The Official Welcome Keylor Navas Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lyra, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Navas will be 32 next summer. Not old, especially for a goalkeeper, but from all sides we can accept it will be a good time to cash in. If he goes next year and we get Courtois for free, it will be a perfect changing of the guard.

Either way though, I can't help but feel that whatever happens Keylor will be leaving Real Madrid quite aggrieved by the way he has been treated.

robnycus and Excape Goat repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    At the end of the day, the guy won more trophies than he could have ever hoped. This club is all about competition, and your position is unsafe every season.

Lyra, ahnaf and Yannick Relens repped this.
  3. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You never know, he might extend his contract, or someone else will take him for a discount this summer (or next one for free offering him wages we cant match). Courtois for half the price of Allisson is great business.

Shay Z, Zidane05, S1na and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Not if you're Raul, Benzema and a few others....

I agree with what you are saying but again, there is no harm in waiting until next year as you save £30m-£40m and whatever increase in salary over Navas Courtois will be on.

Courtois wants to come to Madrid and at the same time he is seemingly okay to spend one more in London. No need to rush. In less than 6 months we can sign him for the next season on a free.

If we're going to essentially spend that kind of money when we don't have to, I would rather spend it on someone like Martial, Mariano or put that sum towards the transfer for Dybala, Icardi etc.

robnycus repped this.
  5. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Only other team that can take him is Atlético Madrid. He want to go back to Madrid because his family is there; that is main reason he wants to move.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kroos was also "free in a year" and nobody considered it bad business.

Shay Z and Zidane05 repped this.
  7. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know why there is even a discussion about signing Courtois for that price.

Shay Z, Zidane05, -Reivax- and 1 other person repped this.
  8. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    You gotta complain about something...

9. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You never know when PSG or Man City could come knocking with a crazy salary...

10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Navas will be a legend here for the titles he has won with the team. Over the years, the mistakes will be forgotten and only his heroics will be remembered, and rightly so. From a business perspective, going from Navas to Courtois is a no brainer, but it is sad to see all these key figures in our success the past 5 years leave in one summer.

Shay Z repped this.
  11. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Mate, you seem to miss the main point all the time. Kroos was free in a year but we needed a replacement for Xabi Alonso right there and then.

That is not the case with the Courtois situation. Furthermore, we're very unlikely to be competing with any other club for his signature because Madrid, the city, is where he wants to be.

Lyra repped this.
  12. Romanero

Romanero Member+

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

did we? we purchased Kroos before Alonso was sold, they even played together, Alonso transfer came out of nowhere

13. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We bought Kroos before we sold Alonso. Xabi left cause he was hitting the bench here and Pep promised him a starting role at Bayern.

14. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    @Romanero @Açores57

I may stand corrected but it was to my knowledge we knew that Xabi was leaving and that's why we signed Kroos.

15. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Possibly but even that I doubt. Xabi left with a couple days remaining in the window I recall, the whole transfer seemed rushed.

If we knew he was leaving it would’ve happened earlier, Bayern almost always do their transfer business early in the window.

16. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, signed Kroos and then Xabi was hit up by Pep to go to Bayern. It was a surprise for all of us here and some of us didn't take it well.

Anon., Eddie, Ƭяιиιтʏ and 3 others repped this.
  17. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nothing but love for Navas, but if we really signed Courtois for 35M, its a bargain and no doubt he is a better goalkeeper than Navas (not to mention younger)

Zidane05 repped this.
  18. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    *raises hand*

19. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could/would have kept Casemiro knowing Xabi would leave.

Ahmadi8 and natenate101 repped this.
  20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Same here. I remember Nate and I were quite upset. Like we didn't even want to acknowledge it level of upset. We still haven't forgiven him.

Ƭяιиιтʏ, Ahmadi8 and natenate101 repped this.
  21. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Younger and taller but not better.

MerlinRM, ABB94 and Hendrix22 repped this.
  22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Courtois is a good deal. Let's try to sell Navas for more than 35 million.

23. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I remember there were rumors at the time also about something in his personal life also perhaps playing a role.

I will say that he got a tremendous send-off from the Bernabeu after we eliminated Bayern in 2017.

Shay Z repped this.
  24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Some marital problems if the rumors were true.

25. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was initially against it for a few reasons:

- I thought Courtois has the patience to wait another year to join his family in Madrid, but i don't think that's the case anymore. He seems eager to move and there's a possibility Atletico sell Oblak and get him.
    - I felt bad for Keylor who imo is as good as Courtois. I understand that the club should look for what's best competitively but i still feel sad for him.
    - I was thinking we are gonna spend big on Neymar/Mbappe (200M+) this summer and thought that we're gonna spend most of our budget for one of those two.

For that price, at his age and quality Courtois is easily one of the best signings we could do right now.