Review: The Penalty Non-Call (Edu)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So, like most of you here and like everyone on the ESPN broadcast, after seeing the replay about 10 times of Edu seemingly clattering into Aquino in the second half and the referee inexplicably not calling what looked to be a clear penalty, I was confused as to why it wasn't called. I was also confused as to why there was debate about it from those who watched the Uni Deportes broadcast of the game, as I assumed we had all seen the same angles.

Well, I have an answer, and its pretty definitive. Turns out...the referee got it (almost) completely right. In fact, we may have been the unfortunate ones.

View this video:

http://futbol.univision.com/seleccion-nacional/videos/video/2013-03-27/mexico-vs-estados-unidos-otro

30 or so seconds into the video there is a super slo-mo replay from a very nice angle. In that sequence you'll see Aquino kick the ground well before the ball, and he'll kick the ground HARD:

[​IMG]

Upon doing so, Aquino shanks his shot completely without Edu ever making contact with the ball, and is already falling off balance before Edu comes into contact with him. Additionally, when Aquino is rolling around on the ground in agony grabbing his ankle (I don't think he was faking being hurt, because kicking the ground that hard hurts), you can see the patch of grass that got kicked up about 2 meters behind him.

I was adamant that the non-call was the wrong call...but it turns out the call was wrong in the sense that it should have been a goal kick in our favor, incredible.

This was THE big play of the game, and I wanted to make this thread in order to spread this specific angle since ESPN didn't show it, and to help people understand what the referee was looking at (look at his positioning, he clearly saw Aquino kick the ground hard).

Anyway, my mind has been changed, and I can't believe it.

Prime Time, Bajoro, odave and 31 others repped this.
  2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's equity for Edu from the football gods for the nonsensical waved off goal in South Africa.

3. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. I feel much better about this point now. Too bad, so sad, Mexico. We will be keeping that screenshot handy for a while for 'visitors' to our forum ;-)

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The non-call may have been right, but the ref still got it wrong. (Huh ?)

The re-start was a corner. The ref thought that the shanked ball was because Edu got the last touch. I suspect the phantom Edu touch was the reason the ref did not signal PK.

asoc, deejay, SPA2TACU5 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to argue with Ima's or Matt's post (especially the latter) -- but I think there's still a very large common sense argument for Edu to simply not make a challenge like that, in the box, from behind, at the spot, that late, in this stadium, in a WCQ match.

I mean, look at that still frame in the original post -- he is coming in hard and low from behind.

I understand he was trying to block that shot and not wipe out Aquino's calves -- but why oh why would you present that situation to the ref?

Plus -- look at the whole play, via that clip:
    Edu completely sleeps on his mark Aquino. That is why he has to make such a late bonehead challenge. He lunges in because he's ballwatching and lets Aquino drift behind him into a completely open goal scoring position.

However -- Guzan is there, Omar is there, Beaz is even on the line. I still say you do not make that challenge and give the ref every opportunity to point to the spot.

And this is not some macro beef against Mo; just that was a bad play.

Geneva, Golazo, owian and 10 others repped this.
  6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Exactly.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Absolutely 100% agree. This thread was not made to excuse Mo. This was made to excuse the ref and to give some insight on an angle many observers hadn't seen.

Not a good decision to dive in there by Mo, especially away...and in CONCACAF.

8. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcers hit it spot on too...el Profe said it wasn't a penalty, and another announcer (don't know who) even got it right that it should have been a goal kick. Quality stuff from the univision guys...especially comparing to Darke and Tays who shouted penalty without even thinking.

Winoman, jamtime, Craig P and 4 others repped this.
  9. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I posted this in the general thread, but if we're doing a missed penalty review, here's the Bradley Push + Swan Dive for comparison.

Anybody have a clip and opinion on Cameron's header from Herc's corner?

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Divers

Bclay and Justin Z repped this.
  11. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    To be fair, they didn't see the same angle. Although I'm always happy to blast Twellsie.

canchon repped this.
  12. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watching ESPN too. From the main broadcast angle, it looked incriminating. But I remember thinking it would be nice to see another angle. Edu's body completely blocks any view we have of the challenge.

That said, CyC is right. Boneheaded play by Edu, especially nursing a 0-0 tie in the 75th min.

Germerica repped this.
  13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Boneheaded Top Plays of the Week:

1. Maurice Edu
    2. Jermaine Jones
    3. Brad Davis

Congrats gentlemen!

canchon and ttrevett repped this.
  14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So true...but despite all those.....4 pts.

15. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's interesting, and I still feel lucky as hell that they weren't awarded a penalty there.

deuteronomy and ttrevett repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. I was just holding my head in my hands when Davis chopped that guy down from behind in the late going. Where is mentality in that?

17. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want Aquino to shoot unchallenged?

cnaw repped this.
  18. Alain10

Alain10 Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the slo mo video. Clearly Edu hit Aquino with his knee just when the Mexican player was swinging, causing him to kick the ground. You can see Aquino's shorts buckled, that's a penalty for me.
    Usually we're the receiving end of referee's bad call. We were lucky this time and I'm happy the team got a point in Azteca.

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

jackiesdad repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We have been called for stupid fouls like that in the past.
    Glad the Guatemalan Ref just let us play out there.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the game, I thought both penalty shouts were legit and we had escaped. After seeing the slo-mo on both, the Guatemalan ref was right. Chicharito felt a hand touching him and threw himself on the ground (was not pushed there) and Aquino was thrown off by the presence of Edu and kicked the ground. I actually feel relieved after seeing the video of both incidents.

22. Alain10

Alain10 Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Watch the video again. Edu's right knee hit Aquino while the mexican was swingning.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That first Chicharito penalty claim was so hilarious. The Unimas Television Play-by-play guy Ramirez was going crazy, screaming for a penalty. The color commentator Bracamontes basically said he did not think it was a penalty.

After looking at the replay I agree with you. And what goes around comes around cause Gomez had a lot worse happen to him in the friendly in the Azteca in the penalty box. No call was made then either.

24. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Honestly, the lack of pressure on the ref to give the PK was for me one of the strongest signals that our possession-based approach to defense had paid off. I really think that, had Mexico had several closer opportunities that got everyone baying for blood and raised the adrenaline levels, the PK would have been likelier to be called (fitting a mental narrative of "it was coming" that affects even refs). Instead, it was an egregious but isolated incident.

Ridiculously poor decision to dive in, though, from someone who's been through the wars. That's getting called in Central America close to 95% of the time.

ImaPuppy and Reccossu repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Even if the ref thought that Aquino had kicked the ball away first, he still could have called a penalty for the simple foul of coming through Aquino from behind. It's not as if Aquino stops being player just because the ball was gone. Now, many refs are reluctant to award penalties on plays with no scoring chances, but it doesn't mean that many such penalties aren't awarded. It's still a foul in the area.

asoc, AndyMead and jackiesdad repped this.