The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Part of this is true, but that's not new, it's been happening since years. Moreover I think this pre-season is a bit better: a lot of young players get their chances, and a lot of them clearly good enough to play some part, not just filling up the numbers like young players in pre-season usually do. Of course just a very few of them will play in the Premier League this autumn, but Hudson-Odoi, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Curtis Jones, Bolton and some others didn't do any harm for their reputations.

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Well if and when Brexit happens, the government should be in a position to step in and mandate England-eligible (not home grown) quotas if need be.

Marcho Gamgee and David Hurford repped this.
  3. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
  4. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    phil foden and luke bolton played for city last night and both played really well. foden in particular was really good. bolton- hes so fast and powerful running down the wing. i think bolton could be a surprise players to break out.

hussar repped this.
  5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Usain Bolton.

6. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Jenks repped this.
  7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The way Mourinho seems to be carrying on where he left off lost season losing the plot you got to think his job is danger this season if things don't go well.

It will be great news for so many young players and not just Gomes.

For those that have watched the United games how have the young lads been when played ?

8. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Adarabioyo (who is behind 2nd year Garcia & younger returning from injury Humphreys) and Roberts will hopefully be getting out of City.

Just hope Roberts find his mojo quickly with his new club. Actually wouldn't mind a Fulham , Palace or Southampton.

hussar repped this.
  9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    The next few weeks are going to be mental for loans. They're allowed after the deadline until September 1st so all the football league sides will be filling out their teams with guys desperate for game time.

Tosin
    Nmecha
    Roberts
    Duhaney
    Diallo
    Humphreys
    Demetri Mitchell
    Tomori
    Loftus-Cheek (potentially)
    Tammy (potentially)
    Izzy Brown
    Ojo
    Armstrong
    Onomah
    Marcus Edwards
    Dasilva
    Dasilva (Arsenal, permanent)
    Willock
    Connolly
    Dowell
    Lookman
    Woodman
    Tuanzebe
    Galloway
    Tayo Edun
    Mahoney
    Oxford
    Ugbo
    Mavididi
    Barker
    Joe Williams

I mean, there's just so many guys who are realistically going to move and even more after them who will be more surprising or under the radar moves.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hopefully quite a few of those listed above could end up moving abroad. Could see Lookman end up abroad before the transfer window closing and hopefully players like Roberts, Dowell, Oxford, Dasilva could potentially follow suit.

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Definitely. Hope Everton sack off some of their other excess before their young players though. Have you seen how Kevin Campbell has been singing Joe Williams praises non-stop saying Everton just don't have a midfielder like him. Then read from one of the local Everton reporters that Silva liked what he saw from Williams before he got injured.

He probably will go on loan but still think he is one to really watch after seeing him a few times for Barnsley last season.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Lookman already put planes up on his instagram like he is boarding a flight and removed that he is an Everton player. He will be a Leipzig player that is for sure. One of the more exciting transfers for English football in my opinion. Not for Everton. They paying the price for Koeman and Allardyce reigns and their squad so bloated it is crazy.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As we talking about Everton. Garbutt finally got his move but it is another loan to Oxford. Plus 24 year-old Pennington who just signed a 3 year deal is going on loan again (looks like Wigan).

I really think Everton have made some weird decisions. After this batch of young players I don't think they have that many that will break through bar Lewis Gibson.

hussar repped this.
  14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    The crazy thing is that I don't know if Lookman will even ever be good enough to make an England tournament squad.

But that's a good thing, cause I have high hopes for other left wing options. Will be nice to have real depth and to have the luxury to not be including guys excelling in top leagues.

I do like watching him play though so hopefully the move does happen. The openness in Germany really suits him.

15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think a lot of their current young players are in a rough situation right now. Guys like Davies reallly need to do something soon or they'll be gone. Kenny probably can only afford one more season as a 2nd choice. Dowell may go on loan again and probably should go somewhere else on a permanent deal.

The Everton fans are really turning on Davies right now. Think they've realised that he's not actuallly that good at anything.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I hope that some of them will go out permanently, like Roberts or Armstrong, don't think another loan is what they need now.

17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was reading Grand Old Team forum and I think every player is getting crucified. :D

The positive is I saw one say Holgate should be first name on the team sheet after Pickford. But Keane, Davies, Dowell were the English boys getting a lot of stick.

Some did say that Davies starts for them though at this stage because of his mobility in midfield.

18. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I also saw that forum and it gave me cancer, so many vitriolic and vicious comments there: not just for the English boys, but almost everyone. I don't think that's a good place now with that many frustrations :D

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sounds like the Spurs boys shone last night.

KWP at right-back was MOM (again)
    Eyoma's first minutes on tour and at centre-back
    Midfield 3 of Marsh, Amos, Skipp

I think if Spurs put effort into a young CB after CCV then it's going to be Eyoma. That would mean Tanganga's chances are limited.

The other interesting aspect is Amos and Skipp grabbing their chances with Onomah and TOB in the back ground.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    This is one of the local Leicester writers.

5 of them are English. Add that onto Chilwell, Gray, Maddison amongst others. Could be interesting.

Darnell Johnson hasn't signed a contract yet. Been doing well pre-season by all accounts.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Sam Hughes was someone who did well last year at the U21s, isn't he better than Knight or Gordon?

22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Actually very harsh. He's good on the ball and could be a solid 8 or 6.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Skipp was a bit lost, he was played on the left and didn't see much of the ball unfortunately. When he did get the ball he looked quality though.

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Gordon is a forward.

People are surprised that Hughes isn't playing but I believe he is lined up to go out on loan this year.

One of Johnson or Knight could at least be on the bench next week.

Maguire is out for the first game and Jonny Evans has a knock - Down to two centre backs.

hussar repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Odoi looked very good vs arsenal

Tore bellerin a new one