The Official Thread of the Haitian National Teams II

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by aguimarães, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, the rule "clearly" (as clearly as regulations get, anyways) states, "having the relevant nationality", meaning that having one of conditions a-d must come along with being a citizen of the country for whom s/he wants to play.

...right? I'm not exactly sure how to read it. :confused:

2. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Ok, guys, what I said above is how the rule is understood all around the world. Here are some examples:

Jerrod Laventure - born in the US of Haitian parents. He does not have Haitian nationality. But, instead of playing for the US, he chose to play for his country of origine, Haiti. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrod_Laventure. Thus, he is no longer qualified to play for the US.

Jozy Altidor - born in the US of Haitian parents. He does not have Haitian nationality. Although he could represent his country of origine, he chose to play for his country of nationality, USA. Thus, he is no longer qualified to play for Haiti.

Here are some players who could have represented a different country:
    Dos Santos - Represents Mexico, but could have played for Brazil (Dad is Brazilian).
    Simon Ford - Represents Jamaica, but could have played for England (was born in England).
    Serdar Tasci - Represents Germany, but could have played for Turkey (mom & dad are turcs).
    Here is what is said about him: "Because of his Turkish descent and German birth right, he was eligible to play for either Germany or Turkey, but in October 2006 has decided to pursue a career for Germany." Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serdar_Tasci

I hope we're now all on the same wavelenght.

3. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    I think there is a difference is made by the constitution of each country. The constitution of Haïti says: "BY DESCENT: Child, at least one of whose parents is a native-born citizen of Haiti, regardless of the child’s country of birth. Child born abroad must be registered at the nearest Haitian consulate or embassy for the citizenship to be recognized."

So I still think the FIFA rules do not say which nationality you have. See this document de citizenship of each country is explained; http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/documents/IS-01.pdf

4. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010

As I told you my friend, 'nationality' is just 'one' of a group of conditions that can qualify somebody to play for another country. In fact, if you want to represent the country of one of your parents or grand-parents, you may do so regardless of your nationality.

In regard to Haiti, do notice that 'unless' the child is registered with a Haitian consulate/embassy, he is ineligible to the 'conditional' Haitian citizenship status he may enjoy until the age of 18. By the way, that's a little known citizenship path that almost no Haitian families use.

Notice Johnny Placide is French and he is over 18. Thus, he is not Haitian. However, he is still eligible to represent Haiti and his eligibilty is not based on his birth right (Born in France) or citizenship (He is French and NOT Haitian). His eligibility is based on the facts that his parents were born in Haiti.

So, nationality is certainly the primary condition that most people use to qualify to play for a country. But, it's not a requirement and it's not the only condition under which somebody may qualify to represent a country.

Many dutch players could have played for Surinam instead of Holland. The surinamese politicians are lying. If they were in Holland and UN establish the same rules to become a president/prime minister in Surinam, I am pretty sure they would they would be singing a totally diferent song to the people of Surinam.

Read my examples above.

5. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Haitian international , Regillio Nooitmeer signs with Finland Club, FC Haka.

Nooitmer is from Holland and has played in the past for Sparta Rotterdam, FC Dordrecht, Galway United and Drogheda in Ireland.

Has also played for Holland at U 17 level. 1 cap with Haiti senior team.

1m88, 82 kg. Right back or central defender.

http://www.fchaka.fi/edustusjoukkue

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Last I heard he had a heart problem, I hope he's been medically cleared to play.

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Former Haitian int. Jean-Fritzon Baptiste is trialling with the MLS New England Revolution. What can you guys tell me about him? Former clubs, etc.?

8. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I can tell you he's no former international...he played against Argentina

9. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Fritzson is from Aigle Noir of Haiti. He is not my type of player but i wish him good luck.

Should be 24, 25 years old now . Ex member of the Olympic team. He is short

but can jump high and is very good in the air, this his main quality. Not bad

technically either.

I hear he will also try out Leixoes in Portugal.

10. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    He is a second class player in my book. He has never impressed me. But, as said above, he is a typical Haitian player with some good skills. He is very good on 1-on-1. I wouldn't want to be the last defender to face him.

He doesn't seem to have the speed of a Noel or St-Preux and may not be as aggressive as those two, but he can cause trouble. He is a good dribbler!

He always seems physically fit, probably because he is not too big a guy.

However, he has everything to blossom into a great striker, specially with good midfielder like Shalrie feeding him good balls. Let see if the Rev can get that out of him.

Good luck to him.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ok, sorry about that. :rolleyes:

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Joseph Mishack...idk if I spelled it right...well he was on trial at Portland Timbers recently, and played in the friendly win over Boca Juniors.

13. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
  14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Friendlies ?

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I know of, but BIG news for the team, c/o CONCACAF: Jairo Rios has been replaced as head coach of Haiti's national team. The new guy, Edson Tavares Araujo, is a Brazilian that apparently got hired through a deal with Viva Rio, an NGO in Haiti. I wish him the best; and to Rios, thanks for sticking with the team in spite of the (warning: understatement ahead) difficult circumstances, but I hope that Tavares gets the team playing competent soccer again like we haven't seen since Luis Garcia (go ahead and criticize him for the 07 Gold Cup if you want, but that Caribbean-champion Haiti was IMHO the best team we've seen in the last 6 years).

16. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    yep! Haiti has a new brasilian coaching staff. The team will move to Rio, Brasil for camp by end of september.

17. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    haitian forward , Kervens Belfort Fils is in Portugal trying out Benfica Lisbon.

18. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    they were eliminated early in Caribbean Cup (no official matches then...)

seems unfavorable for WCQ 2014 seedings
    can they reach round of 12 teams ?

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...good news is that the new qualifying format (link --> Grant Wahl article, he explains the new format in the first paragraph) guarantees Haiti at least six games.

New format:

First round: home-and-away elimination between lowest 6-8 teams in CONCACAF, to leave 32 teams in the region (no way Haiti plays this round)

Second round: 8 groups of 4 (home-and-away round robin), top 2 in each group advance

Third round: 4 groups of 4, same deal as above

Fourth round: 2 groups of 4, group winners go straight to the World Cup

Fifth round: 2nd-place teams from the last groups play home-and-away. Winner goes straight to the World Cup, and the loser plays off against a South American team (assuming CONCACAF doesn't get 4 spots for the next World Cup)

----

Now, for Haiti, our seeding situation leaves it equally possible that we end up being the 2nd, or 3rd seed in our group for the first group stage.

According to the latest FIFA rankings, with only teams from our region, Haiti is in 17th place right now, which would have us end up in Pot 3. However, St. Vincent and the Grenadines is bound to crash after 3 straight losses; and of the teams below us, only Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Belize and Nicaragua have a realistic chance of getting enough points from official games to jump Haiti now.

Of course, this is all assuming that Haiti doesn't suffer an inexplicable drop from earlier results being devalued (sadly par-for-the-course with the FIFA rankings), but they still might just slip into Pot 2. Hopefully so, because a potential group with Haiti as the second seed, ex.

Costa Rica
    Haiti
    Cayman Islands
    St. Lucia

Looks a lot better than a group with Haiti as a third seed, ex.

Panama
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Haiti
    Bahamas

20. sanon74

sanon74 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not qualifying for the final stages of the Caribbean Cup is very disappointing for Haiti. This is not an excuse, but I think that going into the final game knowing that a one-goal defeat would be good enough to qualify (The Guyana vs St Vincent game having been played earlier) did not help the team. This created a negative mindset in an already inexperienced team, and Trinidad took full advantage. It's commonplace in major tournaments across the world for final group games to played simultaneously, so why this wasn't the case here I don't know.

Failing to qualify is a big blow to the national team because it means the loss of a potential eleven fixtures in the next seven months (Caribbean and Gold Cup), which is exactly what this young team needs. However, the arrangement of friendly against Qatar next week is a positive. Let's hope we can get enough ranking points to improve our World Cup groupings.

21. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What do you mean no official matches? Friendly matches are all counted in the FIFA ranking (though they are not worth so many points, it is still possible to move up). With the FIFA ranking, it is possible to rise artificially - pick teams who are above you in the ranking (but are obviously not better than you) and beat them.

22. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Haiti will move up to 11th in CONCACAF when the November rankings are released, according to this site: http://www.football-rankings.info/2010/11/fifa-ranking-november-2010-preview.html

As long as they play regular friendly matches, they can maintain this ranking.

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a good interview with Wilner Etienne, in which he spells out a lot of what's currently wrong with the NT setup. Especially his take on Haiti's elimination in Caribben Cup qualifying:

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning in Qatar, Haiti beat the hosts 1-0 in a practically empty stadium (...yeah, I can understand saving one's money for the Brazil-Argentina game yesterday :D ).

The winning goal came from a good link-up play early in the second half that ended with someone laying the ball off for Constant * (didn't get the last name) to rip it past the keeper from outside the box.

Of course, we were helped by Qatar's utter ineptitude in front of goal, but at least we went to the Middle East and got a good result instead of going to the Middle East to embarrass ourselves and the entire Caribbean **coughJamaicacough**.