The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    You talk a lot for someone who has brought up nothing to support your opinion.

2. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane isn't made to look like a poor passer because we intentionally aim to kick the ball to the opponents half. The causality is the other way around: we kick the ball to the opponents half because Varane is a poor passer. So your theory is wrong.

The problem with Varane is that he doesn't think ahead of the play. Too often when under pressure he hesitates on the ball and makes a pass a second too late, and the pass is too fast or a bit astray making it harder for the teammate (who is already under pressure due to Varane's poor timing) to control it. This is a problem when were building from the back. I'm not going to dig for evidence for this, if you don't see it, thats fine, ignorance is bliss anyway. I've noticed this from the beginning, but I thought that with time it will go away as experience will make him more composed. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened.

In any case my disappointment comes from overly high expectations: even if Varane hasn't progressed a millimetre from 2013, hes still a solid centerback. Only that now I'm hoping that he becomes as good as Pepe, rather than expecting that he becomes as good as Maldini.

3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm going to say the sky is orange, if you don't see it, ignorance is bliss anyway. Keep throwing shit against a wall, and when people present actual stats and examples, you "lol" and say they have no knowledge on the issue.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Player with one of the highest passing percentages for a central defender bad at passing.

Hendrix22 like:

5. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of course, you can't be expected to address an actual point, ever. Empty statistics is the best you can do, and the rest is mudslinging.

This video is better 'evidence' of Varane's playing the ball out than the previous one.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You claim Varane is bad at passing the ball, i believe otherwise and deliver the proof. Varane has a higher pass accurancy than Boateng, Hummels, Verthongen, and equals percentages of players on Manchester City's squad who play up to 80 short passes per game and are basically trained to have that kind of success rate. Varane would absolutely thrive there combining both his high pass success rate, and his athleticism that we use a lot. People would look at his there and turn around and say how bad our central defenders are. Like it always happens here.

Under Mourinho, Varane had a ton of long balls and clearances, way more than now.

You literally have no point other than "well you don't have a clue because if you did, you would know what i mean".

As i said. Trash.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  7. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you legit arguing with someone who has a Balotelli avatar and wanted us to buy him ?

8. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A statistic which simply makes the distinction between passes that hit the target and passes that miss the target is completely useless, as it fails to consider how and when it happens and who that target is. Football is not basketball and statistic like these are meaningless as those claiming that Ronaldo is a great passer because of how many assists he had in a season.

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Other than the fact that the game connects over 9 out of 10 passes he plays, but please try to find a weakness in that 0,6 pass per match to make a huge deal out of so you can say that he "didn't progress a single milimeter since he joined us".

By now i'm enjoying the humour of a guy claiming a player that connects 94 out of 100 passes can't pass the ball well.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  10. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your 94% passing completion statistic is a joke. 90 percent of the teams we play sit back. Under pressure he's not a good passer, he's indecisive and lacking in composure. I don't understand how people can criticize Casemiro for not passing well under pressure but Varane is off limits when he is just as important.

Funny thing is you said he clears the ball often 'because thats our strategy', yet at the same time he's such a good passer. Wonder which one is it then. Finally, since all you can do is deride I will just leave this here and end this discussion: did Varane become a better passer in the five years since he's been here? The answer is obvious, but ignorance is bliss.

(not to mention how the entire discussion became just about passing and his bad positioning which never improved was completely forgotten - props for that, you're truly a master of the art of manipulation)

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You haven't brought a single conclusive argument to the discussion. He trumps other top level defenders in both clearances and passes. The fact that most teams sit back is highlighted by his interceptions which are lower than those of defenders who do more work. Varane is absolutely top shelf, and has evolved from a quick lanky dude with promise to somebody with am actual purpose and idea of his skills. You just say "oh I can't be bothered to look it up" because all you got is your opinion which is trash.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  12. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #887 fierro, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    I think Varane has great ball control and passing for a defender, and more so given those gangly four foot long legs. I think what @Hendrix22 is arguing is that his decision making remains suspect both on the ball and in defense, and that should have improved with age and experience.

I really don't get into statistics because unlike American football the game is not broken down by the second and measured with giant rulers painted onto the field.

Based on statistics alone its almost impossible to infer if a players "clearances " are due to "pressure" or "bad decisions" or if credit for "pass completion" should be credited to the midfield and forwards for collecting / recovering otherwise bad passes or contrarily if a players consistently makes good passes but the receiving players don't control them or fail to prevent the resulting turnover. It's almost entirely subjected even if a person is bored enough to go through the ardous task of reviewing games one second at a time.

As to the video, that's classic kick and run on the counter with acres of space, if that type of evidence is the standard to establish dribbling and decision making then Bale is a hybrid of Maradona, Cruyf, and Pele on steroids.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I usually measure passing accurancy by judging passes based on which day it was on venus' orbit from the zodiac and to what degree venus was to the sun.

When comparing the same player since 2010 at Lens to today, consistent statistic will do. He climbed from 75% pass accurancy slowly but surely to a steady +90% since he joined Real Madrid. Comparing him to the progression of other players in his position using the same statistic is an obvious way to measure improvement.

We're not judging a painting. We're discussing a simple task of playing the ball to a teammate. It's simple maths. You either play a good pass, or you don't.

He didn't tank his way through, he choose the path a fullback would take and picked a clever pass instead of slamming the ball with all he has. It's a prime example of "composure". He is seeing a lot more of the ball by now, and for good reason, he's becoming better and better at moving it forward.

janos audron and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  14. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is this another round of Hendrix + Fierro vs. the moderator team?

Can't we agree that he's had some amazing games and still will be our #1 defender one day?

janos audron repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    See according to hendrix he's worse than when he joined us. If you don't agree you're simply not watching attentively and carefully enough.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  16. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why are you trying to pretend that what you quoted and what you replied are not mutually exclusive? Varane was already a very good defender when we got him. The sarcasm might fool the sheep around here, but its just as empty as the stats and the evidence you posted.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    As opposed to?

18. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Common sense.

19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Cool, just @ me when you post something with some of that ^.

Ahmadi8 and rrrrrafik repped this.
  20. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @Zidane05 you're a terrible moderator.

Shay Z and 4x4s repped this.
  21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The only reason we need moderators is because of people like you. You keep us employed :)

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The rapper?

23. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess getting your causality wrong is a prerequisite for a moderator:laugh: The only reason there are 'people like me' is that you have a derogatory and condescending attitude to anyone who doesn't think like you. Which is the sign of being a terrible moderator.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He just got a better contract wo months ago, we're closing the wage gap between the supermods and the regular mods.

Shay Z and Hendrix22 repped this.
  25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The only sign that I'm a terrible moderator is that you're still around in this forum. I feel I'm letting everyone on the forum down by having them read your insufferable diarrhea.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sneakking, libertao and Shay Z repped this.