The Other Juve related news discussion thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by 1251alex, Jan 20, 2011.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I mean show some respect--as if he needed to state the obvious that kids die every day. All such situations are tragic; but why downplay the man's death due to other tragic events that happen daily.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Ashamed that we ever signed such a pos.

gumbacicc and scirea6 repped this.
  4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didnt really see anythng wrong with what he said. He didnt know the guy. What was he supposed to do break down in tears ? He gave in my opinion an honest response. If you agree with it or not is up to you. He gave is condolences but the people who are really feeling Astori's loss is his family.

5. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He's a narcissist who wanted to be praised for virtue signaling by valuing an abstraction over an individual.

He didn't have to break down in tears; he didn't even have to say anything at all. Or if he felt compelled, all he had to do was acknowledge Astori's family and nothing more. Talking about "dying children" is cheap moralism masquerading as profundity.

After all, if Dani Alves genuinely cares that much about the millions of starving children who suffer and die everyday, he doesn't need to wait for the death of a colleague to talk about them. If his concern was genuine, he'd be talking about them regularly, if not all the time, to anybody who'll listen in order to draw substantive attention to their plight.

Instead, he opportunistically uses the publicity of Astori's death in order to denigrate the public's reaction so that he could flaunt his own personal morality, and in doing so reveals that it is as shallow as his face is hideous.

6. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you know this guy in his personal life to make the assumptions you are making ?

7. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #2058 scirea6, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Nope, and I could care less.

I've seen enough of his behavior in public to not to give a shit about who he is in private. That's the province for his family, and I am not his family. If he's a saint in real life, then that's great. If there's a God he'll be rewarded and if there's not he'll be remembered by the people who (should) matter most to him.

Either way, he's a public figure, and I will judge him accordingly. If he wanted to be spared the judgments of strangers, he could have remained a private person. But clearly his job suits his personality, and if he or anybody else wants mercy, then they can find Jesus.

gumbacicc repped this.
  8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not relevant here, what's relevant is that in his public life we don't see him making statements about dying kids. We don't see him setting up a charity to help them, or going to benefits for them, or him even taking them up as a cause. That's what Scirea is referring to.

scirea6 repped this.
  9. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly.

Even if he does participate in charitable causes, it's not like he took the opportunity to promote them or to inform others about what they could do or how they could help. He just used it as an opportunity to bask in his own moral righteousness.

That's a shitty thing to do any way you look at it. Hiding behind the cheap generalities of universal human suffering and "dying children" does not mask the hollowness of Alves's statement, regardless of how he behaves in private.

Dante repped this.
  10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    If he had any sense, he would have stopped at "it's a tragedy. My condolences to his loved ones."

St. Michael's Sword and scirea6 repped this.
  11. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly, which is why I called him a narcissist.

It was so important that others acknowledge his own moral superiority that he used that particular opportunity to grandstand, knowing full well that there would be blowback and that at least some of it would be negative.

That has nothing to do with starving children whatsoever, but it has everything to do with Dani Alves, himself.

St. Michael's Sword and gumbacicc repped this.
  12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    When I first saw that doll, I thought it was my good buddy Cuadrado!

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You don't need to know him personally to have an opinion on how fake his comments were.

phat and scirea6 repped this.
  15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of chatter that Juve will be in the US to play in the MLS All-Star game on August 1st, in Atlanta.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Saw a rumor that they will play Real Madrid at FedEx Field.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deleted User x repped this.
  18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd definitely go to that one. Atlanta is too far considering the other travel I'm doing this spring/summer.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scirea6 repped this.
  20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A TRIP UP THERE

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    calabrese8 and Deleted User x repped this.
  22. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too far on the other side of the continent for me. For a bit longer travel I can just head to Torino

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2074 falvo, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    As opposed to playing in friendly preseason tournaments in Europe , you can bet the MLS all star game in Atlanta will be a sellout.

The Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a multi-purpose retractable roof facility is a thing of beauty.

[​IMG]

As much as everyone knocks and hates or loves to hate MLS , and regard it as an inferior league, I can't name any outfit in the world who has made the progress this league has made or for that matter, sell 71,000 seats to a regular season game like Atlanta United has done in one years time. I can't name any team in Europe and no one in Italy. I can just imagine this happening to Benevento or Crotone. That would take a miracle.

Atlanta United's record-breaking 2017 attendance by the numbers ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m wondering if they will install real grass or leave the field turf?

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the stadium. Sure it looks nice, but even with the roof open it still looks dark on the inside. I go to a lot of lacrosse games at the Carrier Dome and it's a lot brighter in there than it is in MB stadium. Plus playing on turf is a joke.