The Question that hurts

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Marco9, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What do we do about Capitano Futuro this summer?

His deal expires at the end of this season and according to reports, he seems to have indicated his desire to stay.

I personnaly want him to stay but he needs to get a slight cut in his wages. He is on 6.5M right now.

What would u do?

2. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They're probably going to offer half, and he'll probably make a decision between us, China or USA

wm72 and Java65 repped this.
  3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll sign him at a very reduced salary. I think he might move to CB.

shiboboo and romanista8910 repped this.
  4. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think it'll be a tough call. It's up to him. They'll offer him something liveable (obviously not close to the current wage), and hopefully he's here until he's toast.

He has expressed something of a love/hate relationship with Roma, so I wouldn't be shocked if he bolted for a retirement league.

5. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the unthinkable should happen and Roma were to win the... well you know... I could see him leaving for a big payday overseas.

Go out a winner.

Shen-O, Haakon24 and DDR repped this.
  6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If that which we do not speak of doesn't happen now, I really don't know when it will.

7. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Daniele has been fantastic this year, it's certainly been his best year in a long time. Coincidentally the last time I remember DDR having such an effect it looked like he was going out the door the following summer, something that juxtaposes well with his status as Roma's side ho, always living in the shadow of Totti. I think the best time for him to leave is the same time as Totti, it might be sad that he'll never be il Capitano but there will never be a Futuro Capitano like DDR again so he might as well bow out on that roll.

Selfishly I'd like to see him retire at Roma but I think his Roma playing career should end at the same time as Totti's. When that time comes and if he still has football in him he should go chase that American/Chinese money.

8. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    After we sign Drogba!

9. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I feel like De Rossi lowkey despises Totti from holding him back on being the club captain for so long lmao

10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's off to MLS regardless. Our recent interest in Kessie and Donsah makes it seem even more likely.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, Florenzi will be the lone Roman on the squad. :unsure:

12. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i actually think the complete opposite. I do think that he deserves to be the lone Capitano after Totti. And honestly, who better to take the helms after the Eternal one himself.

Capitano Futuro has to fulfill the prophecy one day, he truly deserves it.

romanista8910 repped this.
  13. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't want him to go. Don't think he should go. I want him to be the captain of this team and retire with us.

Tward, Marko83 and RomaWolf repped this.
  14. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Hopefully we'll have Pellegrini!

Java65 repped this.
  15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have a bitter sweet love for De Rossi ever since he decided what manager to play for and what one not to. It will be a sad day but I can't say it's a question that truely hurts.

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly how I feel. A bit of his luster wore off for me when he held Roma hostage to make him the highest paid player in Serie A.

17. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest he already is the functioning captain right now. I realize he doesn't carry the official title but with Uncle Frank doing the bit part thing these days it really is DDR who is the captain. On the field at least.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #18 hangthadj, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Chiesa di Totti just posted a story on this as well and there is a lot of similar discussion in the thread over there.

http://www.chiesaditotti.com/2017/2/2/14491076/a-de-rossi-discussion-should-roma-bring-him-back

I'm at a loss on the answer to this one. I'll admit that De Rossi is my favorite Roma player (even more than Totti. God, forgive me). I don't want to see him on another team. I don't want to see him in MLS (unless he comes to Columbus, since I support them).

I gotta admit though, this season has been hard to watch at points with him. There have been games when he is one of the 3 or 4 best players on the field still. The Cagliari game recently he was seeing the field so well and just played superb. I know it was just Cagliari, but he still has a ton to offer. But then games like last week vs Sampdoria, or the Juventus game when Higuain just shrugged him off for the goal. Just brutal.

I can handle Roma losing. We all have enough experience with that. But, when I see Roma losing and De Rossi is the main reason, and now time due to declining skill or fitness as opposed to normal DDR temper or insanity, that's harder for me to take. That sends me into a depression for the rest of Sunday. And that's where I'd almost rather see Roma move on so I don't need to see more of the decline.

Hopefully they can somehow win Copa Italia or Europa and send DDR and Totti both off with a trophy. It might be for the best.

EDIT: I just re-read my post and am angry at myself for even typing it. Of course I want DDR to stay another few years and never want to see him play for anyone other than Roma. Goddamnit.

Marco9 and Midfield General repped this.
  19. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the question is harder when DDR makes 6.5 mil. You expect your big money man to be more consistent. If he signs again for us, his deal will be more club friendly, and expectations will be more in line with reality. Unless DDR is checked out, there's no reason he can't contribute the way Keita did for his two seasons with us.

That's where DDR is hopefully honest with himself and the club. If he's done, he should go take a paid vacation in the U.S. If he has anything left to offer, he should give it to us.

20. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR will still have a role to play, but just at reduced minutes and reduced salary. There is no reason he can't be like Keita was for us. I would rather we had a solid heir to DDR already with us, but there really isn't many Italian defensive midfielders out there.

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The idea of a reduced role keeping him fresh for important big games or tricky away games were they need a controller might be the best use for him if rustiness from not playing continually will not be an issue.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you have to go into it planning on benching him. You're just more suited to fill his role when he's out with the freed up wages. We can easily go one man heavier in the CM spots next season, now that DDR isn't making 6.5 on his own.

23. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He was class yesterday, he can still contribute!

wm72 and romanista8910 repped this.
  25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Falvo will be happy. His dream of someone relevant signing for Nebraska and not New York or LA is still alive.

TheNewMeazza repped this.