The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yep I agree. And for the first time since he broke through, I actually think he will be pivotal at Chelsea. They're crying out for someone like him and once he comes back, I can see him being first choice.

hussar repped this.
  2. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019

Sam1010, hussar and AJ123 repped this.
  3. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    I thought Cantwell played really well. Not sure if he’s English, but freeman at Sheffield United looks a class player aswel

4. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Freeman has one cap for Wales in a friendly last year.

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Luke Freeman? Are you sure? Google isn't showing anything about that - only his youth caps for England.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He’s thinking of Kieron Freeman.

It’s great too see a few of the ex-England youth players finally getting up to the PL. The likes of O’Connell, Lundstram, Luke Freeman etc.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Also Sheffield United played only British (and Irish) players yesterday, I don't remember anything like this in the last few years in the PL.

TopBanana10 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Burnley have been doing this for years. Only really last season they started playing a couple of foreigners. Great to see from clubs anyway.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Burnley had Defour and Gudmundsson in their first PL season though, but yes, Dyche likes buying British too.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I thought this was about england not the uk

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    O'Riley's frustration at Fulham continues.

[​IMG]

ADM99 repped this.
  12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As JRSG has mentioned. All of K.Edwards, Diangana and Willock at one club is bizarre stuff from WBA. Considering Tulloch is like 7th/8th choice wide player now.

[​IMG]

13. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Was just about to post this. Criminal that someone with his ability can't even get a start at PL2 Div 2 level.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think I’m going to try and keep a note of this every week for the season if I can remember ( If I forget please feel free to complete below ) as will be interesting to see how far it goes up and down throughout. After the opening weekend started quite good with 83/220 English starters, we see a bit of a decrease in matchday 2 with 74/220 English starters. Let’s hope the trend goes back up and not continue to decrease

Matchday 1 - 83/220 = 37.7%
    Matchday 2 - 74/220 = 33.6%

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Still time to get that loan/move to Europe.

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rashford looking the part again. Need him and kane up front. When does gareth name his squad?

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Rashford has been impressive tonight. He's been much better than Daniel James though, who looks quite a distance from the level that's going to be required at United going forward. I doubt he'll be ahead of Greenwood in the pecking order much long based on this showing.

Sam1010, TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree about james. He just runs in a straight line. No real ability. Not united quality. Rashford though has been uniteds best player. Hopefully greenwood gets a chance this season

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I know it’s only two games into the season but I’m willing to guess that Gibbs-White is going to be a Cup and Europa League player this season on the whole with a few sub appearances in the Prem. Not ideal but not to worry as yet, if he takes the same path next season then it’s more of a worry.

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Rumour has it that Khan is freezing O’Riley out because of his refusal to sign a new contract/ change agent.

21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    thebigman repped this.
  22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't think you should read too much into rumours like that, but we're all in agreement that he needs to leave Fulham.

Nothing to do with being dropped to the bench for the U23s, but Parker signed Arter, Reed + Onomah to go with Johansen, Cairney, McDonald, the boys out on loan and players like Bobby Reid who also play centrally but further forward. That's a signal enough.

Also shows how naive people are when they suggest that Harvey Elliott would've definitely been better off at Fulham. Everyone blocks the kids, at least the big clubs give them good loans and sell them on quicker.

Like Grant says, Tulloch is in a precarious situation at WBA and Harper signed that new deal and isn't guaranteed anything either.

Sam1010 repped this.
  23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Yeah, I can’t even pretend to have a good source for the rumour tbh. I still struggle to see what Fulham’s thinking might be though.. Why not just sell him last month?

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think there should be some kind of rule change introduced or something as it surely isn’t a good thing that Clubs can potentially play Football God and just try and destroy a young footballers career just because they don’t want to sign a new contract for whatever reason they feel they don’t want to sign. It’s not a great scenario for O’Reily to be in and could damage his football career. I have no real idea how a solution could be met but maybe players up to a certain age can only sign a two year contract or something. Not just for O’Reily but these kind of situations that pop up quite often just doesn’t seem morally right for players so young in their development to be made to rot.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  25. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Make first pro deals max two years, not three. Players suddenly have MUCH more power.

JRSG repped this.