The Pulisic Conundrum

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TMBMiles, Sep 14, 2018.

?

In What Position Should CP Play With the USMNT?

1. Winger

2. More centrally in some role

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how his production was spotty last season after Dembele and PEA left.

jmplautz repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The conundrum is why he's so much better than our other players who look like amateurs in comparison.

3. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    Amazing what happens when the defense has to cover other players on the field. I can only imagine what happens to him on a cow pasture of a field in Guatemala.

4. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    He had the right parents. Growing up on a professional soccer field, immersed in soccer culture made a huge difference.

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish sarachan/JK/Arena could apply this lesson to his lineup-making.

put a bunch of dmids in attacking roles and you arent going to do a whole lot in terms of goal-scoring or chance creation....not only b/c of those players' limitations but also b/c defenses can hone in on less threats.

6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    its baffling that people try so hard to put the kid down. he is the best player the us has and people think he is the conundrum....he isn't the conundrum its everyone else. its how does the team score goals when they play with guys like mckennie/adams/trapp in the midfield. Also don't talk to me about an adams goal against a 10 man mexico C lineup.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The way Dembele and Auba understood each other made it a pleasure to watch that Dortmund.

Now, it's almost a chore. But they're starting to look, if not better, at least more entertaining.

jmplautz repped this.
  8. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a return to the empty bucket with weah and pulisic on the wings and mckennie and Adams in the Center?

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idk, weah seems to be much better centrally if the last 2 games are any indication.

I just meant get more threats onto the field...however that happens...i.e. dont let teams focus in on pulisic as the sole creator for the team.

but yeah....2 box to box mids...2 dangerous wingers and 2 forwards would be better than what has been put out there, imo.

jmplautz repped this.
  10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% winger for me.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #36 IndividualEleven, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Brooks, McKennie, Adams, Miazga, Yedlin. You're too far up his arse.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's versatile. Play him in a position that drives the best team performance for a given opponent.

13. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    Agreed. Sarachan's lineups have been about preventing goals not scoring them. I'm actually excited to see Him paired with Weah. Both kids go full out.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's with your obsession with butt sex?

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Head up in arse is butt sex? That's just you.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    CP can play wing-forward and false 9.
    He can play across the '3' in 4231.
    He can play wide midfield.

17. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he is the 10 with the us because is the best playmaker and its not close. Is it his best position? doesn't matter that is the most impactful position he can play with the us team. The idea of having him standing up the pitch waiting for 2/3 chances in the entire match for a touch of the ball is crazy.

18. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Frankly, many may disagree, but I don't think he is a great playmaker. He is similar to Dempsey in that regard. He does have playmaking qualities but when he has the ball at his feet he is far more dangerous going to goal himself than he is dishing off. In fact, much of his danger as an assist person is based upon defenses reacting to his danger as a scoring threat.

Our primary goal with respect to Pulisic (in my opinion) is to get him the ball in dangerous positions rather than have him pass the ball to others in dangerous positions.

I also believe he is not our best play maker at this point. The problem is that our best play makers are on the older side. We have some potential on the younger side but it is not tested/proven at the international level yet.

For the time being, I believe we should be proceeding without a dedicated 10 but spread the duties somewhat.

19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you can't spread the duties when there is one only one guy lol.he is the best american playmaker it doesn't matter if he compares to some other country because those guys don't play for the usmnt. He had a great pass in the champions league match but kagawa got confused that he was supposed to try to score and killed it.

20. bongsandthongs

bongsandthongs New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    I’m a fan of playing a player where he will play best. I think he is at his best bombing down the wings.

21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    We obviously disagree. I don't even believe he is the best American playmaker and even if he were I would rather a lesser player give him the ball than the other way around. Either way, we are better off with Pulisic receiving the ball going to goal than Pulisic delivering the ball to a player going to goal. Ironic in a way that you mention Pulisic giving a great pass to a player that botched it. That is partly my point.

I would put him in a free roaming role just below a lone striker. He would be able to attack the goal himself and would be free to create for others as he has done at times. I wouldn't call that a 10...more the way Dempsey played at times throughout his career (and countless other players as well).

EruditeHobo repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering Horvath doesn't play at all. Guzan sucks & Hamid has been little better than a disaster, maybe he can be our best goalkeeper too.