The Official Valeri 'Vako' Qazaishvili Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jun 22, 2017.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    On the + side, you'd think with Almeyda's player and coaching pedigree would be the best possible case for influencing Godoy. And a common first language may help, too. Hopefully he can bring out Good Godoy and keep him out.

MtnGardener repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vako should have capitalized on one of his two chances in front of the goal last night. This is why he is making a base salary of $1,325,004.00!

3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know $1.3M is chump change in MLS nowadays, right? He's basically a high-end TAM player, he's not a true DP. And you know a team is shit when its fans think a guy being paid $1.3M is supposed to be a savior LOL.

And what would this goal matter anyway? You know they scored FOUR goals right? Vako didn't lose the game, the defense and USL-has-been goalkeeper lost the game.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #854 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Sadly for as cheap as the Quakes are and have been, it’s a lot of money. If a DP contract takes up $400k of only a $3.845 million salary cap, there isn’t much left. Between him and Wondo, they are taking up much of the salary cap. Then you have $500k that you are paying Florian , there really isn’t much money left to sign anyone else. This is why the DP’s must perform. I do the math and when taking away their salaries, I see only $2.5 million divided among 25 players.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You forgot the extra 25k-plus-4 dollars ("$1,325,004.00!") Every dollar counts. :)

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  6. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still don't understand...It does not matter that $1.3M is a lot of money for the Quakes, it is NOT A LOT OF MONEY to even remotely begin to compete in MLS.

Quakes could have dumped Wondo and got a real DP striker for 4x the price of Wondo, but will still count the same on the salary cap as Wondo. Did they try that? Nope. And the time to try that was not this year, it was LAST YEAR.

So stop complaining about Vako, he's not a true DP. He's not a difference maker. He's the Luciano Acosta, Sebastian Blanco, Taider. We need to find the Wayne Rooney, the Valeri, or the Piatti and combine them with Vako to make this team and Vako play up to his full capabilities.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The Quakes are using TAM on Flo so his hit to the salary cap is minimal (probably 150k).

It is bad that he’s sucking up our TAM and sitting on the bench though.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Regardless of all the Vako love, there was no reason on why he should not have scored at least one of those goals. You only get so many chances a game and at that point, he could have put the Quakes up 2-0 at the half. We may have lost anyway but when a goal scorer or your star player doesn’t score or produce, you won’t even have a chance of winning. That’s why he was signed.

What happenes the next time he doesn’t score from a yard out? The excuses not only for him but the entire team are getting old and we need to win now!

9. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could say that all the time about our strikers too, but he's not our striker. Our striker is on the bench.

And what "all the Vako love", it's just me and Skillachi up in here yo!

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako has had a good couple weeks and is starting to show he can play under Almeyda's system...

I think it'd be grand if he told the media he no longer wants to be called Vako. It would be fun to hear the broadcasters having to try to say "Qazaishvili".

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vako scored a few beauties last night! Sooner or later, he will justify his salary of $1,325,004.00!

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those last four dollars are the hardest to justify. :)

DotMPP repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #864 falvo, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    I think he should give $325k to Wondo who deserves it more than anyone….

Vako brace sends surging Quakes into playoff zone

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was not on a DP salary I would be ecstatic to have him on our roster. As a DP.........at least hes getting better. Good player? yes. Talented? yes. Game breaker? no. I hope he can become one though. I can see it........he just needs to harness it

16. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To be "on a DP salary" you only need to be making approx 500K or more so the Quakes do have a few. However using the Garber bucks they have most of those players are "bought down" to not count as a DP salary.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Interesting, I never thought of it that way.
    The players on our roster that could technically be DPs (if no TAM was used). I'm ignoring transfer fees here because I don't know what they are.

Valeri "Vako" Qazaishvili 1,604,042.00
    Chris Wondolowski 800,000.00
    Florian Jungwirth 616,675.00
    Guram Kashia 590,000.00
    Cristian Espinoza 550,000.00
    Danny Hoesen 549,667.00

EDIT: anyone know how to format text with whitespace in BS? BS editor removes repeated white space which makes stuff like the above hard to read. Is there any tables are <pre> support?

18. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he becomes the game breaker that you want, then his price tag will jump by 3x. I don't think the FO would be ready for that.

Skillachii repped this.
  19. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    Quakes are starting to become a good team, and Vako on a good team is a dangerous prospect.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup.......I think im officially on board. I was never "off" the train, but i was never totally on. I think Im ready to put both feet on the Vako train now, I have faith, hes finally coming good.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using “code” in the brackets sort of works
    Code:
     Fixed-width        font,         preserves      spaces 
    Code:
    Valeri "Vako" Qazaishvili        1,604,042.00
    Chris Wondolowski          800,000.00

Scott Rohde repped this.
  22. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If he keeps passing I think he'll be even more dangerous in the middle with Espinoza and fierro opening up space with their pace outside. Then if Vako can just beat one guy on a dribble, which he does pretty often, it will be 4v4 all day.

Sactown Soccer and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Vako can take on 1 guy without a problem. Two guys a lot of times. 3 guys is when he nearly always gets stopped. Unfortunately by the time he gets in the box he usually has attracted 3 guys.

He doesn’t use speed to get by people. He uses his body position and great footwork. He seems to always know where the ball is at his feet. I’ve seen him use his foot to blindly reach behind him and drag the ball back to where he wants it while at the same time holding a guy off with his upper body.

I’m not sure there’s anyone else in the league that plays like that.

24. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a great little clip of video in this week's MLS Matchday Central where you can see Wondo and Vako celebrating the Clasico win together and joking around. Vako looking happy is great.

Maybe language barrier has a bit to do with it, but I'd love to get some interviews from Vako and hear his side of the story for his Quakes adventure thus far. It's obviously been rocky and taken time for things to go well. Also, now that he is playing great, is also on his way out, though? Fierro + Rios creates questions for me.

At this point I'd love to see Vako stay.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think most of us forget that Vako has only been here 2 years. In that time he has played for five different head coaches.

Kinnear>Leitch>Stahre>Ralston>Almeyda

Multiple language barriers aside, that is brutal for any player’s development.

Sactown Soccer and hc897 repped this.