The Official Shea Salinas thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 17, 2012.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #501 falvo, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    I think Colvey's decision to quit the game was mostly financial along with a need to settle down.

All Whites defender Kip Colvey announces shock retirement from ...

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From the same article:

. . . Colvey said he could foresee a future bouncing between MLS and USL if he was to continue playing football for a living, and having moved around so much during his youth, he was ready to settle down . . .

The article goes on for a few more paragraphs on the same theme. Unstated is that he was dating a San Jose woman, who moved with him when he had to relocate to Colorado, and who may not have been interested in a relationship that involved his continuing to move back-and-forth to the minor league affiliate or otherwise being a journeyman.

I'm reading between the lines, and I know it's hard to convince you that there are other factors in the world than money, but I suspect that prioritizing the relationship was the overriding factor in his decision to retire.

If he had stayed with the team in San Jose, and been featured at left back instead of Qwiberg, the question of retirement might not have arisen at all.

DotMPP and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #503 falvo, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    I'm sure his relationship influenced his decision somewhat. Kip though told my cousin who played with him at Cal Poly that he didn't make enough money to make a living. USL teams pay a lot less than an MLS minimum salary and it didn't make sense to continue.

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Once you understand that you are a journeyman level talent, there's not enough money in soccer in the US to keep doing it when you have other options. Your choice is a) make a very moderate living for 10-15 years of your life then start over on another career at the bottom rung, or b) start your lifelong career when you are young, in Kip's case probably at higher salary, and certainly much better position career wise in 10-15 years.

And that doesn't even include the cost (in relationships, financial, etc...) of constantly moving to another city at the whim of a coach or owner.

It's seems like such a no-brainer to me. I'm not sure why some players pursue it for so long. You'd probably be much better off as a plumber, let alone as a Cal Poly degree holding professional.

bsman repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because it beats working for a living? :)

Sactown Soccer and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes and USL players other than maybe Drogba, make a pittance. Traveling, all over the place , playing in smaller venues and training like a horse during the hot summer months, after a while takes its toll. If you are making a decent living, it’s one thing but when you are making less than $50-$60k (if that) after taxes, it is just not worth it.

A guy I went to HS with was a great athlete and won a little league world series and was our QB , place kicker and punter etc. He signed with the Dodgers organization and played A , AA and up to the AAA minor league in baseball and he was good but LA cut him anyway at 26 years of age because they didn’t think he was good enough to make it in the MLB.

I’m not sure what the differences are between minor league baseball and the USL but I’m assuming the conditions in the USL are even worse.

7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you absolutely love playing the game and you can earn a living doing so, I can see how someone could justify it to themselves for longer than one might objectively be expected to. If you aren't really able to make a living, and your life starts to be more than just yourself, that's when those questions start being asked seriously.

The dream of playing a sport professionally is very powerful for some, and I can see how it would be very difficult to give up on that, especially if you aren't particularly interested in another possible career.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tell that to all the people who have to work 40+ hour weeks to even make that amount.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #509 falvo, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    When they get their college degree in kinesiology from cal poly , where they can earn anywhere from $85k to $120k sitting on their can, I’ll be the first to tell them...

10. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard he is making more than that. That’s why he quit.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably not making much money right now as a grad student, but he'll have a good career when he's done.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #513 falvo, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Either way, he is making more than a lousy USL salary pays.....and he is sitting on his duff!

I hear he may make money under the table playin the Sunday leagues but I’ve yet found out how much.

I recall after the old NASL folded, many former pros were pocketing $500.00 a game. Dangerfield made $1,500 a month as player coach of the Oaks, Silveira about $1,300 a game for Sporting and Mani Hernandez about $1,000. That was 35-40 years ago though so it’s a lot more now.

Someone told me Claudio Suarez was making $6000 playing in the Latino leagues of Los Angeles.

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My nephew graduated from Cal Poly in December and can't get a job. Clearly he chose the wrong major.

mjlee22 repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #515 falvo, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Shea Salinas though hung in there and made a decent living as a club player and has doubled his salary in the last 6 seasons. I think players get bonuses on top of their base pay and hopefully , he planned ahead and saved wisely. He never was a great player but when you figure what they paid some players who came and went, Shea deserved more.

upload_2019-4-23_20-47-18.png

jetdog9 repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is so much more important than it used to be in the past. This is one reason colleges are having such a difficult time filling classes for English, History, Anthro, etc. Gone are the days where simply having a BA was considered adequate preparation for a career in business or another field.

17. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Can we move this discussion of pay scale for MLS players to its own thread, when I see a posting in a Shea Salinas thread I expect it to be about Shea Salinas, not Kip Colvey or how little money the bottom third of MLS rosters make.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo brings up player salaries in any thread he can.

mjlee22 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  19. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's related to the reason our "coulda been" LB was let go and retired thereby opening the door to move Shea to LB for the Quakes.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #520 falvo, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

I most certainly did not bring up “what it would have cost to keep Kip Colvey” initially.

Don did and I responded to his post on why he quit the game...

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How about this? Salinas is in the 200k range for salary. I would argue he's a pretty good example of what one should expect from that salary, even if that salary is artificially suppressed via single entity.

That said, a separate thread for pontifications on player value is a good idea.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When you compare him to all the overhyped , overrated and big name foreigners that came to league, Salinas is a decent enough player. I just wish he could shoot better.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

falvo repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was a great goal! Against the Gals nonetheless! :thumbsup:

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shea runs even faster with the shirt off.

don gagliardi repped this.