The Opioid Epidemic - A.K.A The Crisis of Addiction

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A few months ago, my wife and I were in Philadelphia (across the street from the Reading Market) and we were aggressively panhandled. The guy wanted money, but failing that, food from my bag would've been fine. Normally, I'll help a guy out with a buck or something.

But not if he has a needle and a bag in one of his hands.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have no way of knowing if they were addicts or not, but when I was in Rochester a couple months ago, I was hit up more frequently by panhandlers than I had been in Philadelphia, and I probably walked about 20 more miles in Philly.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My aggressive Im-gonna-stick-my-foot-up-yer-ass stare to aggressive panhandlers after many years of walking around NYC usually does the trick. The mellow ones get spare change or a few bucks. And I dont really care what they spend it on.

luftmensch and russ repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It usually takes me a few days to get my city stare back, though I tend to be left alone in cities because I dress way down when I go exploring: a friend of mine once said my clothes look like a prison warden gave them to me a day earlier right before they put me on a bus (which is why, when I get back to the hotel, I have my "key" out).

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah,nobody northeast of Oswego would have enough money on them at one time to make begging worthwhile.

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My bro who's lived in semi-rural Maine for 25 years rags on NY & NJ. The traffic, the crowds, the cost, etc. When I drive to his local shopping center without fail there are 1 or 2 beggars on the corner with signs. Never see that in my suburban NJ hellhole. :D

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's another reason this thread is different. The gateway drug is a legal product that a very large and powerful industry controls. And pushes.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, the sudden epiphany that addiction is an issue which should not be criminalized is not what I have been arguing. But this particular reason why this should not be separated out is why I'm arguing this so strongly. If we decide to strengthen drug laws v. drug manufacturers, the opioid crisis is solved, but the addiction issue is not.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to the NPR segment today on psychedelics. It was an amazing interview.

I cannot find the clip.

luftmensch and crazypete13 repped this.
  11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #87 crazypete13, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    That is an oversimplification to me.

There are numerous drug war parallels that fit here, and many that do not. Far too many substances are abused and have plenty of ramifications (or lack thereof) depending on who is using and providing.

Alcohol is legal, and is arguably the most addictive and harmful to communities - in general there are issues like: police turning a blind eye to drunk driving by co-workers, historical racial prejudice used to criminalize cannabinoids, psychedelics and club drugs being created for party purposes, opioids being marketed and traded and addicts being abetted via varying scenarios for centuries, crack vs coke and how that affected whites vs POC, date rape drugs.

We can hive off the discussion into a half dozen threads, but the common element is addiction, or at a more basic level: pleasure seeking. This is why I say this should be a separate thread.

stanger and American Brummie repped this.
  13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Watched 'Orange Sunshine' on Netflix - it's about the chemists behind LSD in the 60s - it touched on some of this due to the origins of the drug used by the CIA as a truth serum, and research done in the 40s and 50s on mental health benefits.

Would like to hear that segment.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    luftmensch and song219 repped this.
  15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Bluto11 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #91 soccernutter, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    The people who make the laws have never seemed to want to get into the details. Hell, my rep, when talking about the health care bill, said that addiction was a temporary condition and was a choice.

That is precisely the point I'm making. Society as a whole is finally starting to come around to addiction being a permanent medical condition, an idea which is not supported by the current laws.

sitruc and crazypete13 repped this.
  17. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #93 bostonsoccermdl, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    it
    Society is coming around (reducing stigma, etc,) but what do you suggest to help progress? The laws aren't enough unfortunately, and the powers that be are a bit "meh" about it ,clearly . I feel like this needs for of a scientific push (and in the meantime a sociological push). Strange how most of the progressive studies are being done out of the U.S. They aren't tied to the current "Minnesota model" (which unfortunately is the default answer despite its poor success rate) and actually are more open minded on new ways to combat the issue.
    We discuss alternatives but here is a model which I support:
    http://www.yesmagazine.org/peace-ju...-in-half-by-connecting-users-with-communities
    The Opposite of Addiction Is Connection
    This gives us an insight that goes much deeper than the need to understand addicts.

A heroin addict has bonded with heroin because she couldn’t bond as fully with anything else.
    Professor Peter Cohen argues that human beings have a deep need to bond and form connections. It’s how we get our satisfaction. If we can’t connect with each other, we will connect with anything we can find—the whirr of a roulette wheel or the prick of a syringe. He says we should stop talking about ‘addiction’ altogether, and instead call it ‘bonding.’ A heroin addict has bonded with heroin because she couldn’t bond as fully with anything else.

So the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. It is human connection.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ahh, but there's a drug for that! I saw a corny pharmaceutical commercial...I know they all are...where some construction dude says "I got injured on the job and was prescibed an opioid. But...it backed me up. OIC - opioid induced constipation. Well ___ (wonder drug) helps me with my OIC."

superdave repped this.
  20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until they give you cancer. Pharma ads got real dark a few years back.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that ad. I thought it was weird, in the context of what I know about the opioid epidemic. As if there was an ad pre-legalization that helped you control the munchies when you're out partying with friends.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nothing terribly glamorous about heroin in this song.

23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes but our marvelous pharma companies have a drug for everything. There's a condition for blind people and I'm sure it sucks - "non 24" Basically sounds like without light their sleeping patterns get messed up. I just wonder how many people this affects compared to say, boner dysfunction.

25. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States