The Phantom Goal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Phantom goal sucked but at the end of it we could not even tie T&T. If Mexico tanked it on purpose, oh well. I never expected a returned favor from Mexico, especially with the current political climate. It should not come down to any of that. Lumpy soggy fields, phantom goals, it's all CONCACAF.

roadkit repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been a delightful trip though.

dark knight repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really glad that most people are focused on these boards on what we did wrong, not on the phantom goal. I haven't watched a replay of it, nor does it matter to me, because if we couldn't beat T and T in a game for all the marbles, then all the rest of it matters not. We are just no good.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rightfully so.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That being said, it is absolutely in the American nature to sue anyone they can, so don't be surprised that Gulati and Co are probably figuring out right now how to file that appeal.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If Honduras wants to appeal, great, but the US shouldn't be appealing.

7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Oh come on. Australia's goal-hero is an MLS has-been!

Wait...

8. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Honduras should appeal. That cost them qualification. They are unlikely to win the playoff, IMO.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Honduras has enough fight to make it hard for the Socceroos. I think Australia will find playing in San Pedro Sula a pretty daunting task.

10. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  11. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look we didn't earn it the way we should have. And there are lots of places to point fingers.

But some of you are either lying to yourselves or haven't played at a very high level. Of course you want to qualify. But any player would take a back door route if given one. You only get so many chances and you never know what is around the next corner for your career. Just ask Stu Holden!!

Front door, back door. i wouldn't give a damn. I would have sold my soul to get to march onto the pitch for just one WC match.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Honduras is not appealing and we are unappealing.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We aren't exactly setting the world on fire ourselves at the moment.

14. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    little more on point, that was { one of the} worst calls ive ever seen. handball too.
    though a penalty might have been called too.

nfiniti repped this.
  15. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wht were the circumstances for us to qualify for our first modern WC? Wasn't it because Mexico was disqualifed? For using overaged player in some random youth tournament?

Maybe the deep State USSF or CORRUPTFIFA can find a player on a youth team from any of the countries that qualified and give us their spot again?

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    1) "we are just no good"

How do we know this?

Bruce Arena passed over a lot of good players for familiarity and favoritism. Omar Gonzalez over Miazga and Cameron. Bradley over Cameron at DM. Zusi at RB in san pedro? Really? never calling in Dwyer and Rowe again after impressing in Gold Cup? why was this always ignored...?

The truth is this team is much better if the old-boy network is removed.

2) "nor does it matter to me"

except that it should. regardless If we don't deserve to be in the world cup the phantom goal proves that panama did not EARN their place in the World Cup either. The rules of the game state that ball has to pass the line for it to be goal. its not a judgement call, its a known rule. You can argue on emotion that we don't deserve to be in the world cup but based on the rules of the game we EARNED it more then Panama did. A tie puts us one point above them. USSF should be protesting this viciously. And the Costa Rica vs Panama match should be replayed. FIFA has previously allowed a replay of a game before between two African teams.

I would rather conquer a mission by knowing I could have done better (USA) then do it by cheating or by the non-moral way (Panama).

jagum repped this.
  17. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    costa rice sends their z team honduras wins 9-0. let it drop. it was a penalty for honduras anyway

18. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    And a handball by Panama. It could have been called either of those things, but what it was not even close to being, was a goal.

19. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    refereeing wise, you have to call the first thing. penal.

nfiniti and Excape Goat repped this.
  20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, South Africa is replaying their WCQ match against Senegal because of a "bad" penalty call. The game was played last year. The replay will be next month. Both teams still have chances to qualify.

It was a bad call, but I have seen worst calls. The Panama's goal was much worse. So a rematch is actually possible, but I am one of those who believe that Panama would easily beat Coast Rica in the replay. I am just pointing out facts.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/06/south-africa-senegal-world-cup-qualifier-replayed

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Excuses? C'Mon...

Sure the goal was never in but if there was a video replay, this would have been a penalty for sure.

Bottom line is the US eliminated themselves by being terrible on the road in the hex.

22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Saw this posted in a different thread and wanted to bring it here. Thank you, LouisZ.

Personally, I wouldn't want to qualify for the WC this way.

Excape Goat repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read the article? The match was replayed because the referee was banned for life for manipulating the result of the match. A completely justified reason to replay a match.

nfiniti repped this.
  24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else want to explain how we know this? Other than the reasons staring you in the face?

25. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    one of the things i was wondering, people keep seeing a penalty, the only clear infraction I saw was a Panama hand ball.

Several things can be equally true and temperament and mood have a lot more to do with where you fall in rankings the truest of these statements:

#1 Panama scored only 1 goal Tuesday night, and should be in fifth place. That's the reality of what actually occurred on the field.

#2 We were so thoroughly god awful and horrible that we are deservedly out, regardless of the fact that Panama scored a non-existent goal and based upon the rules of the game, should actually be out instead. Our hex, and our performance on Tuesday night were just so bad that it doesn't matter as to what happened.

#3 We should lodge a complaint based on the egregious non-goal that was allowed.

#4 Panama should have gotten a PK anyway for a "foul" that may or may not have taken place.

#5 Panama was guilty of a handball and/or there was no PK foul on the play.

I think all arguments are reasonable to some degree or another except for #4 which I flat out don't see.

#1: I prioritize this above all else, because I've seen innumerable games and tournaments won unfairly over the years. Teams win despite being outplayed all the time, Germany made a WC final despite sucking for virtually the entire tournament in 2002 comparatively speaking to their typical standards (outside of the 1997-2004 dip in form). I agree that we were terrible, but that doesn't matter when based on the rules of the game, we should be in the playoff period, no matter how embarrasing we were. Remember Mexico? Without our help they aren't in '14, and in Brazil they played outstanding. Doesn't matter how you play in the hex, see how great we were in 2006 and how little it mattered.

#5 That's my perception of what happened on the play.

#2 I can understand the reasoning here. Don't reward such a horror show campaign by being sore losers and point at Panama as the problem, or even worse, engage in #3. Sometimes you win off bad calls, sometimes you lose. This time we lost.

#3 I can see the reasoning. Based on the letter of law and what happened, we could lodge a complaint. I just don't want to because I think the message to the fed in failing is more important than having our complaint rejected.

#4 I disagree with this perception.

I think the temperament, and one's mood combined with how one deals with scenario's of this sort, I don't think it's cut and dried, because after a disaster like this, some people want to focus on fairness, some people want to focus on rules of the game, some want to focus on long term overarching goals etc, and the way people fit on this spectrum is based upon how they fit those priorities rather than any side being fundamentally right.

Marius Tresor repped this.