hex standings

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nermalthecat, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Let's not deceive ourselves ... tonight was two points dropped, not a point gained. It doesn't matter that we denied ES two points, since they're not as threat to qualify.

Basically what this will come down to vis a vis auto qualifying vs. having to beat CONMEBOL 5 is home points dropped against the other big three and any points dropped against the two minnows.

So...

Games Played Points Dropped
    Mexico 1 (CR) 0
    Costa Rica 1 (Hon) 0
    United States 2 (Mex, at ES) 2
    Honduras 1 (at T&T) 2

As long as we win our home games against CR and HON, we'll be in good shape, but since the CR game is the last of the Hex, it could get tighter than we want if we don't get anything from the three peer road games.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    it was on the road.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The correct metric is deviation from 3 at home, 1 on the road. So if you lose at home that's -3, if you win on the road that's +2, if you lose on the road that's -1 etc.

By that standard today's match was 0 for us, -2 for El Salvador. In fact, we're sitting at 0 overall, which point-wise is just fine for the moment.

4. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I bet ES loses a number of game at home.

We dropped 2 points tonight.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No, we really didn't. We just didn't get 2 "bonus points" for a road win.

6. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I think the OP's point was that other teams *are* going to come into ES and win bonus "win" points, if they do we loose 2 by comparison.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    they only have 3 more home games.

8. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to question if the OP even watched the game then... because that was a damn good team we played with a damn intimidating stadium. If they can fix fitness/mentality issues or whatever is causing them to give up leads late, they will surprise people. I think going there assuming 3 points is a mistake waiting to happen.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Barring (probable) clerical errors, I think this is how it actually stands:

11.2.2009 CR - HN 2:0 (0:0) San Jose, CRC
    11.2.2009 ES - TT 2:2 (0:2) San Salvador, SLV
    11.2.2009 US - MX 2:0 (1:0) Columbus, Ohio USA
    28.3.2009 MX - CR 2:0 (1:0) Ciudad de Mexico, MEX
    28.3.2009 TT - HN 1:1 (0:0) Port of Spain, TRI
    28.3.2009 ES - US 2:2 (1:0) San Salvador, SLV

Deviation from 3 at home, 1 on the road

CR 0 : -1 HN
    ES -2 : 0 TT
    US 0 : -1 MX
    MX 0 : -1 CR
    TT -2 : 0 HN
    ES -2 : 0 US

Table

US 0
    MX -1
    CR -1
    HN -1
    TT -2
    ES -4

But like I said, you might want to double check this.

10. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    You are correct. That was my point.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Let them. Look, we all would have preferred a win. I'm pissed off about the game too. But the realty is we're perfectly on track. The trick is to stay on track.

12. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Who? Costa Rica aren't exactly road warriors. It'd be a mistake to expect a CR win @ ES. Mexico has the talent, but their issues on the road are well documented (and worse than ours). Honduras? Please. It wouldn't shock me if HON won @ ES, but I sure as hell don't expect it.

This thread is a joke. 3 at home 1 on the road is the only "altered" table worth anything.

13. jason77024

jason77024 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Houston
    TT should be -2 instead of -3, but yeah, what you said.

14. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I'm confident we will qualify, heck at HT I said I expected the US to come back and tie once ES got tired and their quickness advantage went away.

I was just explaining what the OP meant.

15. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Not when two of the teams are nonfactors in the big picture.

This Hex is solely about not dropping points at home to MEX, CRC and HON and not dropping points anywhere to ES and T&T.

We dropped two points tonight that MEX and CRC have not yet. Both of those teams are exactly where they are expected to be. We should be on six points and we have four.

Oh, and to the poster who said that ES needs to find a way not to give up late leads at home? They rallied from 2-0 down in the final minutes against T&T and scored three late goals at home to KO Panama in the second round. They're usually down two goals late, not ahead.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oops. Fixed.

One thing I noted doing that table: it's slightly remarkable that we haven't seen any home losses already.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yep. I don't see any way to rationalize tonight's game as acceptable. Hell, if they managed to pull off the win I still would've considered the night to be a dreadful mess. Tough road games are one thing. Being outclassed in every way for 70+ minutes by a El Salvador is quite another.

18. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal isn't to win the group; it's to finish top 3. An away win is 2 points stolen.

Still, I expect the US to win 2 games on the road. Which games, I'm not sure but not Mexico.

If you take 4 points from all but 2 or 3 teams, you're fine.

19. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latino teams historically struggle alot against the Caribbean teams due to physical matchups. Assuming TnT can't get results against CR, Mexico, and Honduras is incredibly naive and shows a lack of understanding about the region. Just ask Mexico wat the think of Jamaica.

20. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar

Honduras isn't any better than ES.

The chances of the results not finishing...

Going to WC: (in any order)
    USA
    MEX
    CRC

Going home:
    HON
    T&T
    ES

are pretty small. The three upper tier teams are head and shoulders better than the other 3. Before you argue for Honduras, I point you to the current standings, where they sit in last place on 1 point.

21. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And have yet to play a home game...

22. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    That should immediately disqualify you from any further input in this thread.

I point you to the "real" standings, where they are fourth out of the four teams vying for auto bids. I also point out that they have played 0 home games.

23. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Yeah, but the point of this thread is that "dropping" points against ES would come back to bite us when Mystery Team A goes on a rampage on the road and steals our WC spot from us, which is fantasyland stuff.

No one is winning on the road right now, just like most years. That's the point of win at home, tie on the road. Hold your ground, scrap out points (more importantly deny points from the home squad) on the road, and you're going to the WC. Guar-an-frickin-teed.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Bingo.

The telling this thus far that everybody should take from this, IMO, is that NOBODY has yet lost a home game. (Which in turn means that Honduras, which has yet to play a home match, has yet to win... no big surprise there.)

25. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    No, the point of this thread is that we wasted one of our games against the two teams that have no chance to qualify. Same as Honduras. That puts us in relatively worse position than Mexico and Costa Rica through two games.

Why is it so hard for you to realize that ES is irrelevant to this discussion? Denying them two points is meaningless. They're not a challenger for a spot.