News: The Official Vlatko Andonovski Thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Oct 24, 2019.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/10/28/vlatko-andonovski-uswnt-coach-outlook-roster-olympics

Namdynamo repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be interested to see how much slack posters here are going to be willing to give Andonovski. A lot of posters here were critical of Ellis every time the US women had a slip, from the beginning to the end, even if they won games. Will they give the same treatment to Andonovski?

4. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I would think that his personality will play into it. He seems to have excellent communication skills, which help in such a highly scrutinized position. Jill seemingly struggled, at times, to get her vision across to fans; I don't know how the players felt. Of course winning games always helps, but style of play will be a key factor.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll cut Coach Andonovski some slack; he's earned a lot of respect for his record in the NWSL.

jnielsen and Namdynamo repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    But they come with a different history, experience and success levels. Jill never won a thing and was known to under-perform with top talent. She was judged closely, harshly for some reason.

jnielsen and Namdynamo repped this.
  7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when people laughed at FC Kansas City for hiring some indoor soccer coach named Vlatko Andonovski in 2013

8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 jackdoggy, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Would someone please explain to me who this Dude is??
    Joker.jpg

(0:40) Some might ask after 4 World Championships whats next? ......................
    and as I've said before on many occasions, more and more Countries around the World are now investing in Women's Programs.
    CORRECT RESPONSE - - Frickin winning a 5th World Championship.

Mills and JanBalk repped this.
  9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to treat him as the same as I did with Jill Ellis, always critical but giving him a chance to showcase himself and prove something is working. The olympics will be the biggest test, I expect to give him hell if the USWNT either don't win the gold medal or don't even medal, the latter being the real concern.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was because people on here automatically judged her for not being an "outsider", she was someone who was friends with April and all these other people that nobody on here really liked or thought progressed the game. Overall what I truly think or at least hope there isn't some weird gender bias on here. The other thing as well is that she had top level talent at UCLA for several years and never once won a championship with them. Then Amanda Cromwell steps in her first year and wins a championship in 2013 with players Jill Ellis was coaching.

Also who can forget that disastrous under-20 WWC that I think Jill Ellis was managing where they didn't get past the quarter-finals with amazing talent.

She had a wonky reputation before getting the gig and even after winning the 2015 WWC, she still had to prove herself with another WWC 19 win. I think the latter is the one where people really had to shut up and give the woman her dues because that WWC 19 was much more challenging and lots of people, including myself, didn't think the women were going to beat France and then beat England.

Anyway, I'll give the new manager the benefit of the doubt until the Olympics when he needs to produce something.

jnielsen, blissett, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So it is official now? USWNT fans are worse than Yankee or Cowboy fans?

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lauren (Cheney) Holiday tweeted highly complimentary comments on Andonovski

It's a bit curious who Holiday leaves out from mentioning here, isn't it? Jill Ellis coached her both in college (at UCLA) AND for the national team, right?

BigJbaz, jackdoggy, MRAD12 and 3 others repped this.
  13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett, Mills and Namdynamo repped this.
  14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be interesting to see how Vlatko manages the big, aging stars: Lloyd, Rapinoe, and Sauerbrunn. My guess is they'll all go to the Olympics -- especially since Morgan will be a new mother and questionable to return for the OG.

So, who plays center forward in Morgan's absence? Press, McDonald, Lloyd? Probably Press with Lloyd as a sub. But I'd give McDonald a long look before dismissing her. She has a lot of good qualities.

I won't be surprised to see Sauerbrunn phased out at CB in favor of Dahlkemper and Davidson, but kept as a reserve to pair with Dahlkemper in case Davidson has to play right back if O'Hara is injured, as she so often is.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Vlatko will be awesome!

Mills and jackdoggy repped this.
  16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my book, Lauren Holidays' endorsement is equivalent to 367 Electoral Votes.

kolabear repped this.
  17. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 jackdoggy, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    I'm extremely confident and optimistic we will win Gold in Tokyo. For me it comes down to three words.....Never Been Done. Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull !!! I know a group of incredible, amazing, gifted, unbelievable, remarkable, fantastic, astonishing, awesome, check that totally and completely awesome, talented, TWO TIME REIGNING WOMEN'S WORLD CUP CHAMPION American Women who will welcome and eventually conquer the challenge next summer.

Of course, the icing on the cake would be if a high profile media type (like Alexi Lalas) would predict they can't do it. BTW - - - we are still waiting on the Wedding Dress.
    Times .jpg

McSkillz repped this.
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I told you guys on other thread a few weeks ago that Vlatko is LOVED by his players and I was slammed for it by poster(s) here. I've heard this a long time ago from people.

Now as you see by tweets coming out and articles written that I was right.

Make no mistake, the players pushed this hire through.

Namdynamo, kolabear and Mills repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Does anyone know how this affects the leadership of the U20's and under teams in the near term?

jnielsen repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks like a good hire, to me. With that said ...

I think the players certainly had a voice in this. Remember, however, that one of the complaints some posted about the USWNT in the past was that the players had too much of a voice. If the players have the same amount of voice (or more) under Vlatko, are we going to hear the same complaints?

It raises an interesting question about the difference between club and country coaching. At the club level, when the club drafts, trades away, or acquires players, the players can't do much about it (except for a very few who can decide to go to Europe if they don't like a transaction). With a national team, there's a big pool of potential players who are there even if not rostered for a particular camp or game, so the coach is having to do a lot more picking and choosing. This creates a lot more opportunities for a coach to get sideways with players. In the past, that's happened most often when a coach was looking to bring in new players and to phase out veterans. See Caitlin Murray, The National Team (Abrams Press 2019). It will be interesting to see how Vlatko fares in this regard.

21. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    This is where personality and player management comes into play.
    There are many national team coaches who have botched the handling of their veteran players and others who handle it masterfully.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't even have to add the qualifier of "I think" to that first sentence. Markgraf readily admitted in the press conference that she talked to present and past players of coaches who were on her list (in addition to talking to other coaches who had interactions with those on her list). And at least in the way she talked about it, I think it was a good and important part of the process. Players' voices should be heard and their opinion should be considered, but they shouldn't have control over the hiring and firing process. How much sway/control players have had in the process (especially the firing) in the past is I think where the line needs to be drawn.

With all that said, for those who want to hear a bit more about why Vlatko was hired, apparently he outshone his competitor in his in-person interview, especially with his detailed preparation: https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/10/29/vlatko-andonovski-prepared-uswnt-head-coach-nwsl-analysis/

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Dawn Scott is staying as is Graeme Abel:

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found a bit on his contract and need to modify a previous statement I made: his contract runs through the 2023 WWC. So, unless the team is an absolute sh*t-show in the Olympics in Greg Ryan-style, I think he'll be around for this whole cycle.

Also a thought: moving to Chicago was reported as a requirement for this job. Andonovski has a wife and three children who all reside Kansas City (they didn't move to Seattle). I wonder if they'll continue to stay in Kansas City while he spends most of his time in Chicago or if he negotiated to still live in KC. His American ties are obviously in the area having played for the Kansas City Comets before starting to coach there.

jackdoggy and Mills repped this.
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...surprised nobody got in before me. but let me be the first.

fire vlatko!!!

what’s he done? i don’t know, i’ll find something....

...em...no mace on the first roster!!

McSkillz, kolabear and MRAD12 repped this.