The Orville [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, May 20, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Goodsport, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    This show debuts on Sunday, September 10th.

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Series premiere tonight.

-G

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Made halfway through before bailing…trying too hard and not very funny…

Setup DVR to record and might give it another shot, but not very good so far….

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw one review of the show, and you wouldn't want to put too much stock in a single review...but the review was incredibly brutal.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought it wasn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. Some silly parts, but overall it wasn't bad. I've seen far worse from shows that have been lauded by many.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I haven't read any reviews, but I can imagine them being negative. It was just ok. It was all predictable and simple. I expected more humor. I'm sure I'll keep watching and have no expectations for it.

8. ellaspy

ellaspy New Member

Arsenal FC
    Mexico
    Sep 4, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down on his luck after a bitter divorce, Planetary Union officer Ed Mercer finally gets his chance to command his own ship. Determined to prove his worth and start a new chapter, Ed discovers the first wrinkle in his plan when the First Officer assigned to his ship is his ex-wife, Kelly Grayson. As the new commander, Ed assembles a qualified -- but eccentric -- crew, including his best friend, Gordon, who has problems with authority but is the best helmsman in the fleet; Dr. Claire Finn; Bortus, an alien from a single-sex species; Isaac, an artificial life-form from a machine society; navigator John Lamarr; Alara Kitan, a young, inexperienced security officer; and Yaphit, a gelatinous creature.

This is the information that I have gathered.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really liked the captain character, but I didn't really care for any of the others and I actively hate the helmsman.

But this was Encounter at Farpoint in more ways than one, and that really sucked, so I expect this to get better once the introductions (and divorce arguments) are out of the way.

sitruc and Ismitje repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed like it couldn't decide if it was Star Trek or Galaxy Quest, and ended up being neither particularly well. I will give it a couple of more episodes though.

sitruc repped this.
  11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty forgettable. There was one meta-joke I liked. (Spoilers, there's an [R] in the thread title so you can't complain.) When they were escaping the science planet with the device, the captain tells the scientist "hey, get behind Alana", and the scientist was all "ok, but which one is Alana, I'm still trying to remember all your names", and then the strong girl identified herself again. I enjoyed it as a comment on how they introduced a bunch of characters and probably the audience can't remember their names yet. I mean, I'm pretty sure her name wasn't Alana. For now, we can refer to them by their characteristics: captain, captain's ex aka Mockingbird from Agents of Shield, slacker helmsman x2 (indistinguishable in character if not in appearance), strong girl, wise doctor, stuffy alien, bigoted robot. (I'm hoping for more out of the bigoted robot, I think there's potential there.)

LouisianaViking07/09 and sitruc repped this.
  12. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll tell you the one quality this show has that gives it a lot of spejic good will - it loves Star Trek. Just like Galaxy Quest loved Star Trek. And Star Trek loved Star Trek. If it keeps that, it will find it's way.

Bad Robot does not love Star Trek.

Belgian guy repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Bad Robot was given Star Trek and then asked "What the ******** am I supposed to do with this crap?" Then they said, "I know, I'll make it more like Star Wars!"

Dante repped this.
  14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to lie, I don't mind the ST Kelvinverse, I know what it is and that's what allows me to enjoy it a lot more. For me the Prime universe is the universe. I would love to see how they'd imagine DS9 though, not going to lie, that would interest me.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I meant to comment last night that it's still not good.

I don't know how to retool it or if it would be better as 30 minute episodes.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it might work better as a 30 minute series, but the wife and I actually enjoyed this weekends episode. Is it great? No, not at all, but it's a fun show to just turn off your mind and laugh at. Although I was taken back with how many 20th century references there were in this episode. Compton, Kermit, Real Housewives, etc. etc.

spejic and Ismitje repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is essentially what I said when my wife asked if I was still interested in watching after the second episode.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife, literal question when watching it. "Did they have to pay Star Trek to make this show?" I was like, what? no, why? she said because it's so much like Star Trek, but kinda funnier.

I think that might be why I enjoy it so much, it's an ode to Trek and they don't make any qualms about it. It knows what it is, and while it's still finding its feet, it's playing to that.

Ismitje repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four episodes in, and I find it pleasant. Unexpected surprise to have Liam Neeson in a cameo.

EDIT: and Charlize Theron next week? They're bringing out the big guns!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Goodsport repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  21. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Struggling to get or enjoy…the dramedy isn’t working for me….the much of cast doesn’t to have the chops to pull off the drama and they [or the writers) aren’t funny enough to pull off the comedy… MacFarlane maybe funny and creative in a lot of ways, but his acting just plain sucks…

I will pull out the “I really want to like it” card and give it a few more episodes…

22. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really liked the last two episodes. They've toned down the cringy style of humor and developed a sort of relaxed modern-everyman-in-Star-Trek-situations theme.

Dante repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm not digging this show at all. I honestly thought it'd be a parody of Star Trek, but it honestly feels like Star Trek hahaha

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is having Rob Lowe as a guest star, but so made up you can't really tell it's Rob Lowe except from the voice, a net positive?

I wonder if it was him in the flashback in episode one.

sitruc and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i don't think it was him. some random extra i'm sure.

sitruc repped this.