The Official Valeri 'Vako' Qazaishvili Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Jun 22, 2017.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like we added some much needed grit, physical presence and attacking verve in the final third. I don't care where he plays, he'll help us.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The secondary transfer window has to open, which is July 10 I think,

3. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    My answer is "Terrific!" But you are right we will probably not find out. Anybody else wondering why Simon should see the field?

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he is worth 3 million euros, down from 3.5. And since we are getting him for half-season, he is probably costing the Quakes $1M.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jumplist/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/156115
    When you look at this record, it is not very impressive. Maybe I am not interpreting this correctly, but it seems he has been riding the bench in Poland and the Netherlands?

Btw, this is not apropos, but since I went to the trouble of looking it up cuz I thought he was from Russian leagues... NYTimes had an interesting article on Leonid Slutsky, the Russian manager taking over newly-relegated Hull. In it, he makes an interesting statement about the Russian leagues:

When the technical director of a Premier League club revealed he was searching for a player to fill a particular position, Slutsky immediately remembered a former charge from his long, impressive career in Russia’s top league. The player fit the bill perfectly and, in Slutsky’s mind, would be a definite upgrade. An open, gregarious sort, he advised his new friend that the player might be worth considering.​

“He said he was aware of him,” Slutsky said. “But that it was too much of a risk to bring someone direct from Russia. It is not a league they scout. They say the standard in the league is too different, so they find it too hard to judge the level of quality.”

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  5. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks like the kind of signing that makes or breaks Kinnear's tenure in SJ. He's Jesse's first major signing so he has to play. Problem is to make Vako work you need adjust how the team plays and lines up to utilize all of its best pieces. If Vako takes either of Urena's, TT's, or Hyka's spots this team will be making little progress.

Also why is Dawkin's still hogging a DP spot?

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Didn't we, under Dom, play 4-4-2 diamond in 2005 and win a Supporters' Shield with it? Rico as the DM and DeRo at the point? I want to think he kept that during the first few successful years in Houston (yes, the ones stolen from us). So, he's done it before, unless I'm remembering that year incorrectly.

Sactown Soccer and lazlo325 repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wish it could be 2005 again, except next time around our team would stay. :cry:

bpc and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    #34 Beerking, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Where would the international slot come from for Juric?

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, absolutely we played a diamond, and Dom continued to play a diamond 4-4-2 until he lost both DeRo and Holden. Then he reverted to two "holding mids." I think partly, Dom fears that if he goes diamond, MLS will sell his #10.

Notice how the evil, cheating, league-favored, smog-breathing, water-stealing, galactopustules almost never lose a player to overseas leagues, but Dom has lost his #10 twice.

And as @ant0n says above, this is make or break time for Dom. If he lines Vako up at wide mid, or if he plays Vako in place of Ureña, and doesn't get results immediately, then I think Dom's in trouble. The clear answer here is that Vako plays a #10 role and we change our strategy. It's not like Dom can argue that he doesn't have someone good enough to play the #10 spot, he does. (TT also, but of course, he's too young.) If Dom continues with his two "holding mids" I think that we will continue to struggle and then Dom's days are numbered.

Welcome Vako!! Hope you're great and like it here, and that your arrival is a harbinger of Dom getting the sack!!

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Dom!!

- Mark

nihon2000 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was twelve years ago, and that 2005 teams was probably technically the best team he ever coached. He had more success upon moving to Houston, but those teams weren't as good as the 2005 team was. He's never even come close to reproducing a team at that level, and things have only gotten worse over time.

If he was capable of building a team like that one, he would have done it already with Doyle.

TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to a rep yesterday and he said Vako would officially be available July 11th, and could see some time in the friendly against Eintracht Frankfurt on the 14th. First league game would be July 19th.

markmcf8 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hopefully his performance will be e-vako-tive of great Quakes players of the past.

bsman and Earthshaker repped this.
  16. DeRo4Life

DeRo4Life Red Card

May 12, 2017
    You can't base a guy's worth as a player on a Wikipedia page lol

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vako had a good stay at Vitesse i.e., 6+ years; but was on loan the past year. Do we know if the Quakes signed Vako on a free transfer or did MLS have to pay a transfer fee?

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we get him after nineteen (19) games are in the books! Yeah! We'll be well and truly dead by then, but what the heck?!

Are we going to get any more players in this window? Does it matter? How about we get a new coaching staff?!

Ugh!

Go Quakes!!
    Fire Dom!!

- Mark

bsman repped this.
  19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This was our conversation this morning on the way to camp (son's, not mine). He pays way more attention to other leagues than I do, and he hadn't heard of him either. He keeps talking about Balotelli but for so many reasons, we know that's not happening.

Who knows, maybe the Quakes will pick up dozens of new Georgian expat STH?

Beerking repped this.
  20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    And you can't base a players worth on our front office's say-so. o_O

21. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old story! Side note: this morning I received an email about 2018 STH renewal for next season. LOL.

tenfourteen, davez and Beerking repped this.
  22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Balotelli? Isn't he the head case that gets carded all the time for violent conduct?

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm aware of him being sent off in 2012 for violent conduct, he was sent off three times this season for Nice, once for talking to the ref, once for a second booking, and once for a tackle that should have been a foul or caution.

Beerking repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Falvo would know better than either of us, he's the guru of all things Italian soccer. :)

bsman repped this.
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That Balotelli is volatile is beyond doubt, but he's matured in the past few years.

Beerking repped this.