The Official Simon Dawkins thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think we are OK with attackers and holding / d-mids, but the defense seems to be pretty weak. At CB, one unproven in MLS guy, one guy who does well though it is not his best position, one mediocre international, and one USL promotion / Seattle reject. That's not going to cut it. I was surprised to see the quote from Jesse in the mercurynews that they were going to do any more signings of significance until the draft. So that means either, they are done except for the draft, or they are going to wait until the draft and then possibly make some more moves. Also really have only 3 guys who play outside back. Really just doesn't cut it.

> Is TT good enough to lead us to MLS Cup glory? (I bet JazzyJ thinks so.)

He doesn't have to "lead" a team to MLS Cup but he's good enough to start on an MLS Cup winning team. He won't start this year, though, almost for sure. In fact I worry how he's going to get any minutes.

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share this concern.

Lima is a good outside back. Presumably JoelQ is also good. If Cummings is able to fully recover he should be good, and then ... it gets thin.

Can Cumming recover? The team probably knows, but we sure don't.

Is Ockford good enough to start in MLS? Does he have to be? Would he make anyone's MLS Best eleven list? Or be "one of the better defenders in MLS?" I don't know, and honestly, no one can be sure. I hope that he's the real deal, because if he's not, we're in trouble.

Is Affolter good enough? I don't think so. He didn't slay me last season. Maybe he'll be better after a full pre-season. Maybe he's really more of a central defender and will look better when moved there?

And I'm unimpressed with Tarbell. Maybe he'll be better too this coming season, but I just don't know.

And I STILL have worries about our midfield and forwards.

Oh, and no way do I think we are done making moves. I think that's Jesse trying to fake out other teams, or maybe he does want to wait until after the draft, to see who we can get first before making more decisions.

Darn. I need whiskey. Good thing I have a bunch.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I do not recall that it was EVER made public that Dawkins was signed to a three-year contract until rather recently. I daresay a LOT of us would probably have looked at the signing more wryly had we known we were locking up a DP spot with him for that long. I sure as hell know I would have!

Yup - here’s the announcement: https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...al-midfielder-simon-dawkins-designated-player

“Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.”

I have a feeling that the posts in early 2016 would have been MUCH more interesting had we known that at the time. We’re being haunted by the ghost of GM’s past...

Beerking repped this.
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had a short conversation with Dawkins where he told me he had been injured throughout 2017 and had just gotten back to fitness. I don't remember the exact time I spoke with him, but I do remember that I noticed he did not play much after that conversation - at most 1 or 2 more appearances, perhaps even zero.

5. doo doo time

doo doo time New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 13, 2017
    Who says he won't. I think he has just been out of it since his mother died and is ready to work hard this year, and that's why we are keeping him. And he definitely will try to showcase his talents this year if its his last.

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let's all hope that he does well. I don't think anyone really takes pleasure in seeing players perform poorly or anything. It's just frustrating to have had several expensive players (by MLS standards) perform so poorly for the Quakes year after year.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think we all hope that Simon plays terrifically well for us this season. It's just that realistically, I expect him to suck. But if he's even half way decent, it means that we might be able to sell him to another team, and cut our losses.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The problem is that Dawkins plays the position of least need. Any time he gets would take minutes from guys like Hyka and TT who are already looking at reduced minutes relative to last year, and who have more of a future with the club.

Beerking, markmcf8 and RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Even if you can argue that Dawkins is an upgrade over Hyka or TT, and that is highly debatable and was certainly not the case last year, you have to be able to manage / think in two dimensions. You fight the battle to win the battle but with an eye towards the war. If you fight the battle only to fight the battle, with no consideration for how any move you make sets you up better for tomorrow, you have a team that just spins in mediocrity, which is exactly what we have had.

I don't think Dom got the multi-dimension thing. Leitch most certainly does. I think Jesse gets it, he at least talks the talk. Stahre, I don't know. He tends to jump from job to job. He may figure he probably won't be around for the war anyway, so why bother.

11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1736 NedZ, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2018/02/16/news-earthquakes-simon-dawkins-mutually-part-ways

Simon Dawkins buy-out

From the MLS Rules:

"Buyout of Guaranteed Contract
    A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP's) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club's expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player's contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player's contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club's salary budget."

12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Finally.

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they can sign another player. Another DP coming soon ???

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good riddance!
    Hey the Quakes FINALLY used the "buy out one player" thing I have been going on and on about since Steven freaking Lenhart was stealing all that money to bike around in flip flops...

There are currently three DPs even with Dawkins gone: Vako, Magnus, Wondo

They could use the cap space to sign a TAM level player, or bring in a third DP and buy Wondo down to TAM level.

International roster spots are also a concern, we seem to be over but Jesse said we'd be compliant, not sure if that already took into account the parting of ways with Dawkins.

My guess is no big addition now, maybe in the summer.

16. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still sad that Dawkins' second stint with the team was so underwhelming compared to his first. But whether it was physical or mental, he definitely wasn't the same player anymore.

sj_vanbasten repped this.
  17. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If we add another DP then Wondo is probably not a starter anymore. I think you are right, they will wait at least until the summer.

I'm pretty sure they had the Dawkins buyout as an option especially with the cost and availability of international slots becoming more and more of a concern. According to the (probably incorrect but not too far off) Wikipedia list, MLS as a whole is currently 11 spots over the limit. I'm guessing this means they will probably increase the allotment before the season starts by one slot per team (to 9 from 8) but that would still leave it pretty tight.

We know from the absences of Godoy and Jungwirth during part of the preseason that they are working on getting their permanent resident visas. So assuming these are issued the team should be compliant even without an allotment increase.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS can't just do that, US Soccer has a big say in all that as domestic leagues are supposed to provide opportunities for domestic players. I think what comes from USSF is a percentage thing, which gets converted into numbers as X out of Y roster spots. I think MLS can increase team roster sizes, but I doubt that will be happening for this season. I'm guessing there will be green cards, and players loaned out, or simply cut. Wikipedia is probably out of date because MLS teams don't have to be roster compliant yet and we won't know how they got there until that 2018 roster info is released.

19. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wish him well. He scored a few huge goals for us.

Time to move on...

Hopefully we can absorb the financial hit and still splash some cash for a DP. Although I doubt we would do anything until the summer transfer window. Gives us a chance to assess the greatest need mid season and a wider candidate pool.

20. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I beg to differ. USSF can dictate in the absolute for its own sanctioned fixtures (Open Cup, with a limit of 5 international players in the lineup) but beyond that it's a guidance thing developed in conjunction with the domestic leagues. When MLS introduced TAM, it was sold as a way to increase player salaries. At the same time, they reduced the roster size as part of the new CBA. Had they increased the slots when they introduced the TAM while reducing the roster size, that would have been a "double whammy" against domestic players and the CBA probably would not have passed. Now we are 3 years later and the TAM has grown by a huge amount, obviously to bring in more and higher quality international players, so it's only natural that the international roster allotment is increased at least slightly.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no interest in this. We'll find out soon enough if MLS increases the allotment of international roster spots from the current 8... but if I were a betting man I'd put my money on that not happening.

22. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is definitely a sad day. I was so excited to see a more mature and tested Dawkins come back and dominate MLS. Of all the "wasted" signings the 'quakes have done over the years, this one to me is the "least worst". Simon was a proven commodity that unfortunately showed up broken. Broken spirit or broken body, who knows except for Simon himself (and maybe a few insiders).

I absolutely wish him the best, but I am glad to see him off the books. 2018 indeed does look like a new dawn.

bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As I recall, the Soccer Legacy Collection at History San Jose has a game-worn kit from Simon Dawkins from the first Stanford match against New York Red Bulls in 2011.

25. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think so too because the pool of players would be bigger. I guess an exception could be if thru this much of preseason Stahre thinks he has some serious glaring weakness in the squad and there's somebody out there they've been following for awhile as a potential TAM player.