The Official Victor Bernárdez thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you access the site via the community link, you don't get the 10% discount. And there were 33 balls before I donated! But I did get an email back from them that they'd gotten the donation, so I guess it will work its way through the system.

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Got a couple, tried to get some friends to get some too.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I followed the link from the community page, the 10% discount dialog box popped up on my Mac.
    There is a little note on it that says limited to 50 coupons. Obviously those 50 haven't been used up yet....

4. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Just bought a couple too. Got the 10% discount. Hope it went to the correct place. Got the receipt from OneWorld but no acknowledgement that the ball went to Victor's campaign.

5. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    #555 Alie, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Hey everyone! I'm Alie, the Community & Campaigns Manager at One World Play Project. Big thanks to all of you who have supported the San Jose Earthquakes and Victor Bernardez's campaign with One World Play Project to build peace in the San Pedro Sula community of Honduras through soccer. Because of your generosity, we are close to meeting our goal of 75 balls!

For those of you who have already donated a ball--thank you! We have received your orders and they should appear in the ball count shortly. If you missed the discount, please let me know and we can help you out :)

For those of you who still want to support this important campaign, we're offering 10% off (use EARTHQUAKES at check-out) until Monday, and the campaign will run through the month of September.

Watch this short video of Victor speaking about the importance of bringing play and soccer to San Pedro Sula. The ultra-durable One World Futbol can bring lasting play to kids who really need it, let's brighten the lives of children living in this embattled community.

We will be selecting a winner out of all of the purchasers to win a One World Futbol signed by Victor!

Thanks for supporting this great cause and we hope you'll spread the word to other Earthquakes fans who might want to join you!

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks, Alie, just donated a couple. Viva Muma y los niños de Honduras.

7. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks so much!

8. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Hey there, if you send me your order number I'll confirm that your purchase went to Victor's campaign.

9. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks so much for donating! Keep on spreading the word to help us reach our goal!

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks for donating to the campaign!
    thanks for donating to the campaign!

11. Alie

Alie New Member

paulista
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    THANK YOU to everyone who donated to the Soccer Balls for San Pedro Sula, Honduras campaign! We surpassed our original goal of 50 One World Futbols for the community of San Pedro Sula, and the balls are on their way now to make hundreds of children very happy!

While this campaign is now closed, we have several other campaigns that are providing play through the One World Futbol to disadvantaged communities all around the world. Check them out!

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As noted in the postgame thread, Muma will be at a grocery in Redwood City on Sunday afternoon (today!) https://www.facebook.com/events/1145188702281602/

For those who don't do Facebook, here's what it says:
    • Today at 13:00–14:30
      150 Charter St, Redwood City, CA 94063-2802, United States
    • Everyone loves Big Vic! The powerful Quakes defender is a fan favorite and now you can meet him! 7Up presents an opportunity to say hello to Muma at Mi Ranco Supermarket on Charter St. in Redwood City!
    P.S. It's Mi Rancho and a good source for all those hard-to-find ingredients from Mexico.

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, for my very "hard-to-find" authentic Mexican dishes! :)

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw the highlight! Victor had a beautiful game saving tackle against the Timbers!

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're here! Where is everyone?

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Bernardez retires, I hope he can stay involved with the Earthquakes. Besides Wondo, he's the other player on the team whose passion for the team is very obvious.

He played a monster game last night, but I also remember him from several years ago at Stanford Stadium. When he scored against the Galaxy, he thumped the Earthquakes crest on his jersey and I knew that he's one of us...

JazzyJ, TyffaneeSue and tenfourteen repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that we keep Muma on as a scout or in some other capacity. But it's a good thing that he's retiring.

Looks like Imperiale is gone too, which is fine. The time to use him was two years ago.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sad. I loved having Bernardez on our team

Druid Squirrel and Quakes05 repped this.
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone retires eventually. It's important to know when a player has passed his use by date. We got a handful of good games out of Victor at the end of his career. That has to be enough, because he's done.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

23. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he makes a appearance at Avaya next season so we can give him the send off/good bye/farewell he deserves.....

sacrxy and mjlee22 repped this.
  24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kind of a bummer way for Bernardez to very possibly end his career. You'd like to announce your plans for retirement before you actually stop playing, but contract options mean inherent risk in that and from the Quakes' perspective, it was definitely time. He put in some good performances in 2017, but it was clear that he had serious limitations either in physical ability or number of useful minutes available.

I greatly admire how he played. At his peak, he was one of, if not the most intelligent defender in the league. Very few others anticipated plays as well as he did, and even fewer did it as consistently. I'd love for him to find something else he can do in the Quakes organization. Hopefully there are some openings with the youth teams and even more hopefully the things he knew how to do can be taught to upcoming talent.

QuakeAttack and bsman repped this.