The Official SuperLiga thread [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by eL-ShorTy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006
    Re: MLS-Mexican tourney

No shit, soccer is a business. Thanks for telling me what i already know. With the CCC you win the trophy for the region, and get invited to the Club World Cup. Those results pretty much render this Superliga unneccesary.

Being in preseason isnt an excuse for Pachucas loss, in my opinion, especially when they outplayed the Gals all game long. The just couldnt put any in the back of the net. Its that simple.

Im pretty sure Chivas and America were encouraged by the federation to participate in this tournament. Could you imagine the crowds that Puebla, Veracruz, Tecos, Santos would bring? It would look like just another regular season game in the MLS if those teams were called up.

2. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

If superliga is less than CCC, it must really be crap.

Pachuca did play their top players, except for Cacho, so props to the Gals for that.

Chivas, had a bunch of reserves, so props to chivas for getting the draw.

Stop stooping to MLSers level and using the preseason excuse, or any excuse for that matter.

Instead use the "you won a superliga game" " woopty frekin doo" your ruler of the world.

Win a sudamericana and libertadores, then ill be impressed.

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

You mean this thread PACHUCA -tuzos official thread. [R]? The one that has not had a post in it since July 18th.

The Superligs isn't fake but it is a pre-season tournament for the Mexican clubs and a straight up money grab. No way you can even come close to comparing it with Copa Libs.

4. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There is no need for a SuperLiga. When you already have CCC. The only way I would be interested in a SuperLiga is if teams from other confederations are invited. Two from SA, two from Europe, two from MLS and two from the Mexican League.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good point Shorty I don't see how a tournament that just has Mexican and MLS clubs is going to improve all of CONCACAF.

6. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see that.....(especially with my favorite MLS club's record against Vasco De Gama....) though I think the UEFA teams would pretty much tell us to go to hell.....either that or we would get to see the likes of 1860 Munich and Nottingham Forrest coming over to participate.....maybe that's not so bad....

7. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think UEFA teams would come. I mean Chelsea has play a bunch of friendlies in the US. I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in participating.

8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Yeah, I could see Euro and SA teams coming during their preseason, especially because of the marketing possibilities. Of course, this would prevent the home and away format suggested earlier, and would pretty much cement the tournament as a pre-season tournament played in the US.

The comparison to Sudamericana is interesting, considering its "lengthy" history and origin. Brazil didn't even send teams the first year. People seem to be ok with the Sudamericana now. It really depends with the quality of the opponents and the seriousness of the squads. Personally, I'm fine with the idea of Superliga and can live with its growing pains, but talk to me in five years, and I might have a different opinion.

9. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that eventually the Superliga will include more teams from each league, and home and away matches, and it will end up being the qualifier for Libertadores for the U.S. and Mexico.

While I understand that the Mexicans won't be happy about having to compete with MLS teams for the spots, the simple truth is that the MFL wants the revenue that comes from opening up the U.S. market more to Mexican teams. There is much money to be made from all the ex-pats in the States and as the MLS improves, the rivalries will improve and also make $$.

The sport is the world's most popular as everyone so often says, and it's gaining popularity in the NFL-obsessed USA more and more and more. World wide, it's a huge cash cow. You're going to see the elimination of the traditional "pre-season" in almost all leagues world wide as the opportunity to make more money off tourneys increases.

Soccer will eventually be a year round thing, with club teams competing year round in meaningful matches.

The quality of play will suffer due to stretching the talent too thin and fatigue, but this is the way it goes in the money making world.

10. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

conmebol table scraps???

playing against top south american teams is table scraps

you dont know sh1t

I read a lot of post after the CCC games most of them went like this

"we were in pre season "

no the FMF didnt see the potential they saw the money

mls didnt force the mexican teams to play but the FMF did.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. I think 2 issues are getting confused here. Yes, the CCC is the better trophy. As a DC fan, I'd have much rather won that than this, even without the ticket to the Club World Cup. But it's also true that the MLS teams were at a disadvantage in the CCC due to the time of year it was played. IMO, by the time they played the Mexican teams, the disadvantage was kinda small. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, those two separate issues are getting mixed together in this thread.

2. Not to be snarky, but one of the running US-Mexican bigsoccer battles over the last 6 weeks or so has been Copa America vs. the Gold Cup. I would just like to point out that your point about the CCC leading to the Club World Cup is analogous (not perfectly so, I admit) to the Gold Cup leading to the Confederations Cup, while the Copa America, for guest teams, does not.

I had low expectations for the matches, but the two last night were excellent...fast paced, and the teams were into it. Each game featured handbags. :D

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. The CCC should be the better tournament, but Warner is corrupt and incompetent, so the CCC isn't what it should be. I think the SuperLiga is 2/3 moneygrab, and 1/3 an attempt to do an end run around Warner.

I think it'd be great if the SL succeeds, and they change it to 3 teams from Mexico, 3 from the US, 1 from Central America, and 1 from the Caribbean.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My guess is that FMF will never give up their 3 spots in the Copa Libs and unless MLS changes it's schedule I can't see them ever playing in the Copa Libs.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Warner can kill the tourney anytime he wants by not sanctioning it therefore, I don't think it will ever surpass the CCC.

15. DCDireWolf

DCDireWolf Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Club:
    Deportivo Toluca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FMF will give it up, because in the coming years, maybe a decade from now, the MLS teams will be the more high profile teams in the CONCACAF, because the MLS teams will eventually be bankrolled like pro baseball, basketball and NFL teams in the states now. If the FMF wants access to that market for Mexican teams, it will be forced to trade Libs spots for the $ in the market.

This superliga is all foreshadowing.

16. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One thing to consider is perspective, look who stands to benefit from this tourney. Besides money there is absolutely nothing to gain for Mexican teams. Whereas MLS teams get to play against some of the best players in Mexico and South America (Copa America rosters were filled with MFL players). You get to play all the games at home. MLS plays the Mexican teams during MFLs pre-season (not that it's an excuse for losing), but it does hinder the quality of the competition. There is also the rumor that the teams might be playing for a libertadores spot in the future, which will again only benefit MLS. More than likely that spot would be taken away from the automatic 3 that the MFL already has. Now, why would a Mexican team want to risk giving that up, when most of us feel that the MFL has earned the s.american invites. By earned, I mean Mexico makes CONMEBOL a ton of money and definitely boosts the quality of the competition.

Having said all that, I personally am not opposed to this tourney, but I don't think most MFL fans will respect it because of the timing, the competitors, and the reward. I think the MLS would be better served if they could find a way to play their season at the same time that most other leagues go on. That would at least let both teams go into it in similar form.

17. Banner or Hulk?

Mar 11, 2006

The CCC serves a point, Superliga does not. Thats as simple as it can be laid out for you. The CCC winner is champion of the region, for however significant that is. Whats the winner of the Superliga? Nothing. It doesnt lead to any spot in the CCC nor Club World Cup, so whats the point of it but to be a worthless tourney of little to no prestige.

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wow that is a bold statement and if SUM still wants access to the Mexican teams, the Mexican national team and interliga they will never try and harm that partnership.

19. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    spazzos will always be spazzos

20. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    because Copa Sudamericana and the Libertadores are prestigious tournaments, while the Superliga is just a Mickey Mouse cup between Mexican club teams and AYSO...err, i mean MLS teams.

there is absolutely no point in it. just a big waste of time.

i dunno how you can even compare Superliga to those other 2 tournaments. just goes to show how much of an idiot you are.

21. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Are the insults that necessary? The ever constant pissing match has gotten old, IMO. I used go read their boards to get an insight but all you get is more hate. We can't discuss anything more.

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Too late for that Dan all that ended right after the WC game in 2002.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The CCC should be the better tournament, but Warner is corrupt and incompetent, so the CCC isn't what it should be. I think the SuperLiga is 2/3 moneygrab, and 1/3 an attempt to do an end run around Warner.

24. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

not really, then why not bring CR and Hondo teams in?

because who cares about them here in the US and will buy a ticket?

Its all about Mexicans in the US, roar!

25. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Of course it is Chiqui over on the Dallas board they are saying the superliga tickets are not part of the season ticket package. In fact they were double the price of regular season tickets. Why would they do this because they know that the Chivas fans will come out and buy them. That is why the crowd was something like 90% Chivas fans and only 10% Dallas fans.