The Official Tom Fox thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 31, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I said in the other thread that Kinnear should have been fired along with Doyle. The two were one in the same and if one leaves, the other will soon follow and we have seen it.

don gagliardi repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Good point about the official start date. I thought he was already on board.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your theory is incoherent: Kinnear was fired the morning after he engineered a win, not a tie. If the grand plan was months in the making, the victory part was assuredly not part of it. Nor was replacing a coach with a guy who's been in the building all along.

If this was all part of some grand plan, it's akin to a bunch of bank robbers picking the hour of the police convention in the bank foyer to pull their heist.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In terms of performances, yes, Kinnear should have been fired when Doyle was fired. As it turns out, I think this was a more practical, and ultimately, a better end. The team needed its new GM prior to a new coach being hired. Yes, Leitch is the guy right now, and that's not likely to be the case, but as I've postulated earlier, I think Covelo is the guy. What would have happened if Doyle and Kinnear were both fired? Maybe Ralston takes over as head coach? Do you think that would have made any real difference in terms of the results this year?

I didn't like that they kept Kinnear after Doyle from a certain perspective, but ultimately, it was the right choice. They would have floundered under whomever they got to coach the team, anyway, and that person would have also been fired. This was the easiest transition.

Honestly, I can't help but feel overwhelmingly positive now. There are a lot of things that still need to be corrected, but with a GM who seems to actually want to achieve something, and he going ahead with those plans and freeing himself from the club's past, it's a great feeling.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have anything to say to Quakes fans?

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There's no audio is there? I thought we were going to actually hear him talk. He's the Jared Kushner of soccer club presidents I guess. You wonder what his voice sounds like.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Has anyone ever actually talked to him? Maybe we have a phantom pres?!?

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phantom prez, phantom owner...
    Who’s running the store?
    ... that’s a rhetorical question...o_O

10. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Sure. I have spoken with him a few times. We spoke at length at the wine and dine a few weeks ago. And we spoke again at the final game against Minnesota (where I also met and spoke briefly with Manny Lagos).

Tom is still learning how MLS differs from other soccer leagues and other US sports.

He seems passionate about soccer but does not have the ebullience of Dave Kavel. At the wine and dine I teased him about his invisibility and he seemed a little nervous about that. My personal take was his preference to be quiet until he had enough understanding to be able to speak more authoritively.

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds a lot like Leitch??

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‘I loved it and would do it all again’: Tom Fox and the inside story of Aston Villa's decline and fall

Exclusive interview: Fox speaks out on deciding to sack Paul Lambert, replacing him with Tim Sherwood and the £55m spending spree which ultimately saw the club suffer relegation

But while MLS may be easier on the stress levels, it doesn’t necessarily provide the buzz of English football. It’s why Fox still keeps track on Villa’s progress and why he would jump at a similar opportunity in the Premier League if one came along.

“People ask me what you think of the Villa experience? I love it and I’d do it again,” he added.​

Doesn't seem like he really wants to be here...

14. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When he goes, he should take Skylo Unge with him.

DotMPP repped this.
  15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explains a lot. Sigh.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He feels like kind of a phantom as is. Kaval's Korner has been replaced by...Fox's Trot?

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we will get a German GM soon.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow, not good. That's not what I want to hear - "would jump at a similar opportunity..." to go back to Premier League. As Jesse says about the players - we want players who really want to be here.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Tom Fox quote; Thanksgiving edition:

Fine, I'll sit at the kids table, but as soon as a spot at the Adult table opens up, I'm taking it!

xbhaskarx, TyffaneeSue and JazzyJ repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is the opposite of what Roy Moore says.

DotMPP and xbhaskarx repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Twice being removed from the Alabama Supreme Court for refusing to follow controlling federal law ought to be of itself sufficiently disqualifying for the United State Senate.

why don't you take a seat.jpg

22. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry, with those comments Fox sounds like a clown...really surprised Jesse brought in somebody with apparently so little commitment....with his track record he sounds clueless and delusional. Hope we find somebody better soon.

sacrxy repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah it sure sounds like he doesn't respect MLS. Like we would all be OK with those comments cause we'd understand how great EPL and how minor league we are.

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thankfully, the role of team president at this juncture isn't exactly important. The stadium is built, so all that matters now is the team getting results, which Fox has (hopefully) nothing to do with. They could make a scarecrow the team president and I would not care. So long as Fioranelli is doing his job well, and the other operations staff are doing their jobs well, I'll be content.

25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hear you. He shouldn't have any impact on the soccer side, but he would be involved on the business side negotiating contracts which generate revenue.

How successful can he be in the Bay Area, especially Silicon Valley, if he's that incredibly tone deaf.

TyffaneeSue repped this.