News: The OMT for the 1st Ever MUFC D.O.F

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Deadtigers, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Put it all here. Who you prefer and why? Along with what the rumor mill turns up. As of now, here is what we know

Top group:
    Name - Current Club
    Michael Zorc - Dortmund
    Monchi - Roma CEO
    Fabio Paratici - Roma DoF
    Andrea Berta - Atleti?
    Ralph Rangnick - RB Leipzig

Second tier:
    Edwin Van Der Sar - Ajax
    Patrick Kluivert - Unattached

I just want a guy who is shrewd with his purchases because we are not a galacticos type club. We usually get guys just before they become big and nuture them like Cantona and Ronaldo. Though we are not afraid to splash big money as we did with Pogba.

I want a guy that believes in the academy and bringing guys through so he will likely have to get rid of Jose cause that is not Jose's forte and I am fine with that.

I don't pay as much attention to football as you guys so I will let you guys lead. The list is just complied from what was discussed on the season thread and I added Kluivert because he came up as I was searching for the first names of some of these guys.

Pulp repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor detail of little relevance to this thread, but Canto was well established as a player by the time he came to United, having several years as a senior player both at top clubs in France and England. Not to mention he ad been a full fledged international for France for some time.

Also, I guess I must be missing the obvious, but out of curiosity what does OMT stand for?

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    An Exercise in Futility - The DOF thread

benni... repped this.
  4. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah save that for the Winter Transfer thread. We’re due a new title for those anyway.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    OMT is Official Match Thread. I didn't know we don't use it here. It is a careover from my rugby forum posting.

I am open to a thread renaming.

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why do we need a thread for this?

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To piss off Mizzou. Clearly.

Some may laugh at this. But, what about CQ??

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It is a big deal for us and deserves to be separate from the season thread.

Drae repped this.
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not really. the bulk of the discussion has already taken place in other threads. this is just a summary of what's already been said

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #10 Deadtigers, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Yeah but this process just started like with a transfer season we will hear from different sources this guy is, that guy is out, and so on until the board finally announce a guy.

Furthermore this is suppose to happen after the Carrington expansion which we know is happening but there is no timeline for when that will be completed. We maybe looking at a mid 2019 hire at the earliest, which gives plenty of time for gossip and debate.

11. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What I'm wondering with regards to these rumors is exactly what Woodward's standing is with the Glazers at the moment. Everything we've heard has been that they're on great terms, but his tenure as chief executive continues to bring...mixed results at best on the field, and if he fires Mou he would be axing his third manager already. Usually you can only get away with blaming subordinates for so long before your bosses start to question whether you should continue to be the one picking those people.

I look at the leak about the DoF (clearly originating from Woody) so shortly after a badly failed transfer window and wonder whether he isn't feeling a bit of doubt about his own security. Putting another layer between himself and the on the field results would cede some power but also remove him further from the blame if things don't get turned around. Doesn't seem like a move made from a position of strength to me.

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has taken the club from strength to strength financially. I think he's safe for now.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As good a place as any for it...

Say you are the DOF... you are appointed sometime after the winter window is closed. Assume the squad is the same as today minus Rojo & Darmian being gone.

You are to build/rebuild United in your image. Funds are not unlimited, but wages must be kept in control and the squad shouldn't balloon.

What direction are you taking the club in?

What areas are you strengthening long term? What formation/style of play do you want to employ? In the current team/style Lukaku and Pogba are the most important players by design - but DDG and Bailly are also important given squad issues and tactical issues. Who will the key players be moving forward?

What is a realistic goal for the team over the first 3 years of your appointment?

Discuss the futures of Sanchez, Martial, Fellaini.

14. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially a much better thread than that 7 month circle jerk of a summer transfer thread

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the "announcement" of a DoF is not a jerkoff from Woodward in the first place. It's a briefing, so there is actually a chance it's legit news, but until it's made official, there's reason to be pessimistic about this.
    Then again, if the reports are legit, the wait should not be too long. So, fingers crossed, by the turn of the year we'll see something happening on that front...

16. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, what's the goal for the DoF this season, and the next and the one after that? Or is this season considered a wash?

I think Pogba will walk, by the way, and go somewhere that isn't going to a big rebuilding phase where they're waiting for the U18s to grow up.

No change for Sachez, Martial, Fellaini -- no money to get replacements even if you wanted to.

Redcafe says there's a whole batch of players whose contracts are coming due in the next year. Something to keep the DoF occupied!

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    -I am buying top tier talent at an expensive rate but knowing they could be sold at a higher rate. No signing above 25 years old. Also similar Chelsea loan model of high number of players on loan and whoever makes it here great, then sell for profit the others.

-I am cutting down the squad to 18 players with youngsters to cover Carling Cup/early FA cup/UCL games knowing we already qualified to the next round.

-I get rid of dead weight in Smalling Jones then Young, Valencia, Matic, Juan Mata, Romero, Fellaini.

-Number 1 criteria in every player from back to front is comfortable on the ball. I spend my money on midfielders and back four. Attacking talent in the academy is there.

-I personally like a 4-2-3-1 because it does not burden the wingers as long as the midfielders are capable of covering along with the 10 dropping back a bit.
    -Style would be high enough D line and leave no time for the opponent on the ball. Always play out of the back with the midfielders dictating the play not the full backs. So instead of pass to Shaw then to Martial, I would pass to Pogba and let him do whatever he wants.
    -Key players are Pogba and Lukaku, period.
    -Compete in the league for the title, UCL Quarters/Semis.

Sanchez plays until we sell in 2 years. Martial signs on high wage and starts. Fellaini sold.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just want the ********er to listen to the Pride of All Europe song on repeat so they know what the ******** this club is all about.

Gilma1990, johno and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    And some the classic video of mid nineties to mid naughties Man U like this
    [​IMG]

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that unsurprisingly, we can expect to be linked with just about every name under the sun. Luis Lopez, the DoF of Ligue Un's Lilles, is the latest one.
    Not as well known as others, but he's apparently well regarded and has a solid resume, notably was a scout for Real, then was DoF at Monaco for 3yrs, prior to moving to Lilles, who made a point to bring him over, following his work at Monaco.
    He's worked hand in hand recently with the likes of Ranieri, Jardim and Bielsa, among others.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So your saying working with Mou won't be the first time he works with a stubborn madman as coach. Good experience to have.

22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    let's not get too hopeful, it all depends on what the power dynamics will be. if woodward decides to remain at the head of football operations, then the dof will only be a glorified middle man (e.g. magic johnson is calling the shots for the lakers with rob pelinka as the gm dealing with the salary cap and getting on the phone with other gm's/agents to make the trades/signings happen).

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Ashur, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    It's definitely crucial, that's why the hope is we go for some of the best/proven guys in the role. Guys who have established their credentials elsewhere, who hopefully Woodward will trust enough to give them the necessary rope to do their jobs.
    Guys like Zorc and Berta have those credentials (and personality) to be what we'd be looking for. Thought Berta was free and no longer was with Atleti, but he's still got the job by the looks of it. Zorc's record of success in recent years and how he goes about his business (big/outspoken personality) speak for themselves.
    Not sure what motivates him, but with the right pitch (to be a major part in United's return to greatness, from a football point of view), then who knows? We know that financially, Woodward could easily beat what he's making with Dortmund.
    Just get the impression he'd be a breath of fresh air to the club, one that is desperately needed.

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #24 JC7rox, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    [​IMG]

First job should be to get rid of the dead weight. Sorry to say but most Fergie holdovers (bar DDG) should be sold. No more Mata on the right. No more Fellaini to "close a game out."

LA. MAN UNITED and Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States