The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Sorry.

I like Totti as a player and salute him and his career. He is the last field player of that generation of Italian talent and I am sorry to see that era come to an end..

But.... there is a lot of criticism on here that is valid too.

2. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Didnt Juve and Roma have the same revenue in the 2010-11 season?

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2028 falvo, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    But in that year and successive seasons, Franco and Rosella Sensi imploded the team financially and they couldn't afford a winner. They were fortunate to come in second behind Inter. It's no wonder why Rosella sold the club to Thomas DiBenedetto because they simply couldn't continue as they were. I also have my doubts about this American group. Judging by how James Pallotta has been talking lately, I'm starting to think there will be a new owner in three years time.

4. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I promise... I will not bother to waste my time on the Roma sub-forum on the day Gigi retires.

There will be plenty of graciousness and appreciation all around from Juventini, which is all that matters.

And as for the rest, thanks for the concern but that's more than a little creepy.

IIRC, they did; but I could be wrong.

But if I'm not wrong, let's not let facts get in the way of the narrative. Because then Roma would actually have to hold themselves responsible for their own failures, and that simply cannot happen.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I do think Roberto Baggio is arguably one of the best players of all time. Right after Maradona and Pele.

1. Maradona
    2. Pele
    3. R. Baggio
    4. Van Basten
    5. Zidane
    6. Messi
    7. Christiano Ronaldo
    8. Del Piero
    9. Totti
    10. Kaka
    11. Brazilian Ronaldo
    12. Ronaldinho

Del Piero vs Totti is extremely hard, but I even think ADP might have had the edge as an individual player as well. He scored more career goals, and had loads of injury trouble by the way. If ADP wasn't as injury prone, he would have scored around 400 goals. Maybe for the Azzurri, Totti performed better at times, although ADP did have a great world cup in 2006. I will never forget that 2nd goal he scored against Germany. However I might be a little bias. ADP is my favorite player of all time, and he will always be my favorite in my heart. Speaking of this, this would be the team of my heart with all my favorite players in a team:

-Vieri-
    -Del Piero-Totti-R. Baggio-
    -Pirlo-Gattuso-
    -Maldini-Nesta-Cannavro-Zambrotta-
    -Buffon-
    Subs: Zoff, Materazzi, Ballack, Grosso, Platini, Nedved, Toni.

These are not necessarily the best players, but I am just saying my dream team of my favorite players of all time.

juveeer repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The only fact that I see is that Juventus was and is an all around better club. They've always been richer, and historically better players and mostly importantly their record speaks for itself.

You can twist it or deny it but this isn't coming from me, these are the facts....

Juve

Campionato italiano: 33 +2 that were taken away)

1905; 1925-26; 1930-31; 1931-32; 1932-33; 1933-34; 1934-35; 1949-50; 1951-52; 1957-58 Star*.svg1959-60; 1960-61; 1966-67; 1971-72; 1972-73; 1974-75; 1976-77; 1977-78; 1980-81; 1981-82 Star*.svg Star*.svg1983-84; 1985-86; 1994-95; 1996-97; 1997-98; 2001-02; 2002-03; 2011-12; 2012-13; 2013-14 ,2014-15; 2015-16; 2016-17

Roma

Campionato italiano: 3

1941-42, 1982-83, 2000-01

Midfield General repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2032 falvo, May 29, 2017
    Although Lippi loved him, he went on record to laud Totti over Delpiero. Capello preferred Totti as well. Ironically , both men alienated Roberto Baggio who was the best Italian player at least since 1975 onward. They both also praise him though. Go figure. Too bad Italy can't produce another Baggio.

As far as Materazzi, Grosso,Nesta,Cannavro and Zambrotta, although they did help win the World Cup, I can think of at least of a 1/2 dozen defenders Italy had who were much better than they were.

8. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL

All I did was point out was that a lot of the same people who thought we went overboard celebrating Alex during his last game were now behaving in the same way for Totti. WTF is the big deal?

1) It's true, and 2) I did it in our sub-forum. It's not like I was intentionally trolling their board.

juveeer repped this.
  9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It all starts with attitude. Management wants to win and puts forward a program to win. When it did not, when we had the MBA 5-year project, we were terrible despite star players just past their prime still performing as champions. Too bad the loser management we had in place held them back. That changed when Agnelli took over as president and we went to our philosophy of the past, winning is everything. It started a little early but we have not looked back since. And because of that, we are better set financially and we do get better players. But it is not something exclusive to Juve and if other clubs had that mentality, they would win too. Too many are happy to just stay in Serie A or make the CL. But they sure whine when Juve wins again.

juveeer repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That has been Roma's goal at least since 2002. Make the CL as a second place team and reap the rewards and revenue that comes with it. That and beating Lazio seem to be their main objective.

Having said that, both Roma and Napoli have done well in the Serie A but they still can't really compete or overtake Juve.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2036 Dante, May 29, 2017
    Waaaay too much time being devoted to Totti here, he retired from Roma, not that he was nothing more than a 2 bit player this last season. He was a hometown hero, willing to stick to his mediocre club. Content with winning 1 Scudetto and a couple Coppa Italia trophies. Was he the best Italian player ever? Not even in the top 5. He's gone, he's moved on, we should too.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lmao the dumbest comment of all time.

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ffs players learn and evolve. He made a bad pass choice in that moment thinking he was killing time and you want to nail him for it? When he was MOM in the game. After all these years if you're still thinking about that match you should be focusing the blame on ADL who fluffed his lines.

14. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    del piero's goal in the 03 cl semi > totti's career.
    that was godly!

DNA Gobbo, juveeer and scirea6 repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2040 falvo, May 29, 2017
    Honestly , as far as the Italian national team is concerned despite his 91 caps, other than his goal against Germany, I can't really remember Delpiero doing much for Italy in a Euro or WC finals. I think he did well in the qualifiers but not much to speak of in a tournament. At least nothing that stands out or that I can remember. Nowhere near what Baggio did for Italy.

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #2041 Calcio Pauly, May 29, 2017
    Del Piero, love him or not, missed two sitters too.

It's not earth shattering but he got the tying goal vs Mexico in 2002 that put us into the knock out round, only to get screwed.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2042 falvo, May 29, 2017
    Yeah I vaguely recall that. All I remember about that tournament was Vieri missing an easy tap in , Maldini getting out jumped by Perugia's Ahn and Totti being carded by Moreno the drug dealer ....

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lose points to provisional sides and it costs you the scudetto. Always been, always will.

juveeer repped this.
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They were not sitters and did not give France the chance to tie the match.

DNA Gobbo repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Only Italy to win it, and they were both almost identical to the one he buried in 2006, and goals he scored regularly for you guys. He choked. I have no allegiance to him or Totti. Both did amazing things in their careers and both made errors. In that game DP's lack of finish was just as bad as what Totti did in the end, worse actually, and IIRC Totti set him up for one of them. 2-0 and 3-0 at that stage and nothing Totti did would have mattered. Thems just the straight goods Signore!

Pietro Calcio and Midfield General repped this.
  21. DNA Gobbo

DNA Gobbo Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL!!

Maradona
    Platini
    Baggio
    Zidane
    Ronaldo
    Ibrahimovic
    Del Piero

All greater than Totti. This list is incomplete by the way. Please Romanista...you want to celebrate him go ahead...but keep the delusion to a minimum while you do it.

scirea6 repped this.
  22. DNA Gobbo

DNA Gobbo Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A few years ago he claimed Juve cheated and should play in their own league after they got their asses handed to them. A statement made by a sore loser and a massive "fuk you" and disrespect towards our players. What professional athlete comes out and says nonsense like that? No class whatsoever.

scirea6, gumbacicc and Falc repped this.
  23. DNA Gobbo

DNA Gobbo Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma fans keeping it classy. I could see Totti saying something like this.

scirea6 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2049 falvo, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    This proves my point once again. Roma aren't a great team like Milan , Inter and Juventus are or were historically.

Sadly, no other club other than those top three can or will match what those teams have done for an extended period or even more than one year. Only Maradona's Napoli won a scudetto twice and an UEFA Cup but they are the only club I can think of. I doubt it will change any time soon. Especially for a southern Italian based team and/or Fiorentina.

25. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And even with Totti no longer at Roma, Spalletti is run off.