The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #902 Marcho Gamgee, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Yeah, it’s getting quite sad now. I’m gonna bet CHO will be off in the Summer anyway. Maybe RLC really needs to think about his future to as he’s 23 now and this isn’t an ideal situation for him.

Actually just read on twitter that in Sarri’s last news conference, he said CHO won’t be a regular until he’s 22?!? Did he really say that? Wow if he did and if I was CHO, I would definitely be off.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Emery at Arsenal has been something of a disappointment too, continually entirely non English starting 11's and outside of the Europa league group stage has barely touched the academy.

Seems very little opportunity for the youth players now - despite keeping Nketiah from going out on loan he's not managed a single minute of football since the 5th January.

Hopefully he and Sarri get the sack at the end of the season.

roverman and hussar repped this.
  4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Nketiah's position is one of the biggest arguments against the effectiveness of home grown slots. The club needs to keep him around to pad out the squad but the manager clearly doesn't trust him to play so he sits in limbo.

Though personally I see this as more of a problem with the club's approach to squad building than an inherent flaw in the home grown slots system.

ChristianSur repped this.
  5. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    CHO continues to do all he can do.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

Jenks repped this.
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I've said this before, but as long as the homegrown rules are focussed solely on squad places and not starting spots, they'll continue to have unintended consequences that go against their entire purpose.

IGSpur, Jenks, Garibaldi11 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    RLC has well documented back problems. It's a problem he's had for years. He'd probably be a starter now without them. He's had a brilliant season & has clearly improved as an all around player under Sarri. I love watching him play.

CHO's case on the other hand is weird. Sarri isn't an idiot, he knows he's good enough yet he's being overly cautious with him. I think he's right that you don't want to put too much pressure on kids at an early age but he has to realise there are certain exceptions. The way he's speaking he'd probably keep a generational talent like Mbappe on the bench.

roverman repped this.
  9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Certainly something that should be looked at because not only will it be limited to actual starters but then you will need competition for those starters who are good enough or talented enough to start. So it opens up the issue two-fold.

10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Good news: Chelsea have been denied a freeze of the transfer ban while appealing.

11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Similarly to the homegrown rules and their downsides, i'm not sure a Chelsea transfer ban is necessarily good news.

Even though they'll appeal and likely get a freeze for at least the summer.

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Odoi needs to leave soon. He's wasted behind average players like Willian and pedro

13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he just has an old fashioned Italian mentality, and doesn't think players should be trusted to start until they're in their early 20's.

"I am convinced he is a great player. "But in my opinion, a player at 18 he cannot be at the top," Sarri said.

"He will only arrive at the top at 22 or 23 years old, like very other player. I think to have pressure when you are 18 is very dangerous for the player. You can lose the target.

14. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just in case anyone had any doubts:

TopBanana10 repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Actually U17’s will be realeased next week

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jenks repped this.
  18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Goal.com have done a most talented teenagers list, positionings of interest:

1. Sancho
    3. Hudson-Odoi
    4. Foden
    10. Gibbs-White
    11. R. Sess
    (14. Ampadu)
    16. M. Greenwood
    31. Brewster
    32. Smith-Rowe
    http://www.goal.com/story/nxgn2019en/index.html

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    England seniors player 2, won 2
    England U21’s played 2, draw 1, lost 1
    England U20’s, played 2 lost 2
    England U19’s, played 3, won 1, draw 1, lost 1
    England U18’s played 3, won 2, lost 1
    England U17’s played 3 won 2, draw 1.

So across the board that’s:

Played 15
    Won 7
    Drawn 3
    Lost 5

I’ve just done this off the top of my head so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Not looked into the most recent International windows but I’m willing to guess that’s the poorest set of results for some time? I really hope the FA and new technical Director Les Reed, don’t just sweep everything under the table because of past results and actually be proactive in looking at the fundamental problems with our Mangers/players on the tactical side of the game and in some cases odd or unbalanced Squad selections and if changes are needed ( which most of us on these threads think there is room for changes ), they need to act on it.

hussar repped this.
  20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The only one that surprised me was the U19 display. If we are honest we knew the U20’s was going to be a worry after Simpson’s recent U19 finals display. It’s just a continuation of a cycle of poor coaching/management with the U20’s and U21’s.

I want to know when these coaches contracts run out. Nobody ever gets fired from their job. Just demoted to another age role. Contracts running out at the end of the season is probably the best hope of change.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Talented but too expensive – what world’s scouts think of England’s teenagers

Talent-spotters are in awe of young stars but they are too costly for many European clubs, writes Alyson Rudd

new
    Alyson Rudd
    March 27 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

[​IMG]
    Poveda, Gibbs-White and Gallagher all impressed the watching scouts while playing for England Under-19
    Save
    As Morgan Gibbs-White, the Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder, calmly delivered a no-look reverse-pass down the line, a clutch of scouts issued a collective sigh of resignation. This was all too classy, too expensive. It was like sitting next to a group of men who thought that they would visit the jumble sale, only to find themselves facing a designer catwalk.

When England Under-19 faced the Czech Republic last Wednesday at St George’s Park, Pitch 4 was a sun-trap and the European scouts shed their coats and then their jumpers as they scribbled on notepads, their cheeks reddening from the unseasonable heat and the knowledge that the clubs they represent would be unable to afford any of the teenage talent on show.

[​IMG]
    Derksen described Poveda, pictured with the ball as scouts watch on, as the best player on the pitch against the Czech RepublicTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER BRADLEY ORMESHER
    A scout from Lille had a copious bundle of notes but jabbed at his teamsheet. “I like No 7, No 5 and No 4,” he said. In other words, he liked Ian Poveda, the Manchester City striker, Marc Guehi, the Chelsea defender, and Conor Gallagher, a midfielder on the verge of breaking into the first team at Stamford Bridge.

“I write something,” he said, indicating his lengthy notes. “I’m not the decision-maker. If I had the money I would take No 7, No 5 and No 4. Very good players.

“England players are very good, better than the Czechs. It’s difficult to take English players to France. They won’t come because of the money. It’s too expensive for us.”

It was a familiar refrain among those present with one exception. The scout from Bayern Munich has the backing of big money. The German club have already bid £35 million for Callum Hudson-Odoi, the Chelsea winger who made a stunning full debut for Gareth Southgate’s team on Monday evening. The west London club held on to the 18-year-old after turning down his January transfer request and are desperate to keep him this summer.

Back in September, Hudson-Odoi was busy scoring for England Under-19 against Belgium. For the team’s European Under-19 Championship elite-round match last week against the Czechs, Hudson-Odoi was present — but as a spectator, sitting with Ross Barkley, his Chelsea team-mate, and Dele Alli of Tottenham Hotspur. The Bayern scout was not there to make notes on how vocal a supporter the winger they would like to sign can be but rather to work out if he is an outlier or if England is brimming with similar talent.

The answer would appear to be that England is awash with coveted players. Scouts are a secretive bunch but it was hard for Ludek Miklosko, the former West Ham United goalkeeper, now a scout for various Czech clubs, to remain anonymous and he explained why there was such fascination with Hudson-Odoi and his former team-mates.

[​IMG]
    Southgate was there to watch the game — along with Hudson-Odoi, Barkley and AlliTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER BRADLEY ORMESHER
    “The scouts are trying to find players for first teams and these are the best talents in Europe and I think everyone tries to get them,” he said. “The English FA has fantastic structure in its coaching now. They are teaching the players to play football, it is no longer the long ball. It has changed the game completely. All the England under-19s impressed me. They are all comfortable on the ball. Today they have been a much, much better team than the Czechs. They would all fit into other leagues in Europe.”

About ten minutes before the final whistle Miklosko and several other scouts left to travel to Loughborough to catch their next match; Greece Under-19 v Denmark Under-19. It can be a relentless slog for those charged with assessing young talent.

It is rarely a romantic role. Gone are the days when a scout could turn up to a youth game and spot an exciting winger or a composed defender that no one else had noticed. The scouts at St George’s Park had already seen all the players on display via video analysis or at previous club matches. They had already read up on them through the data on SoccerLAB, which collates information on all players, building a detailed analysis.

It was Dirk Jan Derksen’s first visit to England and he was blown away by the superiority of England’s youth. So impressive were they that the Czech player whom he had come to watch was almost paralysed by the experience. Derksen, a Dutch former striker and coach, travels about 3,000 miles a month on behalf of Groningen, an Eredivisie club who are paternalistic, invest in youth and know that they have to be crafty in the market given that they cannot compete financially with the bigger clubs.

[​IMG]
    Steven Sessegnon, the Fulham left back and brother of Ryan, shows off the athleticism that is a hallmark of England Under-19TIMES PHOTOGRAPHER BRADLEY ORMESHER
    “For Groningen, we are eighth in the league and our ambition is regular Europa League football,” Derksen says. “You need money for that of course and we have to be clever in how we scout and draw good players to the club.

“We look at youth teams through the year from several countries. I was at St George’s Park to watch David Snajdr [a Czech Republic defender], who I had seen in Prague in the under-19 league. I needed to know if he was as good at a higher level, but he was up against Ian Poveda and he had no chance.

“It does not mean he is a bad player. Poveda was so good, the best player on the pitch, so Snajdr did not play his normal game. He was so quick, Poveda, that Snajdr could not control his own game. I will see him again. And it is important to compare him with the left winger we already have.

“The England Under-19 team are so mature, they are men already, physically very good, dynamic, technically good and they earn a lot already. Their athletic skills and power are impressive. But maybe in two or three years’ time not all of those English players will make it to the top and we can look at them again.”

Like many of the other scouts, Derksen had to dash to Loughborough but it was almost a wasted journey for all of them.

[​IMG]
    Danny Loader, the Reading forward, right, celebrates with Tariq Lamptey, the Chelsea defender, after scoringTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER BRADLEY ORMESHER
    “England were at such a high level against the Czechs that the Greece versus Denmark game I watched immediately afterwards was poor by comparison,” Derksen says. “It was slow-motion football. There was no bad player for England.”

There was also little point in those scouting for Czech clubs to bother mentioning the English talent. “If you’re playing for England Under-19, then it’s probably too much of a step down to go to a club in Czech Republic,” one of them said.

The scouts present for English teams were nervous about revealing the nationality of their club let alone naming them. There was a chap representing Brighton & Hove Albion who would not name the players he was monitoring but that his eyes were twinkling indicated that he was tracking at least one English teenager.

Southgate watched the under-19s’ 4-1 victory over the Czechs and could afford to feel smug. He has been able to see Hudson-Odoi elevated at pace through the England youth teams in part because they all perform to a similar style and at last place the emphasis on technical ability.

Young players at Premier League clubs traditionally go on loan or sign for lower-division sides to gain first-team football, but one scout said that this was no longer good enough and explained why technically adept youngsters such as Jadon Sancho, who left Manchester City for Borussia Dortmund in 2017, need to consider moves abroad.

“Recently there have been success stories abroad for teenagers,” he says, “and Premier League teams are questioning whether they should put in their first-team players who have only played youth football. The lower levels in England, League One and League Two, are almost a different sport, where it is very physical, but the Premier League is a very technical game.”

Young stars on show against the Czechs
    Goalkeeper
    Josef Bursik, age 18

Telford United, on loan from Stoke City
    England appearances (U17, U18, U19): 21
    Senior club appearances: 0

Defence
    Max Aarons, 19

Norwich City

Right back
    England appearances (U19): 7
    Club appearances: 35

Jonathan Panzo, 18
    Monaco
    Centre back
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 41
    Club appearances: 1
    Born in Brockley, joined Chelsea at the age of nine before moving to Monaco last summer. Part of U17 team that won World Cup in 2017. Also eligible for Ivory Coast

Marc Guehi, 18
    Chelsea

Centre back
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 38
    Club appearances: 0
    Also eligible for Ivory Coast

Steven Sessegnon, 18
    Fulham
    Left back
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 22
    Club appearances: 6

Midfield
    Conor Gallagher, 19
    Chelsea
    Central midfielder
    England appearances (U17, U18, U19): 19

Morgan Gibbs-White, 19
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Midfielder
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 28
    Club appearances: 53
    Been at Wolves since he was eight and made first-team debut at 16. Scored in U17 World Cup final win against Spain in 2017. Has starred against Tottenham and Chelsea in the Premier League this season.

Attacking midfield
    Ian Poveda, 19
    Manchester City
    Right winger
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 26
    Joined City from Brentford for undisclosed fee in July 2016, having had spells at academies of Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona by the time he was 15. Also eligible for Colombia

Angel Gomes, 18
    Manchester United
    Attacking midfielder
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 27
    Club appearances 3
    Godson of former United winger Nani, the youngest player to score a hat-trick for United’s academy (having started the game as a sub). Made Premier League debut aged 16 years and 263 days in May 2017. Also eligible for Angola

Bukayo Saka, 17
    Arsenal
    Left winger
    Club appearances: 4
    Also eligible for Nigeria

Forward
    Danny Loader, 18
    Reading

Forward
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 42
    Club appearances: 18

Substitutes used
    Tariq Lamptey, 18
    Chelsea

Right back
    England appearances (U18, U19): 12

Rekeem Harper, 19
    West Bromwich Albion

Central midfielder
    England appearances (U17, U19): 7
    Club appearances 4
    Also eligible for Ghana

George McEachran, 18
    Chelsea
    Attacking midfielder
    England appearances (U16, U17, U18, U19): 38

Felix Nmecha, 18
    Man City

Attacking midfielder
    England appearances (U16, U18, U19): 9
    Also eligible for Nigeria and Germany

Arvin Appiah, 18
    Nottingham Forest
    Right winger
    Club appearances: 2
    Also eligible for Ghana

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There’s some quite glowing testaments there especially the game against the Czech Republic where is quite clearly stated how much better England were and that scouts going to the next game couldn’t even come close to the talents on show for England which makes it even more baffling how they managed to stuff up the group when they were so much better, talent wise and the team that won was so much inferior.

23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I liked that article earlier, I just wanted to tell them that they've listed other nation eligibility but not been comprehensive :D Max Aarons is likely eligible for Jamaica as he's Rolando Aarons' cousin, Sessegnon is also able to play for the Ivory Coast, Loader can play for Cameroon, McEachran for Scotland, Appiah for Holland. Just seemed like a dick move to reply with that.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    A few days ago you mentioned that Conor Gallagher was flying under the radar a little among fans. He's also mentioned in this article. Hope we get to see a bit more of him in the near future.

Do you envisage any first team opportunities anytime soon?

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m not really sure why many articles like this have to state who else there eligible for to be honest but they always do. Sometimes I think it’s like calling card to those other Nations to come and get them or something, just in case they needed reminding.

Slater582 repped this.