The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    If Foden doesn't get on at Half time of their game against Southampton, not sure when Pep is ever gonna play him.

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He'll probably being Danilo on and play him as a false 9 instead.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Gets 20 minutes.....

4. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    tbh I think Pep manages him pretty well so far. He will play the cup games and 20 mn in the PL, which isn't bad at 18 in a club like City. The issue will be to replace one of the Silva, I don't think it's beyond his ability at all in the long term but can he do it at 19/20 years old ? If not he will have to leave.
    My only issue at the moment is this LCM position, he'd be better at RCM where he can come inside and use his drop of the shoulder. It will make him a better player though.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Yep. Agree with that, however when you are 4-1 up at HT then it's a good time to give him 45 minutes.

6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I can see both your points. His development at City is being managed well, but he surely could have come on a bit earlier. Unless, he’s starting mid week.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think we’re nit picking a bit here, sure maybe he could have come on earlier but at least he’s coming on and now getting regular run outs and not looking out of place at all. Like Sharpie says, I’m actually quite fine with the way he’s been handled at the moment, gradually getting more and more minutes and coming on ahead of seasoned Internationals. I actually think he’s already either close or overtaken the playing minutes he achieved from last season and we have only just started November, so I think it’s pretty good progress. I always have on the back of my mind Michael Owen and Rooney and the way they were thrown in from an early age playing all those games and then as a consequence burned out at a relatively young age.

8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I’m not worried about Foden, Sancho or Smith Rowe. Nelson is also doing well. Hudson Odoi’s situation needs keeping an eye on, although Sarri is a shrewd manager and is aware of his talent. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens to Mount next season.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Mount will be back on loan again next season tbh, I just can’t see Chelsea playing him much if any next season on the back of a loan in the Championship. I think Chelsea will want him playing in either the Premier League or say the Bundesliga next season to make the transition to play in the Chelsea first team somewhat smoother. Just my opinion and hopefully I’m wrong and he’s given a chance next season but I’m doubtful. I have no idea about CHO though, guess it depends on his contract situation but if I was him, I’d think carefully about what best suits his progress and pathway to first team football.

10. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    KWP had a bit of a tough time against Antonio the other night, though that's somewhat to be expected given how little he plays. Antonio is also a monster physically so probably the toughest kind of opponent for him to deal with, on the plus side he got to grips better with him 2nd half and didn't allow him to get a run on him as much. Unfortunately he did lose the flight of the ball for the goal West Ham scored so it wasn't the greatest of games for him, not that it seems to matter much as when he has played well on his previous rare starts it hasn't exactly led to anything.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, just the three English starters tonight between Huddersfield and Fulham. I’m actually quite surprised as I thought there would be less so big congratulations to those teams :cool:

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    At a rough count that's 66 players eligible for England starting in PL fixtures this weekend. That's quite terrible.

The Potter repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It’s depressing considering the amount of quality kids we have coming through. I just hope over the next 5 years or so there will be a shift by Clubs as surely the talent can only be ignored for so long. I’m not a Brexiter but surely ( even though we still don’t know the consequences yet ) that’s going to help in the future to increase the chances for English players.

14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It’s a weird paradox. As the quality increases the number of opportunities decrease.

On the positive side, more English players than ever seem to be playing abroad.

The Potter repped this.
  15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Understatement of the century. I don't think we should get too excited about what may or may not happen.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Indeed, it feels like everything is still up in the air. The only sort of positive ( depending on your perspective) that I’ve seen and seems to have some credibility is that foreign players under 18 years of age won’t be able to move to Britain, should at least increase the home ground talent and hopefully stop the rule that foreign players can become ‘home grown’ ie: Cesc Fabragas.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Foden doesn't make the squad tonight with Gundogan back. Very disappointing

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up but Moses hasn’t travelled for this game. CHO should at least get some game time.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I mean... Moses has hardly played, even off the bench. I'm not sure that his absence is going to make an enormous difference.

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Well, yeah... Moses shouldn’t be competition for CHO but it’s one less person in the way.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    My point isn't that Moses shouldn't be an obstacle to CHO getting minutes. It's that Moses isn't much of an obstacle. The guys who CHO needs to get past are the ones who are actually playing.

22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Moses has come on twice in the Europa League this season though.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Brought on in the 85th minute...