The [R] Rule

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not following.

I mean, I think the R rule makes sense because soccer is a global game, and there are often some matches I want to talk about, but others I plan on watching later. I mean, there aren't many other sports like that. And besides, the sites where I go to find scores (livescore usually, or soccernet) aren't places I stay logged onto for very long, unlike Bigsoccer.

That said, REM was never anywhere near as cool as Love Tractor. ;)

2. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

once again, i call bull******

seeing as that is apparently a badword (and i'll probably be told that's a personal attack) :rolleyes:

ever been in threads where you can't mention relevant scores because that's a *shock* spoiler!!!!!!!!!

this is a soccer website, we should be able to discuss soccer as it happens with no care for offending 12 people that believe they are technologically advanced enough to view a game at their leisure

and they should be able to if they want, however, we shouldn't be forced to limit our discussions for their benefit... it's utterly insane

in order for this to stick, we must change the site name to what i mentioned earlier

3. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

yup

and spoilers are given all the time

heck, people start threads with the score at various points in the game, or if someone goes down with an injury

i was all over basketball boards last year because of the illini... espn, scout, here, newspapers, illini and bigten ones...

it makes for a very passionate group, and the twelve people that are tivo-ing the gam aren't running the show over the 70k plus other people

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have you ever noticed that there are usually other threads devoted to actually discussing the match that you want to spoil? Is the "Highlight to Reveal" feature too complicated for you?

Put an "R" in the thread title, no one will be bothering you. Start another thread like we do in the Liverpool forum with "other matches." The hyperbole in your post (it's utterly insane...") sounds like it takes a tremendous physical and intellectual effort to use a mouse and click it. It's not that hard.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I knew one guy who quit listening to The Replacements because Tim sold a lot of copies.

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How hard is it to type [noparse][result]the relevant score[/result][/noparse]?
    [result]if you are too lazy to do that then start a thread with [R] in the title.[/result] Problem solved.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know of people who quit on the 'Mats because people outside the Twin Cities starting hearing of them. Then again, the Twin Cities in the 80s had the most annoying scenesters I've ever encountered.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is already dealt with in practice on a board by board basis. For instance, on the DC United board we had a discussion (last year, I think) and consensus was that other relevant MLS results were fair game on threads provided those threads had an [R]. (But, for instance, EPL results wouldn't be fair game.) On the other hand, I believe Yanks Abroad is much, much more strict in this area. These are practical matters that can be dealt with quite easily on a board by board basis.

Or I suppose you can always [result]use the result tags[/result]. Though that's kind of overkill for relevant games if you ask me. Still, if some boards want that then I say let them.

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    A-frickin-men. :)

10. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    you can't do that on a thread title though

and i think most of the problem comes from YA, but if someone scores... fans should be able to go nuts with it... it's current, it's applicable, it's real, it's fun... why not have a thread "convey just scored!!!"

it's not a big deal to know the results and watch the game later... i do that all the fricking time, i'd prefer to know the results as they happen... it's done, i can't do anything about it and no matter how many times i watch us-mex in korea, we can't get more than 2 and cobi's head still won't blow up

people need to remember that they are not the only people out there, they aren't the majority of the soccer fans in this country or on these boards, if a game is going or just finished, it is fair game... anything less is unacceptable

11. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    i should add that i don't like to post in YA or even go there, because the enviroment is stifling

it's better to just do my own looking around, then to try and make sure that i don't say anything that offends one person and put me in the doggie house

the amount of rules for [r]'s is absurd

the GAME HAS STARTED OR IS OVER

it's fair game

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not to be a dickbag, but...

scoreboard, scoreboard.

;)

13. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

uh

wankler... think about how many people are whining about keeping scores or news out of anything so that they can watch a game without knowing the results...

now think of how many people use this site and never say anything

the whiners are annoying and need to be told to leave it alone

forgive me for suddenly becoming a whiner, because i'm always someone railing against the [r], much like people that incessantly go after people for accidently letting others know some soccer information

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "scoreboard" thing refers to the fact that this thread is part of a poll. Your side is down. Which makes the part of your post that I underlined a bit ironic. That's all I meant.

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a big deal to you. You prefer to know the scores as they happen.
    I agree with the part in bold. Time to take your own advice. You are not the only person here. Many of us do have a problem with learning the score before we can see the game. How hard is it for you to take a second to think about us and put a [R] in the thread title?

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Well, if you did the equivalent on the DC board I'd just merge it into the ongoing post-match thread. We don't need multiple threads talking about the same thing. ;)
    I watch games all the time even though I know the results. Here's the really crazy thing - I often look at the results first to see if the game's worth watching. So why don't I agree with you? I don't agree with you becauce I respect that many people are not like me. They don't want the match spoiled. I also respect that they still want to come hang out at BigSoccer to shoot the shit while they're - say - at work. I respect that. I also believe it's very, very easy to avoid spoiling matches. It takes next to no effort. Lastly, being courteous to those people doesn't infringe upon my enjoyment of BigSoccer one bit. I can still talk about whatever I like. So it's no skin off my back to respect the wishes of others and give those people who want the [R] rule what they want.
    On this we agree. But we're probably talking about different people who need to be reminded of this.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. I have had people bitch because a thread about the quality of broadcasters included a result.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The reason I think that the World Cup will make the [R] unusable isn't necessarily the scores in headlines or scores in threads with [R]s, but the preponderance of threads without scores that get started in the aftermath of every game that basically give away the result.

Can we get rid of Arena now?

Is this enough for Twellman to start?

I told so - Adu belongs!!!!!

Where's Cobi when we need him....

and so on...

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Can you link to an example?

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answer this question, someone who can:

Someone is at work, and they're recording a Champions League game. They plan on watching it after they get home.

Apparently, they need to log on to BS sometime between the time the game starts and the time they watch the tape. Why? Just stay away.

However, if there's a few day's difference between a PPV, or closed-circuit game and the delayed broadcast on FSC, Gol or whatever, can we ask (both from a business standpoint and a fan standpoint) for people to stay away from BS for 72 hours?

In the case of a moderator who needs to log on to preform mod functions (locking, moving, etc.) I can see a need for an "r rule". But, in the other case of the employee who's stuck at work during a champions league game, I can't.

Unfortunately, I don't think both situations can co-exist

Your basketball example is slightly different. With basketball, it's live on basic cable. A good portion of soccer is on closed-circuit or PPV. Someone shouldn't be forced to stay off BS because they can't pay $20 to watch their game live when they can watch it for free 3 or 4 days later.

Heck, i'm sure there's some people that like to watch the Thursday night FanZone game for the first time during that broadcast. What are they supposed to do? Not go on BS at all during that length?

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about people like me that want to make comments in an thread for an Arsenal game (one not even available in the US) without seeing the score for a Prem game that isn't being shown here until later that same day? That happens all of the time.

22. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Does anyone remember that classic Likely Lads episode?

No, just me then.... well maybe Toon if he pops in here.

If people are giving away spoliers in thread-titles, 'such as Donovan is crap' or 'We are the championsssssssss :D '- this surely would basically have the content of a chicken mgnugget and can be said within a post-match or match thread with the accompanying [R]. Anything after that can be discussed in other threads pertaining to certain incidents in the game after a given length of time. Obviously if something serious happens - its up to the mod to make sure that nothing is given away.

Personally, I simply don't have any issue with this - the only time I ever wanted to avoid scores on message boards was when I was in a foreign time zone and I was taping games for later. Now I can appreciate the situation for people in America, especially on the West Coast who may want to tape game so they can watch it later on at night.

I do feel this needs to be protected - and if mods are vigilant and people post where they are supposed to post - there will be no problems.

With the possible new sanctions imposed on newbs, they will be less likely to post spoilers by creating new threads and will generally understand the ways and means of the board in time and won't do it in the future.

If a board is going to get a lot of traffic during certain times, I dunno - think USA during WC time - then it helps to have a sticky guidelines to help the massive influx of people to that board - so they are less likely to offend.

BUT - and this is a big but (no that kinda but). The only way you would get your results spoiled is by actually going into that specific forum. And if you haven't seen the game yet - why the hell are you there? I can appreciate that people use the site for FFA talk etc and I do think that in those forums you should really employ a no-football talk rule (even though its in effect what people do - seeing as little talk about the beautiful game is ever discussed over there.) The only way it would be spoiled for people travesing their FFA spewing is by it showing up the main forum page or via those pesky bots - or by the blind incompetence of a lost poster.

So methinks thus;

- Keep the [R]
    - Let mods keep their eyes open and merge when need be
    - Teach newbs the rules etc
    - Ditch the spoiler spam bots - they are crap
    - Watch the famous 'Likely Lads' episode if you can - its brilliant.
    - Get me a large brandy.

23. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Use the result tags that way people can read it without getting upset.
    <result> </result>

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It was abandoned. What a larf.

25. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=740&threadID=3108046&lastPostID=19074918

"bo ryan is a cry baby"

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=740&threadID=3107959&lastPostID=19075565

"wisconsin getting manhandled on the boards"

http://mb30.scout.com/fillinoisinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=66995.topic

"randle just picked up his second foul"

i could go to countless others, but the fact of the matter remains... you go to a sports site, there are spoilers because you are discussing the game and the team...

if you fail to recognize that, you have problems