The Official Valeri 'Vako' Qazaishvili Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jun 22, 2017.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of complaining, my husband says he is going to refer to Vako as "Quasimodo"
    He has a nickname for Urena that is not very nice either...

Beerking, DotMPP and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That one is too easy :-(

Reminds me of the time when I was at an A's game and a guy named "J.J. Putz" started warming up in the bullpen. The heckler behind me started in, "Putz, eh, that's too easy!" When you don't even have to change the name for it to be an insult, the guy's in for a long career.

mjlee22 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm on my way out and don't have time to view through the thread...

Question: Will Vako play tonight?

4. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not until after July 11th I believe

falvo repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    His spot on the game
    Day roster will be vakont.

DotMPP repped this.
  6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my maiden name was Oda, and I was so glad when I got married that my last name was now Lee. Although my brother-in-law always told me I was a fake Lee. Anyhow, when I got divorced I decided no way I was going back to Oda (which I would get derided as Odor)

7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De odor San

8. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I didn't read the other 3 pages of this thread, but all I want to know is... which wing will Kinnear play him on?

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm predicting that he will play forward with Wondo, based on Jesse's comments. But Dom gonna Dom, so we'll see...

Although he scored a goal tonight, Urena was, certainly in the 1st half, awful, and that seems to be the most obvious place to upgrade the offense. Hoesen is doing well playing outside (he has decent speed and good 1v1 ability), and Hyka is fine too. Then there is TT and Salinas for depth.

BTW I notice that Simon wasn't on the bench or on the injury report tonight. Just didn't make the 18? Actually they didn't even have 18 I don't think. Wow, this is getting "Innocentonian".

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Simon probably will go back to England. Not sure which club will give him $500k from now until January though. Maybe there is a John Doyle equivalent across the pond?

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako's mojo is real you guys. Showed up on screen, says Hi. We popped in 2 goals and ran RSL off the field.

I don't know about you folks, but I'm sold! (As if I got any other choices at this point...le sigh)

DotMPP repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean to say he is already pushing everyone else without even starting a game? If that is the case, that would be a coaches dream to have competition and depth at every position. I think that is what this club needs more of. If the club consistently plays as they did against RSL last night, they could end up having quite a successful season.

13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! You of all people on this board should not do that!! :p:rolleyes:

Beerking repped this.
  14. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the off season Simon had work done on his knee....from what I was told his knee seems fine, then he plays and it starts to swell up again.....highest paid player on the team injured and on the bench....:mad:

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last night's game I don't see Dom abandoning his Ceren/Godoy pairing, so something has got to give. I think we will end up playing more of 4-4-1-1, with Vako probably underneath Wondo, though personally I would start Urena over him. Our attack is just more varied and dynamic with Marco on the field. I know some will rag on his finishing so far, but, at least he is creating chances and keeping the defense on the back foot. I don't recall any telling play, or moment, from Wondo last night. He was literally just in the way last night.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He wasn't listed on the injury report but I guess that was just an oversight or a game time thing.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wondo had like 30 passes against RSL, only about 3 not successful, 3 key passes, and a number of defensive plays. Urena had 0 key passes and 0 defensive plays.

As I said in a different thread Urena was particularly terrible with his decisions and passes in the first half. He is usually not that bad in that regard but wow, that was bad. Also it was like his 17th game, most of them at starting forward and he just scored his 2nd goal. Not good enough. He needs to make way for Vako.

DotMPP and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  18. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, I get that you think Urena had a bad first half, I don't agree with your assessment entirely. But can you answer a simple question? Who played better against RSL, Wondo or Urena? In one of the best Quakes performances I've seen (at least until the red card), Urena was one of the 4 players I thought had really solid games. And that's not just because of his goal.

I also don't think that second striker is the biggest upgrade the team needs. We need a fullback to play opposite Lima pretty badly. Sarkodi is a catastrophe, Cato isn't the answer, and Francis is too defensive and passive to make Dom's style work.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's a guy playing for his national team in the Confederations Cup who is on the Quakes' payroll but doesn't see the roster under the current coach. Out of sight, out of mind. You don't bother to dismiss his capabilities because you evidently forgot about him.

DotMPP and JazzyJ repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not sure how you can reconcile "bad first half" with "one of the 4 players I thought had really solid games". Wondo had, quietly, a good game and was unlucky not to at least get an assist on plays like this. He might have had a goal too if Urena didn't muff so many chances in the 1st half.

Urena has started most games at forward and just finally scored his second goal. He hadn't scored in what, 10-12 games? Yes, we can use an upgrade at 2nd forward. I'm OK with Cato at outside back right now - he allows the team to morph into a de facto 3-5-2 on the right - he pushes up, Hyka moves central. But Colvey should also get a chance again at left back when he returns from Confederations Cup.

21. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Wasn't that Lennys' issue also?

22. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first home game if Veko starts, when the PA announcer introduces the starting lineup, going to be interesting to hear how the home crowd pronounce his last name......

23. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Robert Jonas tweeted that Jesse said Veko "is joining us next week". Hopefully time to acclimate to SJ and to get to know his new team and teammates. Maybe we will see him play some minutes in the friendly against Frankfurt on the 14th and a MLS debut on the Wednesday the 19th at NYRB.

Robert Jonas‏ @robertjonas 35m35 minutes ago
    #Quakes74 GM Jesse Fioranelli revealed that new DP midfielder Valeri “Vako” Qazaishvili is “joining us next week.”

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fioranelli said Vako's arrival had nothing to do with Dominic's firing. I'm not so sure if I believe that. He may not have been the direct reason but it could have contributed to it. I doubt Dom wanted or cared to sign him especially since he knew/knows nothing about him.

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kinnear wasn't going to stay on as coach after the end of the year regardless, so no, Vako's signing probably had no direct effect on when Kinnear was fired. Kinnear's firing seems to have arisen simply because he was tired of watching the team regress with absolutely no signs of improvement (the RSL win being an unexpected outlier against the worst team defensive team in the league).