The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Conte did well at Bari, with us, with the NT and at Chelsea. He is an excellent manager. As much as I hate Inter and want to see that team fail, I would be skeptical about things falling apart at Inter just because of a dispute over a signing. I imagine Conte will get the best out of that team. They just don't have the players to compete with us, especially as it appears Icardi will be moving on.

St. Michael's Sword and scirea6 repped this.
  2. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And Siena.

The only place where he failed was at Atalanta, and by the time he took over they were already a sinking ship. It's unlikely that anybody would have been able to have saved them.

While they may not have the players, but there's a good chance that we won't have a system. We've made sweeping changes by hiring Maurizio Sarri. "Sarriball" (still makes me want to vomit) cannot be implemented in the space of single pre-season and there's no way of knowing, before the season starts, whether or not the players that we do have will even fit it.

And if they don't, do you think Sarri is going to change his tactics to fit the players at his disposal (which, coincidentally, was Allegri's greatest strength)? At no point in his career so far has he demonstrated a willingness to do that. It's his tactics or it is nothing. Just because we have a superior squad of players doesn't mean it can't, or won't, end in catastrophe.

Anybody who believes that titles are guaranteed this season is living in a fool's paradise. Everybody thought Milan was guaranteed to win the Scudetto in 2011, because their squad was, player for player, superior to the rest of Italy. Back then, we didn't have the players either. And look how history played out...

St. Michael's Sword and juveeer repped this.
  3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'll admit. I'm one of these folks. I take your points about the difficulties of adjustment to a new system. But consider this second XI for Juve: Buffon; De Sciglio, Bonucci, Demiral, Pellagrini; Rabiot/Ramsey, Bentacur, Matuidi; Bernardeschi, Higuaín, Mandzukic/Kean...that side would likely compete for a CL spot in Italy. As important as managers are, games are won and lost by the players and when there is the gulf in quality that Juve have in Serie A vis-à-vis their competition, I don't see anyone challenging--especially whereas we haven't seen much spending from our main "rivals" to bridge the gap.

4. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    De Sciglio, Bonucci? C'mon, g. The fact that they weren't first to get the boot is baffling.

I take your point about the rest of the squad. And I have no problem with supporters expecting titles (we're Juventus, we should always expect titles), but nobody should believe that they've already been won.

If merda gets eliminated from Europe early and all they have to concentrate on is the domestic front, then they could be a very serious threat. Conte basically won the first of our eight through squad management, workmanship, and a team spirit of iron will. This is a simplification, but essentially we ran other teams into the ground and just would not be beaten. That was the season we went undefeated.

And Conte has the experience of winning the league. Sarri only has the experience of losing it.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What Conte is missing at Inter are four world champions. One was Pirlo who made the team tick.

6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Conte and inter are gonna fail no matter how good Conte is.

7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He is the Billy Martin of futbol coaches.

He will squeeze every player dry and, after 2-3 years, he has to move on, because no one can keep up the emotional high his style requires to succeed on a consistent basis.

But for those 2-3 years he can be very effective.

8. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    ArtemioD repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Inter could win if there is another calciopoli and Juventus is relegated in another 80 years....

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But Comisso really didn't do much with the Cosmos. He assumed , inherited or bought the name and logo and then the team and the league folded or is on a two, three or four year hiatus. He will have no choice but to tend to the day to day operations of Fiorentina.

Knowing the club and town as I do, he won't be better than either Della Valle or Cecchi-Gori.

phat and juveeer repped this.
  13. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's betting on the upside value potential of the league.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not exactly understanding. You mean he is getting the upside for buying the Cosmos name and logo or Fiorentina?

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no upside to owning Fiorentina

phat repped this.
  16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

There's room to generate value. Both from within the club and from the league.

juveeer repped this.
  17. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATM routs Real! Lol 7-3 what an embarrassment....
    Sure it’s friendly but they looked awful!
    People complain about Juve, but there are many other clubs out there that got some big issues.

Reals defense looked absolutely garbage.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand it’s only a preseason friendly but the younger , inexperienced players anyway should take these games more seriously. Maybe the coaches don’t care about getting players injured?

19. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    None of them played with any intensity, they were all walking around the pitch. Its a serious issue for them regardless of it being pre-season because its the same issue they had last year, motivation. If losing 5-0 at halftime doesn't motivate you to pick up your game, nothing will.

This excuse that its only pre season is bs, you don't lose 7-3 to your rivals, especially while playing pretty much the same team you had last year from the start.

RM defense and midfield are pretty terrible right now and I hope they don't get anyone else so they can fail miserably this season :D

That being said, I'm not too confident about Juventus' situation with Sarri either

20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    If this keeps up, we could have our choice of Pep or Zizou next summer.

21. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ******** Zidane, he has no idea what tactics are. Those 3 CL's were won on motivating the players, something which they have lost and Zidane can't seem to get back. I don't want him anywhere near this team, he's no tactical genius. He's still too green and Madrid are going to regret appointing him back, wait and see

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zidane like DiMatteo, inherited a great team. I don't think these are the guys you want in charge of your club.

juventino13 repped this.
  23. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly, just look at the results in the league from his first year to his last. He relies on the old guard to a fault, look at all the moves made this summer by Madrid most of which were Zidanes choices. He's sent out all their promising youngsters in the midfield and brought in no-one because hes fixated on Pogba. What happens if ManUre don't sell Pogba, a panic buy? Does he even have a plan b for that scenario? Kroos and Modric look past it, age has caught up to them and they can't keep handling an entire season as fixtures in the Madrid lineup, yet they are the first on the team sheet. And Isco, over James who he's shunned (can't believe Juve were after Isco for so long, yikes)

Their defense needs work, they brought in Mendy and Militao yet he sticks with Marcelo and Varane and sent out Reguilon who was pretty good for them last season. The game vs Atletico, albeit a friendly, looked like RM have no plan and are pretty much winging it out there, why? What have they been doing in training?

24. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Zidane is like Luis Felipe Scolari.

25. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    That's really harsh. Wouldn't call Chelsea 2011-12 a great team.....
    [​IMG]