The Opioid Epidemic - A.K.A The Crisis of Addiction

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip, sitruc, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To expand on this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/purd...kruptcy-protection_n_5d7f01cfe4b03b5fc885ef5a

States suing the Sacklers, including several over the past week, allege the family improperly reaped billions of dollars from opioid sales despite knowledge of their harmful effects. The Sacklers, some of whom previously served on the Purdue’s board and are well-known wealthy philanthropists, have denied the allegations.

Purdue’s proposed settlement envisions it becoming a trust that would contribute to U.S. communities, at little or no cost, tens of millions of doses of drugs the company developed to combat opioid overdoses and addiction, the company said.

Purdue values the drugs at $4.45 billion over a decade, the people familiar with the matter said. Under the proposal’s terms, the restructured Purdue would be permanently bound by so-called injunctive relief, which includes restrictions on the promotion and sale of opioids.

States opposing the settlement offer have vowed to fight attempts by Purdue and the Sacklers to use bankruptcy proceedings to contain the litigation.

On Friday, New York Attorney General Letitia James said she uncovered roughly $1 billion in wire transfers “between the Sacklers, entities they control and different financial institutions, including those that have funneled funds into Swiss bank accounts.”

The information, in records an unnamed financial institution produced in response to a subpoena from James’s office, detailed financial transfers involving former Purdue board member Mortimer D.A. Sackler, according to court documents her office filed.

He allegedly used shell companies “to shift Purdue money through accounts around the world and then conceal it in at least two separate multimillion-dollar real estate investments back here in New York, sanitized (until now) of any readily-detectable connections to the Sackler family,” a lawyer in James’ office said in one of the court filings.

1. If someone argues one more time about letting the free market take care of our healthcare, we should treat him as we should treat the rich.

2. It's getting to the point where we should eat the rich.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They could buy real state in Florida, don't they have a law that you can not lose your house to creditors down there?

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. I don't think that's how it works. The law protects your residence, not your investment properties or your 10th or 12th home.

2. That's why the money goes to Swiss banks in the Cayman Islands, it becomes untraceable and the fiscal paradises are not required to inform other governments.

ceezmad repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was also your vacation home (basically your second home).

But yeah multiple properties would be too much I am sure.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, it used to be more broad, but due to the housing bubble, the law changed. I think the 2nd home is included as well since there are a lot of snowbirds.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I go by J&J headquarters all the time. I'll have to see next time if it's still there somewhere. I imagine New Brunswick authorities want to bury it deep in a landfill

An 800-pound opioid cooking spoon delivered to the front door gets your attention.

Activist and artist Dominic Esposito brought the oversized spoon to pharmaceutical giant Johnson and Johnson's New Jersey campus Wednesday as a way to protest prescription drugs' role in the opioid epidemic.

Three people wheeled the 10-foot long, four-foot tall aluminum spoon to the front door, making it impossible for commuters and workers not to see. The J and J logo was etched into the spoon handle.

dca_spoon07.jpeg

https://expo.nj.com/news/g66l-2019/...spoon-in-front-of-the-johnson-johnson-hq.html

xtomx, dapip, soccernutter and 3 others repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Then how come I only see white guys with potbellies on the news when they talk about this issue?

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The stock footage is much easier to find.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the worsening mortality among white Americans was first discovered, the data wasn't broken down by gender. And let's face it, was there anyone here that didn't think of men when they heard of an increase in deaths from substance abuse and suicide?

AIUI this study just looked at an assumption and found the assumption, one everyone made, to be false.

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...mic-prison-prosecution-criminal-investigation

Article argues that we should charge the Sacklers criminally. To me, very persuasive. In the middle of the article is a Stanford professor basically saying, not charging Pharma execs WRT to the opioid crisis is an invitation to criminality.

This also ties into a post I made, I think, in the 2020 mega thread, namely, that IMO a very ripe issue for the Democrats is the utter lack of accountability for American elites. It’s infecting pretty much every part of our society: the stupid Iraq War, college admissions, Big Pharma, Epstein, Trump’s entire professional life since about 1990, tax policy, employers of undocumented workers skating. It was A (not the, but A) factor in Trump’s win. Hillary was part of the They that had been escaping accountability for some time now.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good call

“If [the Sacklers] have the perception — and it’s the correct perception — that ‘people like us just don’t go to jail, we just don’t, so the worst that’s going to happen is you take some reputational stings and you’ll have to write a check,’ that seems like a recipe for nurturing criminality,” Keith Humphreys, a drug policy expert at Stanford University, told me.​

and

And while some smaller players like Insys are facing the potential of serious punishment, the fact the Sacklers, as perhaps the biggest contributors to the opioid crisis, may come out of this without the possibility of a criminal prosecution sends a message of impunity — that maybe fines and lawsuits are just the small cost of taking part in an otherwise very profitable business.

As Humphreys, of Stanford, put it, “It would be a powerful deterrent within that group that yes, in fact, no matter how many country clubs you belong to and how many museums you endow, you can still end up behind bars.”​

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Those were women.

Apparently, it's a hell of a crisis

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fatbastard and American Brummie repped this.
  17. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

I slightly remember this but in 2014 there was a SD Dept of Public Safety campaign that used "Jerking Isn't a Joke" and "Don't Jerk and Drive" to stress the dangers of overcorrecting the steering wheel on icy roads.

Google the images for yourself 'cause I ain't.

Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  18. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, this is a real ad from four or five years ago - I came across this campaign while looking up the newer meth ad campaign. Slogan: Why die on Mars when you can live in South Dakota?

It looks like South Dakota might be weirder than previously thought.

raza_rebel repped this.
  19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #294 raza_rebel, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Way to swing for the fences there. I'd like to see the ad slogans that were tabled tbh.

• South Dakota: We exist!
    • South Dakota: For people who think North Dakota is too wild.
    • South Dakota: Hey, do you like Bingo?

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does nobody take a step back and read things before publishing them?

Meth.
    We're On It.

This must be one of the worst slogans for a program ever.

When the State of Illinois was coming up with a name for the ACA Exchange, I was working with one of the attorneys on the project.

I suggested (as a joke):

ILL (for Illinois) Health

ILL-Health

Everybody thought it was funny.
    Nobody thought it was a good idea for name.

I am glad (for so many reasons) I do not like in South Dakota.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that going viral is the point.

Meanwhile, Minnesota gets in on the action.

(if you can't see the tweet, it's a picture of an outline of Minnesota with the text "Meth. They're on it" and an arrow pointing to South Dakota.)

dapip and superdave repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least Blue State Minny-soda correctly spelled "they're," so points for that. You just know a lot of states would have gotten that one wrong.

I like the license plates for a certain state: "Oklahoma is OK" In the name of neighboring states trash-talking, I would have expected someone to say "We're GREAT, but Oklahoma is just...OK"

I think it was Philadelphia's mass transit system that once used the slogan "We're getting there"

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really have to ask that in light of the new #CF97 badge?

Now, pretend you are Lakota, might actually want to live there, but can't find work, but also can't sell your home on the Rez to anyone that isn't Native (like anyone wants to move TO the Rez) to raise the money to buy a home or at least 3 months worth of rent / utilities anywhere in the US where there are jobs...

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    :thumbsup:

I hope your health is getting better.

We do miss you.

Post more often.

(It is also particularly interesting that is in the Opiod Thread, as those morons with the Fire must have been on SOMETHING to come up with this crap)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did NOT need to see that thing before I ate this morning.

russ and xtomx repped this.