The Power of the USMNT Scarf

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by NBlue, Apr 11, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE POWER OF THE SCARF

I wanted to let everyone know to be very careful in using the scarves as they may have significant karmatic effects. Background -- For years, I have been a follower of the Florida Gators -- I grew up in Gainesville and went to school at UF and we have had an up & down basketball program over the last 20 years. The last 5 years we have made it to the tourney but gone out in the first weekend.

On the first weekend this year, I watched the game with my brother-in-law. In the second round we were playing a team from Wisconsin and we did not come out of the gate particularly well. I had just received my scarves and showed them to my brother-in-law and we decided to put one on -- almost immediately we went on a run and essentially secured the game. The next game was against Georgetown and we forgot initially about the scarves from the last game. A friend of ours (not a US Soccer fan) picked up one and began to put it on for a bit. Georgetown made a big run and took the lead and things looked a bit bleak. We immediately instructed him to take off the scarf and from that moment we were clad in the powerful US scarves (myself in the scarf with the picture of Germany and my brother-in-law in the snake scarf) for the rest of the tourney.

Blowouts of Villanova and George Mason ensued and finally a momentous blowout national championship win over UCLA -- of course, we were clad in scarves the entire time. There was no getting those things off us during the run.

As many of you are aware, the stock of three of our players -- Noah, Horford and Brewer -- went up significantly during the run to such a point where all were thought to be first round NBA picks and Noah likely a lottery selection (if not top 5). Conventional wisdom was that some or all of them would likely test the waters of the NBA as most kids (who have the opportunity) do these days. Last Friday was a celebration of the tournament victory at our home gym in Gainesville and it was televised live in Florida. Of course, I felt the need to put the scarf on just to enjoy the feeling once again. Within moments of placing the scarf around my neck, Noah, Horford and Brewer all announced they would return to school next year to attempt to lead the Gators to another national championship.

For someone that has gone throught the pain of the Ron Zook era of Florida Football and 5 years of being beaten by lower seeds in basketball -- it was clear that the happenings of the past month could not arrive purely from good fortune or the fates. No, there is little doubt in my mind that the scarves contain of powerful karmic powers and should be used wisely (and only for good). After the ceremony, I folded up the scarf in my drawer where it will remain safe for the next few months. I will pack it soon, though, and wear it again, for the next time, in Gelsenkirchen . . .

Thanks so much to Fidlerre, Magpie and anyone else who assisted with the scarves for helping our dreams come true :)