The only other acceptable United: Loudoun

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Jan 29, 2019.

1. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Loudoun United tickets seem to be priced from $19-$54 as you go from the corners to midfield. Isn't that a little steep for minor league ball? Is that what the market will bear?

By the way, this article (pay) in the The Athletic a week and a half ago reported interest in the USL to move all the MLS-owned teams that are in USL Championship to USL League One by 2021.

benni... repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah i read that. They said its because no one watches these MLS satellite clubs. Poor attendance.

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. No one watches them. And the only MLS satellite club that is doing well is NYRB 2. The rest are midtable or worse.

benni... repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I take it tickets are digital only?

Seems to be about 50 or so left for tonight. No resale tickets available on Ticketmaster. I guess they haven’t enabled that option.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am waiting on two different LU/DCU people to get back to me on whether I can print a ticket, unsurprisingly neither is getting back to me.

If anyone here has bought a ticket online - maybe you could be more helpful - do you have an option to "print ticket"?

I am not buying one until I know that option exists at the end - and based on the complete lack of readiness for their "open house" (where nothing was open) I don't want to attend the opener - but I really, really, really want to go on Wednesday for the Battery game.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Fans get to throw batteries? Count me in! :thumbsup:

dadman, song219, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you taking the "Coffee Pot" or is that only for DC United?

dadman, fatbastard and Gittnbizzee repped this.
  8. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    I contacted the club early Friday and three people responded saying yes they could print a ticket. Got there around 5:30 and they the box office (converted shipping crate) was just opening up. No problem.

dadman, fatbastard, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    My wife and I are bicycling to the Wednesday match against the Battery. Loudoun was able to confirm for us that bicycle racks are in place at the stadium for people (like us) who live close to the stadium (or one's who are willing to make a long bike ride up the W&OD Trail).

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have it there - maybe not quite updated with the last game yet (the caretaker may procrastinate)..... and I don't think they allow drinking there (yet) so it will be just for show :)

The Cup only changes hands with DC United, but if anybody makes the trip up they should get to see it.

bigdavestud and Winoman repped this.
  11. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a weird situation. MLS eliminated its reserve league to be able to field the USL teams. The purpose of those teams is to help develop players for the MLS team. But, it wouldn't make much sense to go to far down the pyramid due to the quality of competition.

Seems likes U.S. Soccer only sanctions based on ownership net worth, stadium capacity and market size. (Attendance--in the stands-- would seem to only be the league's concern).

If USL does introduce promotion/relation in the future, could it keep other teams from promotion based purely on attendance if the other factors were met?

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The Spanish league system has this rule in place (from Wikipedia). I can imagine the US league system adopting similar requirements to keep reserve teams in a particular division.

Thx,

Jay?

Winoman repped this.
  13. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I was in town this labor day weekend for my nieces baptism, and was able to make it to the new Loudoun United stadium on Saturday night.... We had a great time. Here are a couple of notes.

-No problem with parking...found a spot easily. Then we had some time to have a beer/sandwich and kick the ball around in the parking lot.

-Stadium is nice and you feel really close to the field

-Good beer selection. I tried "Partly Cloudy IPA" from Solace brewing, which was good stuff. $8 for a 16 oz can... which is much better than what i pay for beer at Houston Dynamos stadium

-We sat in the supporters section ($15 tickets) which are right behind the goal. Its not a huge group, but its a fun group. Both of my nephews walked down to the bottom row and were given Loudoun United flags to wave.

-The level of play was about what i expected, and it was cool to see some of the young guys play (Nyeman had a sweet assist). Bustamante hit a first timer from the top of the 18 that went upper 90...outstanding goal.

-After the game (4-0 win) the players took a bow, and came over to the supporters section and gave out high fives. My nephews were pumped.

-The only negative that I could say, is there are no indoor bathrooms...its port-o-potties only... Not sure if there are any plans in the future for this.

Overall we had an awesome time. If you have young kids its a great place to watch a game, because they can see professional soccer, and it also isn't very crowded and they can move around some without bothering people. My brother has already said he is going to try to organize a trip to take his youth team to see a game there. ...If anyone is thinking about giving it a shot, i encourage you to do so. Its a good time

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were they still forcing you to park where guys with flags told you to park or have they softened up and let you find your own spot?

If you have VIP tickets, they seem to have the nicer trailer bathrooms - they had those out for the ribbon-cutting, they're pretty nice inside.
    At least they had plenty of porta-potties on either side of the stadium and people right there to keep stuff clean if needed - we found they ran out of water in one of the outdoor sinks and they came right over and filled the "water tank".

Glad you and your nephews had a good time!

sitruc, HoustonUnited and Winoman repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that really bugs me about the place is the fake grass and specifically the probably-cancerous black pellets that fly up constantly from kicking, balls bouncing, sliding, etc.
    That can't be good for the players (or the environment).

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    No, we were able to park wherever we wanted. A part of me would of preferred if they had a flagged us in though. Really the only impact to us was when we were kicking the ball around with the kids. Because they weren't flagging people in, the parking was more random, compared to fill up one row, than move to the next. So when we were kicking the ball around it became like Waynes World. Where everytime a car would go by, we would say: "Game Off"...(car passes by) ..."Game On"... but otther than that no problems.

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer bathrooms. The porta-potties didn't bother me too much, but i was more thinking if i lived closer, and wanted to take my wife/daughters to the game, they might have more of an issue with it... but really just a small complaint, and overall, like I said i thought it was a really good time

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just made plans to go to the LU game in Charleston on October 13th - one of the last games in Blackbaud stadium, really gonna miss that place, one of the nicest little stadiums I've seen for soccer. I'm sure whatever they're knocking it down to build is not going to be as nice :(

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I weren't going to be back home in Nebraska, I'd strongly consider doing the same.

Gonna miss that place. Always meant to make it back for one more match, looks like it won't happen. :(

Winoman repped this.
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me and the Missus have only been there once. It was where we met Mr. and Mrs. fatbastard. :)

USSoccerNova, Gittnbizzee and fatbastard repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually hadn't paid enough attention to LU's schedule to see they were playing there but we ran into some folks during halftime of the Sounders beatdown who told us they were going and figured we might be interested and I was immediately on-board :)

They also told us we had to go see LU at home this weekend for some reason but doing that would ruin my perfect 2019 LU attendance of seeing them only play Charleston home-and-away :)

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  21. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Did you call her Mrs. Fatbastard, and if so, how did she react? :)

JRHokie, fatbastard, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright y'all I finally did it and got my season tickets for Loudoun
    - come by and say hi (or if you're @yabo bring me a beer; no IPAs), we'll be in Sec 112, top row seats 1 & 2 (next to 111) - if we're not walking around looking for beer or a place to smoke, or jumping around with the supporters :)

24. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    We will come by when we go to games (the nine minute drive from our house is so great). We have been sitting either in 101 or 114.

Did you also get tickets for the Spirit games? While I didn’t get season tix for Loudoun, I went for the Spirit four pack.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We timed it when we went to look at seats Friday afternoon; our drive was 11 miles, about 20 minutes (first 4 miles are on dirt).

I have not looked at Spirit tix, but I figure with them being there we'll end up going to at least one of the games, maybe they'll offer us a deal (ticket rep said they are not involved in any way with the Spirit being there, but that can't be right, she probably meant the ticket people are not involved and can't sell Spirit tix).
    I love the Soccerplex (more accurately, the drive to/from) but we rarely make it out there for Spirit games for some reason.

Winoman repped this.