The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yeah, sort of, but nor Gomez or Cook have had an outstanding campaign so far. They are good and playing, but it's not the same as was the breakthrough of Alli, Kane or Rashford in recent years.
    As for Mount, I think he's clearly more talented than Baker ever was, also he is younger than Baker was when he played at Vitesse. I try to be not too optimistic, but if someone, Mount can break the Chelsea-curse of youngsters.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the same subject (of pathetic one-footedness) did we all see that shocking effort from Salah last night. Not one of the many commentators criticised his "technique".

3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Not much important loans on TDD, but Ejaria at Sunderland or Davenport at Burton could be interesting.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh yeah, forgot, and that Phil Jones own goal, the other night (because he insisted on using the wrong foot) . Even the pundits criticised that one. I saw a couple of similar embarrassing goals conceded in a youth match today. Players just needed to boot the ball away with the left foot. Easy you'd think. But I wonder if the coaches even mention it when reviewing performances. They'll no doubt be banging on about all manner of other aspects of the game.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Following Liverpool u18s losing their third match on the run (to Stoke) Steve Gerrard was really miffed at his players, criticising them (especially the defenders) for not being men, warriors, and not having any bottle. Taking defeat far too lightly.

I was interested listening to the Man U coach who was at pains to stress how much work they have put in to warn their players that they will probably not have a career at united, and to educate them about their options - with the possibility of going down the divisions. I couldn't help wondering if it was a reaction to the recent documentary that painted a bleak view of the academy system, with the false hope of making it big.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    The three biggest stars of the U17 WC winner squad are injured: Foden, Sancho and Brewster. Also there is a lot of serious injuries among young English players though some of the foreign stars in the Premier League are injured as well. Is the English game more dangerous? It is just accident? Or the referees are the culprits?

8. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They all got ankle injuries too. Foden's was off a bad tackle, Brewster's was a bad fall, and I missed Sancho's but think it was fairly innocuous. These things happen.

Also, I'll hotly dispute that Hudson-Odoi wasn't as much of a star as anyone. ;)

9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I knew someone would be upset about is :) But it would have weakened my point to write "3 of the 4 biggest stars"!

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt the dangerousness of the English game had much to do with Sancho's injury.

11. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Do you have any information that suggests these young English players are getting injured more than their foreign peers based abroad?

You notice the young English/Premier League based players getting injured more because you pay attention to them more.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    It was just a thought, maybe it wasn't right. Still find it frustrating that a lot of English players (not just youngsters) getting injured, especially in this part of the year.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    All the ex-players and coaches at clubs seem to claim academy football is inadequate for preparing young players to be professionals, yet clubs like Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal won't even put a team into the Checkatrade Trophy competition, where they would get more competitive and demanding matches.

Chelsea went out on penalties to Lincoln in the semi final last night. It was a proverbial "baptism of fire". For most of the first 35 minutes they were grimly defending and hardly making any headway into the opposition half. Still it was good experience for them.

Sterling may be on £750,000 a year but he still doesn't look like he's pushing for the top:

The Mail previewed the game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...dy-wants-Chelsea-lift-Checkatrade-Trophy.html

14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Almost every single english player I enjoy watching gets frequent injuries, maybe dribblers get more knocks in England than anywhere else. Schedule is crazy too. Or maybe just a curse. Wilshere, Loftus Cheek, Dozell, Sturridge, Winks, Hughes, Lallana, Barkley etc etc. Foden did his ankle following a very strong tackle from Maguire.

hussar repped this.
  15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For anyone interested: There is a child abuse special on tonight, with the ex City and Crewe youth coach, who has just been convicted, in mind, on Ch4 at 11pm (Thurs). Gary Speed was apparently one of those abused.

The Potter repped this.
  16. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s absolutely dreadful. I will say the Gary Speed connection whilst compelling is conjecture.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    For what it's worth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43077179

"Former Wales manager and captain Gary Speed told police that he was not abused by disgraced football coach Barry Bennell, his family has said.

"Mr Speed's family has asked for the 'unwarranted speculation to cease'."

Better to leave that thread alone.

The Potter repped this.
  18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one see the documentary then? Understandable really.

For what it's worth: a witness said he was in the same bed as Speed and the paedo. Also, it's worth noting that some of those who have now come out and given evidence of what went on, previously denied anything of concern happening.
    Understandable really.

And Speed's family still can't for the life of them think why on earth he would kill himself.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    There was a channel 4 piece in the 90’s about Bennell after he was convicted and the clubs seemed to just want the story to disappear. Amazingly it pretty much did. I think he used to run a sports shop in the Crewe area that I visited once as a kid to buy shin pads.

The safeguarding protocols were pretty much non existent back then unfortunately.

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My uncle was the secretary for Midlands ABA when CRBs came in to force. He used to love to go on about how safe boxing was for children and the statistic he used was how many swimming coaches (several hundred) never applied for CRB's in comparison to the handful of boxing coaches who didn't apply.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43115781

Tom Davies and Ryan Sessegnon are in the top 10 of most promising prospects aged under 20 in European football. (Before anyone says Foden or Future England International Curtis Jones, they only look at senior league experience.)

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Tom Davies, 5star & TAA only a 3star?!? I'm not sure about that to be honest. Also Mason Mount isn't anywhere on that list. I'm always dubious about these kind of lists even though they are fun to look at.

hussar repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Here's the list fwiw:

965593390162292736 is not a valid tweet id

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Heads up: Football focus has a feature tomorrow (Sat) about young English players, particularly with those going abroad in mind. Sancho is interviewed.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--