The Pipa Please Retire Petition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Mar 23, 2019.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, due south would land you somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bill, you ignorant slut.

Like the Crew, you seem stuck in the orthodoxy that you need a classic #10. You don't. Dozens and dozens of teams around the world play in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and other setups with what is a traditional #10.

For whatever goddamn reason as long as Pipa has been on this team he's been the first name on the team sheet and the rest of the team and formation needed to revolve around him. This happened under Berhalter, and it continues to happen under Porter. This happens when we go two months in the middle of last season without Pipa picking up a goal or an assist. This happens despite the fact that we should have cut bait years ago.

I'll use the example of our last coach, Gregg Berhalter here. Berhalter took the USMNT's best central midfielder and used him as as an outside back in the last game in order to get his best possible team on the field. I might not have agreed with it, but it at least showed courage. I'll use another example. Who was Roma's number 10 last season? How about when they beat Barcelona 3-0? Trick question? Maybe. They didn't play with a traditional #10.

You ask who else is available. I say you have a roster of 25 or so players. You have a number 10 who is only affecting the game negatively. You play in a league where you are not forced to play a 4-2-3-1.

Porter needs to figure it the ******** out. But continuing to defer this team's entire set up to Pipa is not a recipe for success. He's just not good enough anymore. It's past time to move on.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you agree with douchenozzle that we just need to go get Mata? Done and done?

Why stop there? Screw him. I want DeBruyne. Modric. Pogba.Silva. Kroos.

Let's just go for it. Haslam is rich right? Might as well get the best

Then we can inquire about Harry Kane. Apparently money is no object and these guys are dying to.come play in front of empty seats.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    First.....what?

Second, you read my post and this was your reply to what I said?

Odd.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you odd. You're the one hanging around in New Jersey

I just asked if you were in general agreement with the stupidface

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The things we do for family. I even drank a Wawa coffee this morning. It was terrible. But, it was worth it to say thank you and I love you to my mom.

Well considering I didn't say anything about Mata, Harry Kane, Kross, Modric (swooooooon), I'm not sure why you would think that my argument was the same. Would I love Mata and think he's a reasonable target for a handful of MLS teams in the next 18-24 months? Absolutely. But, my post said nothing of the sort.

Again, I was speaking to the orthodoxy of the reliance on the #10. If your number #10 is not producing, you need to try something else. If there is no other adequate substitute on the roster you switch up the system a bit and find different ways to attack. You don't continue to run 10 other guys out there to be his sidekick. You don't watch him slow down play, kill counter attacks, pass the ball backwards, and say "Well he's our Number 10! Nothing else we can do!!!" You make changes.

This isn't rocket science. If you don't have a target forward you don't rely on a Jairo Arrietta type to hold up play and bring others into the attack. You've seen managers play with a false 9. You've seen managers play with 3 center backs. You see managers switch to a 4-2-4 in dying stages of a game to get a goal (or at the beginning of the game to crush the soul of Italy if you are Giam Piero Ventura).

So, to answer your question, no I don't think Mata is the answer because I am looking at solutions for NOW in 2019. And that solution begins with moving away from a total reliance on Pipa and bowing down at the alter of a #10.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I still think MLS would never let Mata play in Columbus. We aren't big name market. Hell, we're on national TV the same amount of times in three years that Cincinnati is on in a month. Not much has changed for us as far as MLS pecking order. We're still bottom feeders in Garber's vision.

I would rather we looked for someone younger but last time we did that we signed a winger from Brazil's second division.

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re having quite the off day. First you rant about my post and act like Hang said any of it, which he didn’t. Strange.

Second, I never said Cbus should sign Mata specifically, just that if they wanna make a splash by signing a replacement for Pipa, Mata is free in a couple months. He’ll be 31, is an attacking player, from a big country, and a big club team. It’s the type of signing you spend big on, which has been what the Haslam’s are said to be ready to do.

Now, Bill, can you tell me why Mata wouldn’t come to MLS? Like, an actual reasoned response.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yes, you think MLS would block the move.

I think that’s an antiquated view of the league tbh. I’m all down for conspiracy theories, but I just can’t buy that one.

Tobias C repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It may be antiquated but until I see different from the league, it's also true.

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK.

First off, he would need to agree to come here. He wouldnt. Its a crap league where they dont speak his language.

Second, at a guess he'd want 20 million and Man U would want a fee in that vicinity. Nobody in their right mind would pay that kind of mohey for an MLS player.

Third, he plays for Manchester ********ing United. Who would leave one of the biggest clubs in the world for a life if total obscurity in Columbus Ohio?

Theres more but the whole thing is simply ridiculous

the_rickler repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats all well and good but it remibds me of when a coach says " we don't really have a big forward, we're going to score goals by committee"

Which means "we're going to be losing a lot"

In this case, youre basically ssying that you dont have a quarterback and don't need one.

I dont agree. Ive seen too many teams that didnt know what to do with the ball most of the time and ended up faking it. It rarely works.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sort of thread would be an easy target for hacks like Andrew King. That being said, I would defend it until the end; though, I would be annoyed to do so.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did this look like a team that knew what it was doing last night? When we finished around 20th in goals scored last season in MLS, did this look like a team that knew what it was doing?

Come on, Bill. Let go.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what? Who are the last two or three players that the league have vetoed?

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) its a free transfer THIS SUMMER. Are you even reading my posts?

2) i listed 6 or 7 players that are far superior to mata already, they all came here. Ibra. Villa. Kaka. Henry. And on and on. Are you even reading my posts?

3) you think mata doesn’t speak english after how many years in england? A) thats laughable. B) he does, I’ve seen interviews in english.

4) all the stars say they love they can live a normal life in the US as opposed to europe. What are you talking about?

5) mata would want $20 million? Lol. Ok.

Laughable post, sir.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not. This was and maybe is a crap team that needs to win 1-0 or will lose and when Steffen is gone that ain't gonna happen. Which is why I've been saying that they need a keeper, period.

Beyond that, not only is this a team that can't really score it's a team that can't play Porter ball.

What it boils down to is the whole thing needs to be blown up. There are maybe 2 or 3 starters who are worth keeping. Higuain isn't the worst of them and he isn't the whole problem. Focusing on him.will.solve nothing

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Based on the fact that big names (Ibra,Dos Santos) go to big markets. Do you honestly believe the Crew would be allowed to sign Pity Martinez? Do you really think all teams are treated the same?

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know its because 1) small teams won’t pay and 2) players don’t wanna go there vs 3) sprawling league conspiracy? You keep stating opinions as facts.

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This has always struck me as odd. Don Garber has said the league wants big names in big cities. Sometimes, they change rules mid season (Dos Santos) or pay transfer fees (Dempsey) to make this happen. This is called a business plan. When the drunken oaf on BigSoccer cites the same plan it's a conspiracy.

21. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Holy **** Batman, I'll have what he's drinking. The "Don" with a "business plan". If you believe that, I have two tickets to this years home opener at Inter Rovers FC Miami Albion for you.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    All MLS teams are created equal but some are more equal than others.

Feraligatr19, Flyer Fan and redi44crew repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they want big names in big cities. Duh. I missed the part though were its outlawed that smaller teams can take part. Again, DC got Rooney. Orlando got Kaka. Portland got Valeri. Not exactly huge markets, though those three have in common a willingness to pay big bucks, something teams like KC, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, etc don’t.

Economics, not conspiracy.

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who thinks Atlanta and New England are equal? Or LAFC and Dallas? NYCFC and Colorado? What nonsense. Teams were created equal in 1996, sure, but it’s 2019 now.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Valeri doesn't have the name recognition that Rooney or Kaka have. Orlando is one odd situation. Had to jump through hoops that Atlanta didn't, did their best MetroStars impression then gets to keep all of the Larin transfer. Doesn't make any damn sense. Still, when I see huge names popping up around league offices, yes these are offices not clubs, I'll change my mind. Until then, there's two decades of MLS sending big names to big cities.

Business plan, not conspiracy.

Teams were not equal in 1996. That's why some had a Donadoni, some had a Doctor. At that time, MLS owned a majority of each team and preached parity. In 2019, MLS owns a majority of each team and preaches parity. We have nicer toys but I'm not convinced the training wheels have come off.

Draghignazzo repped this.