The Official Simon Dawkins thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the case of Innocent and Simon, hindsight is 20-20. When they signed them they thought they were going to be good. Teams sign players like Pirlo, Lampard, and Beckham for the same reason companies pay $5million for a 30 second Super Bowl commercial. It's marketing.

hc897 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but "the league is losing money"!

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    One way or another falvo, the money's coming out of your pocket, well, some of it anyway. That's where the money is coming from. :)

Look at it as a broad conspiracy to defraud falvo through a slew of bad DP signings, and over-the-hill players who should be retired and working on getting their insurance broker license!

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't they be getting into real estate like Mrs Yallop?

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Insurance agent, real estate agent, auto sales, any of those fine careers will do. 'Bout time these guys really apply themselves and make something of their lives! Sure hope they didn't miss out on that college education though!

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1781 falvo, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    The league as a single entity, should instead use that money to help save the Crew and/or to build them a downtown stadium.....

In the Silicon Valley it would be a smart move and they would end up making a lot more money in the long run if they did.....

7. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Falvo for MLS Commissioner!

mjlee22 and DotMPP repped this.
  8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Signing him back to the team at all was a waste, unfortunately. Buying out his contract was by far the smartest thing the team could have done, and effectively cost them a lot less than having him be on the roster when he was never going to play again. A one time payment of 800,000k is not going to financially burden Fisher, a multi billionaire, out of MLS ownership.

9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looking back, it's hard to say whether or not Doyle actually thought they were going to be good, or if he just knew he could sign them for a little bit of cash without having to do any real work. Given how astoundingly bad both players were for the team, I'm more inclined to believe the second is true more than the first.

You are absolutely right, though, in that nobody really knew how they would perform. I was optimistic about both, and both failed spectacularly to the point where I would have rather seen other players on the roster get every one of the minutes the two played.

That said, I'm glad San Jose has not decided to follow the route of LA or NY with regard to acquiring talent. LA has failed pretty hard with its marketing signings, as Gerard was a complete bust, as was Lampard. I won't reiterate further on just how horrible of an idea it was for Colorado to sign Tim Howard. Finding the lesser known talents is still a great strategy as there are just so many players to choose from in places that we might not expect. Doyle was just fantastically bad at finding good talent, no matter where it came from. Fioranelli seems a lot more competent in this regard.

I'd like to think that the Earthquakes finally figured out that winning is a pretty darned good marketing tool on its own. Already they've generated more excitement for me this offseason simply by scoring some goals. Not sure it will translate into true MLS play yet, but it's a heck of a lot better than we've seen the past several years.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course not but maybe they could have used that money to give Wondo or even Shea Salinas more money....

Another reason on why this DP rule and salary cap need to be re-worked. Maybe it worked in 2007 but that was a different time....

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :):D:p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Give the 2008-2016 'Quakes that kind of cash and they'd just have found a more expensive dud

12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo, I've meaning to talk to you about a great investment idea...

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sure especially if you rewrite the rules in LA & NY’s favor.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes are being re-branded as El Lay Norte. :)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw that film!

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of being filled with dread at the thought, Quakes fans should now be hoping to see Dawkins play in our first game of the season.

Dawkins already got $800k in Gap money from John Fischer, now he'll get like $60k in "Target" allocation money from Minnesota.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With the Quakes luck, he will probably score MU’s game winner....

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I was thinking the same thing. If he plays for Minnesota in the opener and scores the winning goal against us - oh, the irony.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think SJE would only have to make up what MN doesn’t pay him, which is of course still going to be most of it. But I don’t think MLS, which has all the contracts would allow him to make more than he would have made with his DP contract this year.

Also it seems odd to me that MN would even want him. I wonder where they plan to play him?

mjlee22 repped this.
  20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not just the Quakes' bad luck, it happens across all sports. The guy you trade comes back to burn you with a fleeting moment of brilliance...and then do absolutely nothing against everybody else.

With that said, he'll be a late game sub with the game tied and slip the dagger in with a late free kick...If we commit a dumb foul at the top of our box late, I'll just start walking to the bar.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the thread of the tweet I referenced, fans were complaining mightily that they already a slew of midfielders, and that Dawkins was taking up a valuable international slot. I think someone wrote the team would be playing with 4 left midfielders on the pitch, or something like that.

It was kinda like reading our BS forum. MNUFC fans sound like they want to barbeque Manny Lagos. Like us, they seem to strike a tone of whining acceptance of sub-mediocrity (JazzyJ excepted of course).

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nine days ago
    Today:
    MNUFC Waives Simon Dawkins

Two questions, what the hell was Minnesota thinking, and will this tweet ever stop being relevant?

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is insane.

24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I don’t think so. It turned out to be a trial. They didn’t like what they saw but they weren’t relying on him so it’s no biggie. It’s more of just a yawn. What I think it does though is remind us how stupid Doyle was to lock into that long of a contract, which caused the Quakes owners to have to make the big pay out because he wasn’t going to be able to contribute anything at all this season.

25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t understand how waivers work, then
    If You pick someone up off waivers, you’re not really signing them? You can waive them again immediately? And you’re not obligated to pay them anything?