The Opioid Epidemic - A.K.A The Crisis of Addiction

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazypete13 repped this.
  2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dapip, SwedishBorn, cmonref and 4 others repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ross County is a war zone but it's not just there. We have a problem with heroine in our high schools in both the affluent communities and the inner city.

One of the projects I was working on was in a detention facility. Talking with one of the employees, they told me just one hit of heroine can get you addicted. One.

I have no idea how to even begin to combat the problem. Is narcan the answer? It certainly saves lives but it doesn't begin to treat the addiction. It's akin to putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There was an NPR story that was a candidate for the "Let's All Laugh at Kansas" thread ...

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/52177...embrace-the-sacrifices-that-come-with-support

But for all the anger and anxiety over possible budget cuts in policy circles, in Strong City {Kansas}, quite a few people actually embrace those cuts.

"They've got to make cuts somewhere. Somebody's going to get cut, somebody's going to bleed a little bit. That's just a fact of life, but to get things back into balance," says Jim Fritch, who works at Clark's Farm and Home Store.

Jim Fink runs the store, and he agrees. Both Fritch and Fink voted for Trump.

"If you ask me would I rather see the money go for our water plant, or to possibly try to control our borders and the security of our nation, the security of our nation is more important to me," Fink says.​

[/suppressed snickers]

However, this story hits on this thread, too...

Rural communities do have their own pressing needs. Wages tend to be lower and health care harder to find. Opioid addiction and suicide are much more common. Federal programs address rural ills but quietly enough that they can be overlooked by people historically leery of anything coming from Washington.​

Anything, that is, besides a wall along the Mexican border. And defense spending.

Who needs water and addiction treatment when you got the ass-kickingess army in the world?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was friends with one of the guys in this band

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion_of_Conformity

and one time we were hanging out and he was talking about being straight edge and some of the other guys with us (some in the band, some not) started teasing him about how he was really bent edge, talking about some of the things he'd done in the recent past. Keep in mind this anecdote is from 25 years ago, when heroin was pretty exotic, at least to me.

He said he'd done heroin ONE TIME (like you say) and just that one time left him wanting more over the next several days.

That seems scary as shit to me. I have not led a straight edge life, but all the shit I've tried isn't addictive. (I did have a pack a month cigarette habit for about six months, then cut back to a pack a year, then I quit. Outside of that, I guess.) Thank God none of my dabbling was in addictive stuff.

bigredfutbol, stanger and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost 2 family members to opioid overdose last year within a week of each other. Sadly, we think the death of the first put the second over the edge. She had been addicted to pain killers for years prior. And this side of the family is very tight knit, with lots of support. You just never know. On the plus side, the brother of the one family member is now going to rehab and trying hard to stay clean.

DoyleG, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do some volunteer work around here that puts me into contact with recovering (well, ideally) addicts. For training, I sat in on some Masters degree-level drug counseling classes at a nearby college. There are interesting studies about how addicting certain drugs are. The most studied is still alcohol. Basically, around 15% of all people who drink will develop a serious dependency. That number has been consistent since Prohibition. There's nowhere near enough data to come up with a similar number for heroin yet, bit it's looking to be well over 50% and possibly as high as 80%.

8. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One of my sons' friends ODd with the syringe still in his arm...

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Big Pharma and the medical profession own a huge bit of this crisis.

soccernutter, cleansheetbsc and stanger repped this.
  10. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They do....and their lobby to kill MJ legalization is exacerbating the problem. They DGAF

Boloni86 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great article from the NYT last january on this topic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/us/opioid-crisis-epidemic.html?_r=0

Opioid addiction is America’s 50-state epidemic. It courses along Interstate highways in the form of cheap smuggled heroin, and flows out of “pill mill” clinics where pain medicine is handed out like candy. It has ripped through New England towns, where people overdose in the aisles of dollar stores, and it has ravaged coal country, where addicts speed-dial the sole doctor in town licensed to prescribe a medication.

Public health officials have called the current opioid epidemic the worst drug crisis in American history, killing more than 33,000 people in 2015. Overdose deaths were nearly equal to the number of deaths from car crashes. In 2015, for the first time, deaths from heroin alone surpassed gun homicides.

And there’s no sign it’s letting up, a team of New York Times reporters found as they examined the epidemic on the ground in states across the country. From New England to “safe injection” areas in the Pacific Northwest, communities are searching for a way out of a problem that can feel inescapable.​

12. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately she was in the medical profession. We assume that's where she started getting her drugs.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.amazon.com/World-Hurt-M...56&sr=1-1&keywords=Barry++meier+world+of+hurt

A short book by NYT journo Barry Meier, whose been on the trail of the pain-pill industry for decades. Best $1.99 I spent when I was sitting in on those courses. Even though it came out in 2013, it's a bit dated, BUT it makes clear that the rise of heroin addiction was already happening, and that it was going to be especially hard on people already dependent on pain medication.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One reason I started this thread is that this issue was on my mind. I saw an article within the last week about how Big Pharma started pushing pain meds about 20 years ago, and how they are complicit in the addiction. They KNOW some small County in KY or VT doesn't need 100,000 pills a month.

I think it's Claire McCaskill who is formally asking Big Pharma to provide data on where they send their pills.

Another thing I'd point out is this...if you have to go to a chiropractor once a week here in NC, that's $45 out of pocket every week. For many, many people that's a big hit. Far easier to get a month's worth of an opioid at $10 to $15. Less time, less money.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the major drug distributors are now being sued over the problem.

LINK

stanger and superdave repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that the US has too many lawsuits. But you know why it happens? Because every other reasonable course of collective action has been crushed. Unions can't do shit, consumer groups can't do shit, and our politics are so ********ed up that 46% of us thought electing a mentally ill racist clown was a good option.

18. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    soccernutter repped this.
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1. Gotta greatly reduce pain killer use.
    2. Need to increase funding to mental health - there is a connection to the addiction. Right now the two things are mutually exclusive.

I used to work in the recovery field. Our clientele went from homeless urban black men to white rural/poor city and young nearly overnight about 5 years ago.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A very brave family.

It’s her family’s hope that her passing will bring awareness to heroin addiction as a treatable and organic disease, and to drug proliferation in our communities and homes. In honor of Bella’s short and wonderful life, please consider a donation to the Harris House Foundation, harrishousestl.org.​

Normally, when you see the obituary of someone from their 20s through their 50s containing the phrase "died suddenly in their home," it means they overdosed. And its understandable that survivors would go that route, given that the stigma is still very powerful. So I have to admire this family's courage.

stanger repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It takes strong shit to get over addictive shit. That's not cheap.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Forgot the shot, but Medicaid was paying around $900. per monthly treatment.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999