The Official Simon Dawkins thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I hope all the Dawkins haters, who are putting Simon down for not playing much last season, read this story and stop and think for a moment about what he went through personally last year.

Albany58 repped this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Simon sounds like a good son who appreciated what his mother did for him. That is admirable, but it still doesn't make him a DP quality player.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Here's one for the Dawkins haters, "can't running", "can't kicking", and "can't jumping" his way through the Seattle game. Didn't notice that it was his slicing central run that freed up Muma on the PK play. If Wondo had converted would have been 2 consecutive weeks where Simon won (or was a key player in winning) the Quakes a point on the road.

Pretty nice "can't kick" free kick BTW!

SJTillIDie and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Haterz gonna hate.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Jamaica defeated defending Copa America Champion Chile and Dawkins wasn't on the roster. Anybody know what's going on?

7. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    He's picked up a slight injury and skipped the friendly as a precaution in order to join the squad a little later.

JazzyJ repped this.
  8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we sure missed him last night's scoreless draw... midfield had no idea how to get the ball to the forwards without him. he is the linchpin of the offense.

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know for sure it's good news. He may not be able to be better in 2 weeks.

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Simon has a style of play where he relies on long strides. Groin strain is decidedly not good for that, and this could be something that he re-aggravates. Just to paint the least rosy picture of it that I can... :)

As my father always said, "Son, always expect the very worst in life. That way you'll never be disappointed!" (OK, he never actually said anything like that, though I might have :--)).

12. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to say that I am a pessimist at heart, that way all the surprised in life are pleasant ones, ;)

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That's the way to do it!

DotMPP repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a stalwart member of the school of low expectations, I used to always tell myself that
    • The only place to look for gratitude is in the dictionary.

DotMPP repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sounds like an AYSO board member to me ;)

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from mlssoccer.com

If San Jose are to get any more help from their DPs, it appears it will have to come from Dawkins, whose up-and-down ride in returning to MLS hit another pothole with the discovery that his wrist – originally thought to be sprained – turned out to be broken.

“This is quite annoying to get this break in my wrist at the moment,” said Dawkins, who has been training this week with a cast extending two-thirds of the way up his forearm and still hopes to be available to face Vancouver on Friday (11 pm ET; UniMás in US | TSN in Canada). “But I’m doing the best I can to make it on the field and give my best for the team.”

The 28-year-old Dawkins has made 19 appearances, all but one starts, in league play for the Quakes, but he’s been fighting various “niggles,” as he called them, throughout the year, including issues in his groin, knee and back. The problems have not cost him whole months in one fell swoop, but instead chipped away at his maximum level of effectiveness.

“Going into the Houston game [on July 31], I felt my groin injury was getting better,” Dawkins told MLSsoccer.com this week. “I felt a lot better and then this had to go and happen. It’s kind of frustrating. . . . I think in recent weeks, my performances have been getting better. I just want to try to continue and make a difference for this team.”

Quakes coach Dominic Kinnear said he doesn’t want to “risk playing anybody who’s not 100 percent,” but acknowledged earlier this month that Dawkins and Alberto Quintero are his first-choice wingers. And any coach is dependent on the player’s assessment of their own fitness.

17. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he did indeed wear a cast against Vancouver.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As long as the wrist is immobilized by the cast, there is no reason that a broken wrist should diminish his playing at all. Given that it took an X-ray to determine that it was broken I have to assume it was one of the carpal bones rather than the radius or ulna, and should heal quite easily.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He scored the winner an hour into the match with a broken wrist so I don't think its affecting him. If he breaks the other one, he may score more! :):):):)

DotMPP and bsman repped this.
  20. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First, wow! This thread was on page 4.

Second, today's tidbit. Dawkins and Justin Morrow each have 4 goals this season.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will Dawkins be here next year earning $800k?

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fixed your post.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I think Dom makes $600-700k ......guess that is why he won't quit. Would you?

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My honest bet would be no. I'm not sure of his contract details, and it would be difficult to imagine it's only for one year, but there are a lot of questions to be answered. I think he could be a good player for San Jose, but he has underwhelmed. Some of that is from systemic deficiencies due to Kinnear, but he's also been individually poor.

I'd be willing to give him more time under a different system, but also won't be upset if he doesn't return. There aren't really any players I'm invested in after this season, and Dawkins isn't exempt from that.

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree Simon has frequently been bad, but I can envision him being very good (not DP good, but very good) under a different coach in a different alignment.