PBP: The Other MLS Teams' Paraphernalia Thread: Now Legal in Two States

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Admiral? Thought they went bust years ago

2. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015...ns-with-galaxy-ii-on-a-game-changing-contract

LA is changing the game; this is where the Crew will fall behind if more teams start doing this.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is stopping the Crew from signing a player and sending him to Austin?

5. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    He's not taking up a roster spot for them, he's close to home, he's close to the first team, they get to keep his training in house. Right now unless our Academy kids are first team right away they're going to some college getting an unknown level of coaching in an unknown style in games that don't follow pretty standard FIFA rules. This is different this is new and if the Crew don't move other teams will have a much more streamlined system from Academy to MLS.

chr1st repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...assuming they are allowed to *keep* those players when they get old enough to play for the first team. You get Joe Smith who comes up through our system for example but becomes a star youth. But before we can put him on our MLS roster, LA decides they want him and offer lots of money or he won't sign with us because LA wants him. Without a formal farm system where you own the rights to players in your system that are not ready for the big team, this is what will happen. I doesn't mean movement is totally controlled--but there must be compensation (and we were talking about this a while back) for the team that does the development.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since that player has signed a Pro contract LA loses the rights to that player, according to the HP rules. The question is then does that player go thru a draft, allocation, lottery or can LA just sign him to a 1st team contract? I think any team could slap a discovery claim on him, the Crew did that with Gehrig and he was trying out with KC when he found out that the Crew wanted him. This can all change with the New CBA.

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just leave this here...

566054259591237634 is not a valid tweet id

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...I kinda laughed but then it just got more and more awkward the longer I looked. #UCrew

11. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Not sure I would call this a game changer..for LA maybe. The scenario is that he is under contract with a USL Pro team (Home turf Stub Hub) and is in close enough proximity to the MLS side (Stub Hub), and has a college close by (adjacent to Stub Hub) for which he does not play, only attends class. ( He would not be able to play for the college, correct?)

To be a game changer, that would mean all other MLS cities would need to have both their affiliates and a college in that same close proximity. If we linked back up with Dayton, it might be doable.

13. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and none other than BRIAN CARROLL is holding the scarf!!!
    This is what happens when someone with no knowledge of MLS is assigned a promotional project.

14. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Why couldn't players go to Ohio State, Columbus State, Capital, Otterbein, or Wesleyan depending on their preference? Every city that has an MLS team has multiple colleges or universities; even if it's not right next door it shouldn't be that difficult to get back and forth to classes. There are a lot of guys that leave early in any sport that finish their degrees it might be a challenge but that's the way it is when you want to play a professional sport.

16. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Philadelphia wants very badly to be Columbus I guess we have the Crew Union supporters group they name their team the Philadelphia Union we are the Columbus Crew they name an official supporters group the U Crew.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there are no colleges in Austin TX? Or is it a matter if they shuttle between the senior team and the farm team.

Really, the way to go is for the Crew to have a USL team locally, so both teams can train together, and they could do something of this sort here in town. Of course, that all costs money, and are there enough first team prospects coming up through the system to make it worth it.

18. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Yeah, I believe there is a fairly big university in Austin...

Flyer Fan and Placid Casual repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They can also party at the moon tower.

ElJefe and Lucky Day repped this.
  21. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    foozer repped this.
  22. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Right, and at this very moment, there is nothing stopping any CCSC player in Columbus Ohio, from attending those colleges for an education. So what is the Game changer? Can CCSC pay for the education of a player on their roster? Might bring in MLS rules or players association issues (ie..availability for all players, not just the gifted ones).

This player is not on the MLS Roster for LA, he is under contract with an USL Pro team correct. That is who is paying for his education. That USL Pro team is owned by the same ownership group as LAX I correct? So they will do what LAX I wants.

The game changer is that this has three things...Under the thumb of the MLS Squad, Game experience with USL, and a college education paid for by, in essence an MLS Team. Not to mention the combinded training with MLS Squad (Do they do that already?)

There is no MLS team in Austin to train with ...Austin would work in this scenario only IF the MSL Team, CCSC for example, held his contract and assigned him to Austin. Not sure if that is possible or what the implications of that would be in relation to roster, cap space..etc. or do you expect a Austin to pay for his college because CCSC thinks its a good idea?

This is the only way really that it would compete with what LA has in total...

23. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Oh, I was just responding to someone else's post. I don't even know what this conversation was about, I'm not reading any of it.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fair amount of them are already doing this (those who do not have a degree. I think that's one of the things that got a former Crew player a chance to kick for the tOSU football team--Devin Barclay. I know Gaven got his degree while playing.

25. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus

This is the point LA is planing on streamlining their system from Academy to MLS. If others disagree with me that this is an advantage fine; I just don't see how improving the professional development from 18-22 years old won't be positive for LA. I'll be surprised if the rest of the teams with their own USL team don't follow suit; not immediately but in time. Having your own people work with the guys that have come out of your academy instead of a college coach that you can't guarantee the quality of is much different. I'm not saying it will ruin us or make them but it is a piece they have that we don't and this is the part we may very well need to be better at going forward.

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015...-further-details-about-the-ryo-fujii-contract