The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be reading too much into it, but in both the Spanish and English version of his marca interview, he specifically says he will be coming back "next year."

It may not mean much, but his contract runs out in 2022 and the ESPN article on the story says there have been no talks about extending his deal yet.

Perhaps next year could be his final year with us. In summer 2020, we will have to make a decision whether to extend or sell because we don't want to lose him for cheap in 2021.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I wish we could sell and move for De Ligt.

I can see Zidane has hammered into these guys that they have played poorly and must step up next season but with some of these guys I have just lost faith

3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #1003 Shay Z, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Players like to talk from season to season. And to be honest most clubs function on a season to season basis as well. I like his honesty and to set the record straight so that people don't fall for silly rumors (they still will) during the summer. If he has a good season we will probably extend him, especially if Sergio is closer to his retirement.

I am a big fan of De Ligt but we can't have every player and our main focus should be improving the attack. Looks like Zizou has made it aware to all these players that they have embarrassed themselves this season and they should take it as a personal mission to get back to their top levels next season.

MiamiNative0722 and Anon. repped this.
  4. Pundorikakho

Pundorikakho Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Kolkata, India
    Not sure about recovering the best Marcelo, but if ZZ can get Varane back to his best, I feel it will be a big boost for us. I am glad he chose to stay.

Digital and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  5. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #1005 MerlinRM, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Real Madrid quality starting CB market looks bare right now besides De Ligt and a few unattainables. We can't afford to lose him but damn I really had high hopes for Varane back in 2014. I really do hope we see him back at his best.

6. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's the most valuable CB in the world right now, with VVD close behind him. Unfortunately the performances don't show that.

7. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    Koulibaly is better then Varane.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's almost 30 and nobody heard of him until a few months ago. The Koulibaly hype has transfer bust written all over it.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  9. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    Almost 30? He will be 28 next month. And he is a great defender for at least 3 years now. Not just for a couple of months like you are suggesting.

And I'm not saying that he's better than Varane, but your statements are wrong.

PigBenis, Akramzizou, surgeon and 3 others repped this.
  10. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I never comment on players I don't watch. I did watch Napoli and this guy is really good for 3 season now. Much better then Varane ever was. He's a bit old so value for money would not be optimal, but if we find ourselves in a situation where we need a top CB, it's pay up or hope for a Vallejo to be good enough at this point.

It's similar to your comment on Hazard. If neeeded just pay up and hope for the the best. I'd pay whatever we get for Varane to get him. Wouldn't think twice.

Kroosinator repped this.
  11. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I say he's much better. Full package, best CB out there imo.

Kroosinator repped this.
  12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane best defender at a world Cup, a dominant player in CL campaigns, an absolute stud of a character but the player that was watching on TV while Varane was doing all of that "is a much better player".

Foh with that prisoner of the moment roast mixed with some grass is greener on the other side stew.

-Reivax- repped this.
  13. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    I don't rate Varane that highly. I don't care what he does for his national team. For the club it has been up and down from him.

When I watch Koulibaly I see a better player. We'll just have to disagree.

Kroosinator, Hsain85 and Eddie repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane is more accomplished and plays in a much tougher environment. We signed players like Cannavaro that were World class and they had nightmares. Not even gonna go back to a Walter Samuel who fled Madrid overnight.

Pepe broke the chain, but people really forget how difficult it is to play this position in Madrid. Almost everybody that joined this club had nightmarerish nights.

15. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  16. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hopefully he'll also receive the "I think I remember now how to play football and defend" award.

17. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing that gives me hope with Varane is that he knew he wasn't at his best this season. There are quite a few that wouldn't acknowledge their own faults in a bad season. I hope this summer break recharges him to reach new heights.

18. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [QUOTE="4x4s, post: 37819437,We signed players like Cannavaro that were World class and they had nightmares. .[/QUOTE]

They did, but we spoke about this before - Cannavaro was central to getting the team winning both La Ligas. His experience was vital in controlling the backline.

Do not get me wrong - Cannavaro wasn't the signing he was supposed to be, but at the same time he was vital - he started every single game - let's give him some credit.

19. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They did, but we spoke about this before - Cannavaro was central to getting the team winning both La Ligas. His experience was vital in controlling the backline.

Do not get me wrong - Cannavaro wasn't the signing he was supposed to be, but at the same time he was vital - he started every single game - let's give him some credit.[/QUOTE]

Here's an example of one of his performances that were so important.

20. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1149037750810763268 is not a valid tweet id

Let's remember what he is capable of

Lyra, Anon. and Shay Z repped this.
  21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I wanna see the dog in him come out a bit more. Seems like big personalities like Ramos eat up all the light around them but at some point we want Rafa to be the leader. He has all the attributes and talent and experience. Checks all the boxes now just has to actually do it. This could be his home for the rest of his career if he has a strong season.

22. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy was getting a lot of heat last year.

He never gets the praise he deserves. He’s been excellent all through this campaign, back to his world class self.

Anon., Doni, Zidane05 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He does get the praise, everybody who deserves it does too.

24. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Getting tons of praise - last post in his own thread was back in July.

I agree with the original sentiment, I was seeing more negative posts than I thought necessary.

They all go through it though, I'm sure most here still love the guy. Great game today.

Anon. and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  25. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Half of the players threads are dead, means nothing. He gets praise in match threads.