The only other acceptable United: Loudoun

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Jan 29, 2019.

1. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Well isn't that the whole purpose of Loudoun United?...I thought the whole purpose was to give professional experience to our academy and other U23 prospects

Speaking of which...for those of you who watched the game...the game article said Griffin Yow got on the field in the 2nd half...how did he look?

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    A prospect is someone who has a chance to actually make and contribute to the first team.

The 2 u19 players (I consider Yow u17) who started the game will not play for DC United, ever. They aren't even good enough or productive at u19 level.

Yow on the other hand is a real prospect.

3. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Fair enough...but I would also say there are probably a lot of non-prospects on most U23 teams in Europe as well.

My hope is, by showing their willingness to give playing time/development time to academy kids, we will start to see more talent enter the DC United academy

4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be interesting to see if the academy players get kicked to the side once the international prospects are cleared to play.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to love driving Cochran Mill between Rt 7 (more accurately, the Wegmans) and Sycolin as a "short-cut" - The state shut it down for a bridge replacement a while back for many months and it re-opened but no longer goes all the way through, it's disconnected somewhere - not sure if it's between the W&OD and the park/stadium or the opposite direction. Google is no help but I think I remember the VDOT map and/or the Va 511 map shows where it stops and restarts. I've been meaning to drive it to see, but have not managed to yet. It's supposed to be replaced by a new road which runs right next to the new stadium footprint and will be wide and paved (but still somehow have a ridiculously low speed limit).
    You'd think the county would steal some land to connect all those ball fields to the W&OD better.
    It's a dirt road that gets a lot of dumptruck traffic due to a quarry. You aren't gonna run into too much car traffic on it these days. Much to my chagrin.

Winoman repped this.
  6. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed, and that was my concern when I kept seeing all of the international signings. I'm sure it's a difficult balance to sign enough older USL level ready players, to keep the team competitive...while also leaving room for playing time for the academy prospects.

But to me getting professional minutes for the top academy prospects is the most important reason to have Loudoun United. It makes no sense having a second team, if it's not being used to train and give a pathway to the first team for the academy kids

bigredfutbol, John L and Winoman repped this.
  7. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I just tried scouting it out today, approaching first from Bolen Park and then from the Sycolyn Road side. The connector road in the back of Bolen Park, Shreve Road is blocked by a gate (there was a dead end sign warning of such before), that is easily traversable by bicycle. Going down Cochran Mill from Sycolyn in my FIAT was exciting. I had to turn back where water had cut deep enough into the gravel where I couldn't cross. I didn't have time to scout the approach from Wegman's and Russel Branch Road (that will have to be another day).

Winoman repped this.
  8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    LCU made ESPN’s Highly Questionable show as one of five soccer highlights. Unfortunately is was for a fire drill in the box that led to Nashville missing a sitter...

Shame The Post didn’t cover the game in any meaningful way.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, someone alert R Kelly.

Winoman, song219 and fatbastard repped this.
  10. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    He looked okay. I've seen him play in DA. He is very much the real deal at that level. He looks very small out there, as many 16 year-olds would. Hopefully he'll fill out a bit in the next few years. But, in technical/speed/soccer IQ terms, he can play at the USL level, I think.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Late with this:

There will be two local watch party locations in Loudoun County: one at the Official Pizza Partner location Paisano's Leesburg and the other at the Black Olive Bar & Grill at The National, courtesy of our Official Hospitality and Founding Partner, The National Conference Center. Join in on all the fun!

Sure wish the Paisanos local to me would carry these games.

Thx,

Jay!

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  12. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    Just picked up his first goal.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 Winoman, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    song219 and JayRockers! repped this.
  14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now signed as homegrown player.

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    He's no Ty Shipalane
    2009 (MLS) 0 App 0 Goals
    (CONCACAF) 1 App 0 Goals (unofficial: 1 wardrobe malfunction)
    2010 (MLS) 0 App 0 Goals

JG, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to thank my local government for not using the dreaded football club moniker :D

Winoman repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    West Virginia's first professional sports team.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  22. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The stadium map on the Loudoun United website shows a supporters group section. Does anyone know of any supporters groups?

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet, though one person has told me they bought season tix and they are supporter-type people.

Once I check in with them next week, I'll let you know if I hear of anything supporters-group related - please let us know if you learn anything as well (this goes for all y''all ;))

bigdavestud and Winoman repped this.