The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Went after Wagner before Claude was appointed.

I think what he did at Huddersfield was more of a needs must. Short on money etc, of course he is going to go down that route.

Whoever gets the job, will probably have to continue down the same path that Puel was going.

If I was the new manager, the first thing I would do is let Vardy, Schmeichel and Morgan leave.

Try and pick up Abraham from Chelsea to replace Vardy.

2. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the outside looking in, I'm surprised to hear you'd want rid of Vardy and Schmiechel. How come?

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They are too influential in the dressing room - Not necessarily in a positive way.

Plus 15/16 hangs over the club. Time to move on from that.

thebigman and dbs235 repped this.
  4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I could see someone like Demarai Gray really benefiting from someone like Rodgers who will hopefully get the best out of him. I know I’m pretty much alone here on this as some think he’s nothing more than another Redmond but I think there’s more potential with him and more to come imo.

6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He's a decent player and a likeable character but I'd say that he's in a similar situation to Lookman, Nelson and Barnes.

Those players are having to compete with Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Hudson Odoi. No easy task.

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Very good news. I was gutted about Puel as I know for a fact that he loved british players, said it several times in french interviews. Rodger's appointment softens the blow, in spite of his annoying character.

8. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said that youngsters Angel Gomes, Tahith Chong and Jimmy Garner will all be involved at Selhurst Park on Wednesday night.

"They have been part of our training for a long time," he said. "Angel has been with England Under-17s with Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

"Garner is a Michael Carrick but 20 years younger, Chongy will be taking people on. They are ready.

No Greenwood then, but pleased to see Garner and Gomes there.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Im pretty sure I heard Greenwood is injured otherwise I bet he would have been in in this group also.

David Hurford repped this.
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Greenwood should be back soon though (if he’s not in training already.)

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah he’s probably a step down talentwise compared to those players but that’s not to be sniffed at considering the ceiling those guys have, mind you I think Rashford as more of a striker/centre forward these days. I still like him however as a player and the better he can become, the better for our talent pool. You know how it goes with England and injuries so the more quality the better for cover.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Demeaco Duhaney making his debut for Huddersfield tonight.

However, still disappointing that Lookman still can’t get a start for Everton despite players playing ahead of him that have been underwhelming.

13. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I wonder if he'll pop up at another English club, it would probably be a Championship one if he did though.

And I also wonder if Rodgers' appointment will reignite those Patrick Roberts to Leicester rumours that briefly surfaced last summer

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Currently watching the Leicester game and have to say not been that impressed with Maddison tonight so far if I’m honest. He’s nowhere near ready for the senior Squad imo, he’s been just to ponderous on the ball and quite sloppy. Hopefully after I’ve written this, he ups his game. Harvey Barnes again impressive though.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Maddison started the season well but has been underwhelming for a while now. I’ve noticed he struggles to dribble players in the Premier League like he could in The Championship.

Hopefully Rodgers can put a rocket up his backside.

16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Maddison has gone off the boil a bit and there are big weaknesses in his game.

Having said that, his biggest strength is one of our biggest weaknesses; creating chances for forwards. He is the second highest chance creator after Hazard. Nice assist today as well.

wellno repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Gomes, Greenwood and Garner all travelled with the first team squad. Garner the only one to make the bench though.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    A bit disappointing all round tbh. Ok, I wasn’t expecting Foden to start as Pep just doesn’t seem to trust him to start in the Premier League yet although I would give him a start especially after Sunday’s 120 min tire game but I really thought CHO and RLC claimed a spot after doing pretty well when they came on but no, Sarri sticks with Pedro and Kovacic and expect Barkley sub 70 mins fwiw.

19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Jimmy Garner made his debut tonight. Only 5 mins at the end but a great moment for him.

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Did he slot in well? Or too little time to gauge?

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    No time to make any impression, only touched the ball once or twice. United were seeing the game out by then, hitting it down the line shielding the ball etc.

Apparently Ole calls him 'young Carrick' and when he was getting ready to go on Carrick was in picture with a massive cheesy grin on his face like a proud father. So its fair to say he's highly thought of by the right people.

hussar repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He's such an intelligent player. His ability to change the tempo and pick the right pass is unreal. So easy on the eye.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I think in the summer everyone agreed that central midfield is the most important area where England should improve - since then a number of youngsters debuted in the Premier League: Skipp, Longstaff, Garner, also Choudhury played a number of games. Add the form of Winks to this, and some Championship prospects like Harper. Oh yes and there is Rice. So things are getting better.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    What I like about the players you listed is that they are all stylistically quite different, which gives options; particularly if Gomes also kicks on.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just some random info! The next England Squad is announced Wednesday 16th March so all the other junior Squads most likely a day later if they are still following the same procedures.