The player(s) you dislike....but yet would want on your team.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by DerMongerer, May 11, 2006.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    What are the players currently playing or retired that you either dislike or worse utterly hate, but as much as you're not a fan of theirs you'd find yourself wanting them on your team or just applauding them. Perhaps you hated their attitude or effort they gave on the pitch.

Or maybe because of what that player did to your favourite club/NT side in a tournament. Perhaps give one for offence and another for defence.

Here's my two:

1) Claudio Gentile, This guy was responsible for neutralizing both Zico and Maradona at WC82 using some of the dirtiest most underhanded tackling I've ever seen at a WC. I am amazed this guy wasn't sent off vs. Argentina, and yet I have to admit I'd have him "man-marking" any sides' top attacking player. His memorable quote when questioned about how he played vs. Argentina: "Football is not for ballerinas".

2) Romario, Yes I like Brazil, but this is by far the most arrogant self centered footballer* I've ever seen in my life. Constant run-ins/feuds with coaches, players, and yes even fans. Prefers (oops I meant demands) that he be allowed to train by himself, and was known to fly home to Rio during club seasons while at PSV/Barcelona without telling anyone in advance.

On a football pitch he'd never even move 3 yards off his line to track a ball that wasn't perfectly placed to him. And often looked disinterested on the pitch. Yet once the ball was at his feet he was magic. Adept at blowing past people over short distances. And I am convinced had he dedicated himself to reaching his full-potential as a footballer, he'd have went down as one of the top10 players ever.

His memorable quote which pretty much showed his (lack of) class when speaking to PSV teammates who complained about his (obvious) lack of training fitness which led to frequent injuries when playing in Holland: "Your job is to run, my job is to score goals".

* - denotes that I'll always like this guy:D