The Official SuperLiga thread [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by eL-ShorTy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: MLS-Mexican tourney

Hopefully this wont happen...its like MFL trying to do some kind of tourny with the gay central american leagues...the only benefit is prolly money, which now runs soccer pretty much. i would see it as a set back for mexican soccer, i c mexican teams doing pre-season games in europe where they can be challenged not in the US where its a bunch of BS soccer.

3. mexicano

mexicano New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Templológico

damn it, i gotta get sky really soon!:mad: i dont like this crapy tournament.:mad: This would just risk players getting injuries and may ruin the season for a Mexican team

4. esesam

esesam Member

Dec 15, 2005
    IL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara

they want to make this tourney for the yanks so they can get in to the libertadores from what ive heard

5. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM

That is true, but I also beleive that they are planting the seeds for a future true premier league that will include both american and Mexican teams. With the infrastructure and television audience to back it up, it could be very successful, especially if it can attract top level talent from around the world.

6. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I like the idea...MLS plays a different brand of soccer (even though boring) may help to improve the different Mexican sides. Personally, I like almost all forms of competition and wouldn't it be funny to see Guadalajara vs Chivas USA? Besides, playing friendlies against a European club's subs won't do that much to improve the ML. It would be nice if the Mexican clubs could get into Euro tourneys but I don't think that will ever happen.

7. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

What do mean by premier? Do you mean the US and Mexcio or do you mean the world?

8. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM

I mean US and Mexico. Teams in LA, NY, Chicago, Houston, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Mexico City, etc. Big cities, big money, big players.

9. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Home league, Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, CCC. Too many tournaments if you ask me. Thats not counting Copa Oro, Conf. Cup, Copa America and all those friendlies. Concacaf will probably want 1 spot for the rest of concacaf teams to go to the Libertadores. Which is bull.

10. panda loca 87

panda loca 87 New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    california
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i hope this whole turney dosent come to be true. i think its good how we have it. they can make there own tourney without us. they jsut want in on libertadores where they would get murdered.

11. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

stupid idea.

12. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I like the idea. ******** it! More futbol! :D I just don't see it for CL. There is no way in hell FMF is going to let go of the CL spot.

13. smartbomb

smartbomb Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Gee, I wonder whose idea this was. A directivo should care about rising the national soccer's level, not about the money :)

14. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil

this cup may be better if the winner and the runners-up get a direct spot in the round of 16 of libertadores.

15. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Member+

Aug 29, 2005
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

^^No way, direct pass to round of 16 sort of kills the prestige of the tournament. I say nay.

16. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil

this is like the first round is a local concacaf part of tournament.

17. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005

I might like the idea if Mexico keeps it's three tickets, and the MLS manages to convince Conmebol to grant an extra ticket for this tourney, this way we could have 4 teams in la Libertadores. If this idea puts in danger any of the three Mexican tickets to la Libertadores then is bull and the MFL should reject it.

18. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

yea all the MLS wants to do is get a spot in the copa libertadores

19. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Member+

Aug 29, 2005
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

If you want to use the local concacaf tournament as a sort of qualification for the CL, by all means go right on ahead. But instead of going directly into round of 16, I firmly believe that they should go into as they would if already be doing, Group Stages.

This is how Interliga works. A small tournament to decide who represents Mex in CL. This is what the Local Tournament turn into and what meaning would it have. Oh yes, won the local tournament and advancement to CL group stages. Would you really like to see the Concacaf tournament as a stepping stone to the CL trophy.

I say nay.

20. Chivin

Chivin Member

Aug 4, 2006
    LA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

This is the third year I've heard this, and trust me, is not going to happen. The FMF has said no twice already, and I don't think the will change their minds, I don't see a business for mexican teams, because while the stadiums in the USA are going to be filledin a Galaxy-Chivas, or Houston-America, do you think someone in Mexico would go and see them in the Azteca or Jalisco?
    then, you have players that have to be traveling with Visas and work permits, that the clubs would have to pay, injuries, cost of hotels, etc.

21. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil

all is tv deals, if tv want to put money on that, will be happen....

22. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

It's going to happen eventually. Shit, we've already got one player over there hoping he has a ticket to Europe.

The possible cash cow is like the proverbial carrot on a stick. It will be done soon. The TV money will be there, like sidis pointed out.

I don't really like it, because the MLS has nothing to bring to the table. We'll be playing shit teams for a while, before they actually start to improve (if that ever happens).

There's nothing in it for the MFL but hope that the MLS turns into a good league.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Well. MLS is probably bringing $$$ to get into the CL table. I do think MLS game level has improved, IMHO, since I started following MLS back in 98. The issue with me is I am not sure why do it through a slot intended for FMF, if that's what they want to do.

* Money --The Mighty Mighty Dollar kind.
    * Continued exposure to US Market, Mexican and non-Mexican consumers, beyond the regular televised FMF games.

24. eL-ShorTy

eL-ShorTy Member

Sep 18, 2005
    San Antonio
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I don't want it to happen, but i'm sure it will happen soon. FMF can't turn down money. Aslong as only 1 spot out of the 3 is jeopardize.

25. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

this idea blows.

Like they stated... too many tournaments

Domestic League [Feb - May; Aug - Dec],
    Copa Libertadores [Feb - May],
    Copa Sudamericana [Aug - Dec],
    InterLiga [Jan],
    Concacaf Clubs Cup [Feb - May]

that is not including the national team's activities.

Before we go off to help out another league, I think we need to help ourselves first.

The Interliga is just a waste of time if you ask me. Having players away from their families during New Years is wrong if you ask me. You are cutting down on their vacation and furthermore, you risk the player of suffering exhuastion. FIFA has a maximum amount of games that a club is suppose to play, and we do not abide by it.

I would love to watch soccer every day, but I would much rather have quality than quantity.

Domestic League [Feb - May; Aug - Dec],
    Copa Libertadores [Feb - May],
    Copa Sudamericana [Aug - Dec],
    InterLiga [Jan],
    Concacaf Clubs Cup [Feb - May]

If you look at the schedule...

the only thing that is mandatory of us is that we send the champion and runner up to Concacaf Clubs Cup. That tournament is played from Feb up to May. So we use the Apertura champ (Aug - Dec). We send the number either the 2 other semifinalist (or best seeded teams) of the apertura season that did not make it to the finals to the up coming Copa Libertadores. So basically a team stops playing in December and starts Copa lib up in Feb. That is a lot of time to rest and the players would still be intact. The players could still have their vacation and have to worry about the interliga.

to be perfectly honest, i would much rather see Copa Mexico brought back, than to have some MFL-MLS mickey mouse cup ... but that is just me... i would rather have a true FA cup that promotes the grass roots and encourages the amatuers to pursue professionalism... i guess that is just a pipe dream