The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Poveda, Harwood-Bellis and Knight getting minutes for Man City.

2. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I would be wary about drawing any conclusions from pre-season minutes. Every year people get excited about young players getting a chance in pre-season and every year they're disappointed when nothing comes of it when the season starts.

The one exception to that is likely to be Greenwood given United's dirge of striking options.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    1152598953550123010 is not a valid tweet id

Sam1010 repped this.
  4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Lets hope he doesnt have a welsh, irish or african parent. You know those scavengers are like

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #1280 AJ123, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    This was him hitting bar, so reminiscent of RVP

Read on a United forum that his dad is like Beckham's dad and instilled a tremendous work ethic in him from a young age and pushed him to improve relentlessly. Such parenting is controversial but worked for the likes of Beckham and the Williams sisters.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

So, if this is to be believed then nothing will change after Brexit. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not to be honest as I know the pros and cons but if it means in 5 years time we still have a reduced number of English players if the trend continues then it can’t be a good thing.

7. If these guys consult the lunatics that made the Brexit mess as it is now, they're in for a shock. For the top six not much will change as these sign the top national team players from the Euro countries. However they're not going to be able to sign young talents on the rise anymore like Hoever at Liverpool. They just donot qualify for the national team quota, as they in 99 out of 100 donot see the national team at all. Also for the other epl clubs the rule of a certain number of national team matches will gonna bite.

Brexit is causing major staffing headaches in the City, which delivers the UK each day in income what the epl does in a year and these daydreamers think the epl's contribution to the economy is going to sway the gouvernement. Don't these guys have a proper calculator?

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, from my understanding our Clubs won’t be able to sign foreign players from outside the UK under the age of 18 and there’s nothing the Premier League can do about that unless I’ve misunderstood but I’ve heard this from various sources now, so in my opinion that should be celebrated all round. I just don’t see the need for our teams to constantly poach kids from Holland for example when we hardly have a decent pathway for our own kids to develop. They are better off staying where they are to be honest unless money is there main driver at a young age.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, the Remainers in parliament have contrived a situation in which Brexit is highly unlikely to ever happen, so I wouldn't worry too much. The entire negotiation has been a sham. We agreed to a two stage set of negotiations under which we agree to the EU's demands in stage one, and then they have a look at what we want in stage two - with no recourse to renegotiate stage one after it's agreed upon. Oh, and then after that parliament voted against No Deal Brexit, signalling to the EU that we will definitely accept a deal, not matter how horrible it is, not least because May refused to signal that we might walk away nor were any plans made for that eventuality... and then what do you know, we (woopsie) find ourselves in a situation where Brexit is ten times less appealing than it might have been. Leaving the deal-making to people who want to stay in the EU was a betrayal waiting to happen.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Leaving the eu was a stupid decision in the first place but the mess created since the vote looks like it will never be resolved

If we can’t sign young European kids then our academies might improve some theta in terms of development of English and British players

11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    True, but the likes of Nketiah and Brewster having strong pre-seasons too, hopefully they can get more minutes in the Prem next season. Also there are the less fashionable teams like Brighton where Alzate's been playing his part, and don't forget Chelsea this year, Mount or James could easily get in the picture after pre-season too.

12. Yeah. I'm not keen seeing Hoever getting minutes in Liverpool instead of at Feyenoord, PSV, AZ or Ajax. That's an opportunity in my opinion to be given to English talents.

It's not just the age, but with the dumping of free movement from the EU those kids have to fulfill the same requirements as any other player from Africa etc. being a national team player with a minimum % of matches. Well, good luck finding those in the EU. The only one that fitted that description in the last twenty years was de Ligt.

roverman repped this.
  13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    If we ever do ‘gerrr on wi it’ and leave the UK will redefine its immigration laws so it’s pure guesswork to say that the current laws for non EU nationals will be applied to EU nationals.

14. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    Oliver Skipp with an excellent performance for Spurs against Juventus playing on the right of a 4312/diamond. Pressed aggressively winning the ball high up the pitch numerous times and moved the ball well under pressure. He and Winks combine really well, nothing overly flashy but they just pop the ball around quickly and accurately. Once he matures a bit more physically there's no reason he shouldn't go on to become an important player for Spurs and hopefully England as well.

Sam1010, hussar, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
  17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1292 Garibaldi11, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Loans and transfers of young English players about to heat up.

Luke McCormick joined Shrewsbury on loan last week.

Dujon Sterling set to join QPR on loan tomorrow.

Jake Clarke-Salter linked with Swansea. Supposedly watched Bristol Rovers v Birmingham over the weekend.

Norwich want to sign Kasey Palmer on a permanent. Swansea on loan too.

Trevoh Chalobah linked with WBA and Fulham.

Charlton seen as favourites for Conor Gallagher on loan.

At Chelsea that leaves Izzy Brown, Jacob Maddox, Ike Ugbo to go on loan. Obviously hoping Tomori, James, Mount, Abraham stay. Guehi, Lamptey, McEachran & Charlie Brown probably stay at Chelsea.

Reece Oxford's Augsburg move died due to personal terms but then picked up again but before that linked with Fulham, Swansea and WBA.

Josh Onomah was linked to a German move by The Sun but supposedly Fulham want him.

Middlesbrough want Grady Diangana on loan from West Ham.

Liverpool - still waiting on Ejaria (Reading), Kent (Rangers, Leeds), Kane (Millwall, Brentford, Hull)

Everton. After Kenny (Schalke), Dowell (Derby), Bowler (Hull) it looks like Connolly, Williams & Baningime still left. Gibson and Adeniran will probably stay.

Marcho Gamgee, hussar and TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Man city kid audrrebeyo whatever hes called is going to blackburn

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1153652102775709697 is not a valid tweet id

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Mount and Abraham played well. Could Mount overtake Barkley perhaps? It's hard to see them both starting.

21. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm convinced Mason will start a lot, Frank trusts him inherently, and he sets the tone for the pressing game in a way I don't think other players will. It's also a bit of a message that the pathway is absolutely open for others to follow (especially while RLC and CHO are out).

David Hurford, hussar and TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #1297 TopBanana10, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Barkley has been playing reasonably well for Chelsea and England but I just feel like Mount offers more. Mount brings a spark of energy and improvisation.

As a Chelsea fan, could you see Mount and Barkley playing together?

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The right decision for me. Was sort of hoping Baker/Palmer at Chelsea would be the same.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I haven’t seen any of the games but Patrick Roberts has been getting rave reviews for Norwich in pre-season.

ChristianSur repped this.