The Opioid Epidemic - A.K.A The Crisis of Addiction

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the gist?

I know a guy who used ibogaine to kick heroin addiction many years ago, swears by it now and even wrote his doctoral dissertation on the subject. I've heard similar things about psilocybin mushrooms and ayahuasca.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psychedelics can overcome depression, was the gist.

crazypete13 and luftmensch repped this.
  3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks, that's my experience as well. Use them in the right situation with good-hearted people you trust and they can be life-changing. But use them in the wrong situation with the wrong people and they can also be life-changing, and not in a good way.

Dr. Wankler and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interview was on microdosing, to be particular. 10 micrograms a day or something.

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've heard that's become quite popular, particularly with people in the tech industry who do that while working to boost creativity. I didn't know that specifically was being used for depression, though that makes sense too.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/20/15328384/opioid-epidemic-drug-legalization

Very, very thought provoking article. The writer makes the case that the opioid epidemic shows that the US is terrible at drug regulation, and makes him re-think his position on legalization of hard drugs. (Pot should still be legalized in his view.) His core argument is that how opioid abuse has become a serious problem in the US is a case study supporting the position of those who believe legalizing cocaine, heroin, etc., would lead to more problems than it solves. Previously, the writer believed that the problems caused by the illegality of those drugs was greater than the problems caused by legalization and the presumed increase in use and abuse.

The writer points out that the FDA has been useless in curbing opioid abuse, that it has been law enforcement that has gone after drug companies for false marketing and overprescription. I know I'm a liberal, so maybe it's my bias, but in the end the argument that if we make selling cocaine a legal, profitable business, that lobbying will make proper regulation impossible, that argument seems really strong.

So long as our political economy has corporations as powerful as they are, and consumers and workers as weak as they are, legalization is incredibly risky. At best.

Here's another article from a libertarian perspective.

http://www.realclearpolicy.com/blog/2016/01/04/questioning_my_drug_libertarianism.html

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Listening to Joe Rogan talking to Dennis McKenna (brother of Terrance). Talk about fascinating.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I remember correctly, Terence had a ... well, rather irritating voice.

Hey, it's not NPR, but it is on youtube:

and it's only 2 hours and 51 minutes.

And Dennis doesn't have the same vocal ticks as Terence....

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Uhhh...that guy is drawing some weird conclusions about the connection between doctors overprescribing and libertarian ideas of legalization. I have my doubts that the guy really holds or held actual libertarian ideas about drugs if he's noting the increase in overdose deaths but not also then noting that opioids are still highly-controlled and highly-illegal to have without a government permission slip (the issuance of which has been devolved on a very, very limited basis to doctors). It reads as an attempted synthesis of libertarians ideas in an effort to create something to argue against, i.e. a more well-crafted caricature.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Listening to #946 now.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Have to head out, but I'll pick this up at the 40 minute mark.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @Timon19 thanks for the Rogan tip. His talks with Jordan Peterson are pretty good, too.

But onto the thread topic. An article about Portsmouth, Ohio...

The American Consevative has a good tl;dr summary...

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/portsmouth-ohio-trump/

Full length article here...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/17/drugs-opiod-addiction-epidemic-portsmouth-ohio

It isn't pretty.

Portsmouth, Ohio, once known for making things (steel, shoes, bricks), is now known for drugs, and labeled by some as the “pill mill of America”. The city peaked at 40,000 people in 1940, and as it emptied of factories and jobs – some made obsolete, some moved away – it also emptied of people and hope.

Now it is a town half the size, filled with despair and filling with drugs.

On my first night in town, a beat-up car parks next to me, positioned in the darkness cast by my van. The passenger, a middle-aged woman, injects the driver in the neck. He stays still, head tilted to expose a vein, as she works the needle in, while two young boys play in the back seat.

Done, they pull away as I try to fool myself into thinking I didn’t see what I saw.

soccernutter and NORML repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Rogan's a super-interesting guy. He's good at...talking to people.

I think he called the Peterson episode one of his favorites all-time. It certainly was thought-provoking.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Brummie repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It can happen anywhere but still primarily the scourge of the Opioid Belt.

Then there's this part from the article:

Ares-Romero, the doctor, said most of the overdose victims who arrive by ambulance from Overtown actually live somewhere else. She said people come from as far as West Palm Beach, 70 miles to the north, to find a quick fix on Overtown’s struggling street corners.

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor is he recognizing that a lot of the overdose deaths are because of the rampant use of fentanyl to cut heroin.

sitruc repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now elephant tranquilizers? Whitelandia - y'all need some new hobbies.

While fentanyl is tightly regulated in the US, Baer said Chinese labs have begun tweaking the molecular formula to create similar drugs that aren't yet illegal in either country, some even more potent than fentanyl. One variation, which is already regulated in the US, is Carfentanil, a tranquilizer that veterinarians use to sedate elephants and other large animals. Itturned up recently in heroin seized in Cincinnati, and it has also been linked to overdoses in Kentucky, Florida, and Akron, Ohio, which saw 230 drug poisonings — 20 of them fatal — in July.

"We're trying to get a better handle on how widespread it is and where it is," said Gladden, the CDC researcher.

https://news.vice.com/article/americas-new-deadliest-drug-fentanyl

20. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever you read reports of multiple ODs in communities over a short period of time, it usually means their smack was polluted with fentanyl or something like it.

Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or better reporting of a crisis.

22. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the sort of situation I'm talking about. It's not about better reporting of the opioid crisis, it's about anomalies in the typical number of ODs in a community.

In this case, a town went from 18-20 ODs a week - already a huge crisis in a town of 50K -- to having 27 in 4 hours.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, shit. My bad. Gotcha.

24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This is becoming more common place as a loophole for importing drugs in general.. Benzodiazephines ordered via the internet from Europe are a good example.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good God...that's 1 in 2000 citizens. In four hours!!! Just imagine each of those people having, say, 20 relatives or close friends (that's a low estimate, but it makes the math easy), that's 1% of the town having someone they care about OD in a 4 hour period. It's like a freakin' mass casualty event.

ETA: This happened last August.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.