The Phantom Goal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's definitely insult to injury; I don't see how any CR could have possibly called that a good goal.

And to those who might say PAN should have had a PK on the play, a PK is a judgement call. Calling something that didn't have any part of the ball crossing the line is not.

Still shouldn't have mattered.

2in10 repped this.
  3. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I assume you watched on bein.

I was watching on Telemundo and they cut over to the Panama game and spent a good amount of time showing the goal as it happened and talking about it and the implications.

Did bein not cut to the Panama game to show the progress?

4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And a penalty isn't a goal. If we don't have goal technology, why wasn't there an additional assistant goal line ref?

Excape Goat and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I did watch Bein in a bar. They had a few cut ins, but I was focused on the US game and getting pissed about the small screen. They may have talked about it.

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I had it on NBC Universo but the bottom of the screen was cut off during most of the replays so I didn't see just how blatant it was until I watched Twellman's rant where they showed the replay.

I said this last night, but I can see a universe where FIFA makes CRC and PAN replay the game and we just get knocked out again by Australia.

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - hard to imagine we could beat Australia at this point. But we could pretend to have hope a little longer!

neems, ttrevett, chad and 1 other person repped this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    BeIN was a f*cking mess last night with their split screens.

They didn't know that Honduras scored a second goal. The third goal was shown and said the score is 2-2.

The split screens with South America just to show Uruguay, essentially already in walking around the field (albeit, at a faster pace than the US team)

And then to top it off Phil Schoen is an embarrassment. Last hex, he didn't know there was no offside on a goal kick. Last night, he was going over US bench subs who may still enter the game even though the US had used all three.

He and Cobi were completely unaware what was going on in Trinidad being in their Miami studio broadcasting the game.

Just an awful night all the way around.

mbar, jnielsen, bill0 and 6 others repped this.
  9. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Was on Universo as well. They had showed it in small screen a couple of times and were confused as to whether it counted or not. After a while it was determined good and they showed it full screen. Except the entire bottom half of the play was cut off. Couldn't see the ball at all. I actually chuckled as to what a terrible replay job it was. Brought some needed levity to my well-being at the time.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Mexican co-worker today - said the Mexicans didn't try and you could tell they were getting whispered hints on how to play soft from the Hondurans. He's basically a conspiracy theorist anyway. Apparently that's how you get when you follow Mexican soccer for your whole life.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    To be fair, he corrected himself before completing his comments. But yeah - Phil and Cobi sucked. I'm sick and tired of all the talking by American announcers (or even many of the foreign announcers doing games for American audience). It's just blah, blah, blah. I just want some simple play by play and some color comments sprinkled in during the down moments, but these guys feel they have to fill every second and it completely takes away from the game. For the first 10 minutes (and many times after) I was like "STFU!!" - I might has well have been watching the game in a bar with no TV sound where people around me are talking about their work or girlfriend problems.

jnielsen and tomásbernal repped this.
  12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He did it two separate times, only correcting himself the second time.

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Ah, I guess I missed the first one. I was probably trying to tune him out.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I am a little bit surprised that USSF didn't lodge a protest or something; they're probably rightfully too ashamed to do it.

ttrevett repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    because there shouldn;t be a need to. Broken glass, ice, rubber floor, that game should not have been lost.

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Oh I agree with you, but given all the money the Fed and Co. stand to lose I'm a little surprised they aren't grasping at all the straws.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No straws. This is D-Day for them. This is the day they feared when they lost in Costa Rica of 'the worst case scenario' and made the change. There are no straws to grasp at.

Winoman repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hit a post.

Panama got a goal that wasn’t a goal.

Honduras got a goal off the crossbar and off the back of the goalie’s head.

CONCACAF went full CONCACAF, and we let it happen by allowing ourselves to be in that position in the first place.

Deadtigers, mbar, jnielsen and 18 others repped this.
  19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I doubt there's any recourse. The ref made a mistake - that's that.

jnielsen and HartwickFan repped this.
  20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Probably; unless they find out he was on the take you're probably right.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not the only ones who could be looking at a protest. Honduras should be in the World Cup right now, not a playoff with Australia.

But it's not going to change. Thierry Henry got France into the World Cup with a handball, and that wasn't overturned.

22. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the 40-yd wonder strike from a guy who trialed with Minnesota United, who said "thanks, but we're good." Freak goal which he'll probably never hit again.

You can say Omar's OG was a freaky play which was awful luck but that second goal (Nagbe taking a Sunday stroll over to cover him...ugh) is the inexcusable one.

That kind of night.

23. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Agree, that there is likely no recourse. If the ball is over the line or not is a judgement call, and protest are not upheld for judgment calls. Protests are usually only upheld for misapplication of the Laws...Giving an extra sub, giving a PK for an indirect foul, etc.

How many times have protests been upheld for goals that have been scored by attackers who, on replay after the game, were shown to be offside.....never, because that is a judgment call; even if replay shows it to be poor judgment.

24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Pretty sure it was the AR that made the call seeing the ball over the line not seeing that it was outside the post. CR likely took AR's signal to mean it had gone over prior to that when it was still on the line. They should have communicated better. GLT, AAR, VAR all would have prevented this.

25. SamKnight

SamKnight Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    United States
    Aug 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That is pure BS, yes Mexico didn't field their A team but to say that they let Honduras Win is false. If that were true then they would not have subbed on 3 offensive players 2 of which are starters Tecatito,Guardado and Gio Dos Santos.

Anyway both the USA federation and Honduras should protest and call for Fifa to have them replay the match, but even if it is replayed CR would just let them win imo.

Geneva, y-lee-coyote and Marius Tresor repped this.