The Official Ramiro Corrales thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TheSlipperyOne, Jul 10, 2003.

1. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't see his last game due to recording all weekend but I've always been a fan, Ramiro is a smart player and he was still useful till the end, great to have that Mexican American connection too, and he always came across as classy and humble.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The legend is in the house.

Great to have you back, Rams!
    [​IMG]

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Only Barklage looks unhappy...and about 40 years old in that picture for some reason - lack of hair maybe part of it...

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No one has taken Ramiro's place as a team leader (not talking about captain). He may not have contributed much to the play, but we're missing that adult presence this year.

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but you're not in the locker room, so you really dont know that.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #431 falvo, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    I heard that when Ramiro was on the team last year, he pretty much did whatever he wanted by coming in late and leaving early. The younger players on the team as well as everyone else all looked up to him and he pretty much commanded respect and ran the clubhouse and training room. I hear a lot about how important it is to keep veteran players on a team, especially in Europe as coaches like to have them to create sort of a liaison between themselves and the younger guys on the team who may feel intimated. It may be a good thing I just don't know how it can really translate to the level of play or how keeping them around helps a team score a goal on the pitch. I guess its always good though to keep an experienced player who has been through it all around though.

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I would think that there are plenty of leader types on the team: Busch, Goodson, Hernandez, to name a few off the top of my head.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Busch definitely has that gravitas, but he's way back there by himself most of the time (if we're lucky!) I don't know if Rams had friends in the locker room or not, but my observation was that the team seemed to settle in and focus more readily when he was out there. And I am not someone who was a Ramiro fan, even when he was younger, but as time went on, I could see his value on the field.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #434 falvo, May 2, 2014
    They definitely have experience and am sure they can be player coaches from the field. Just haven't seen much evidence of it or if has helped so far this season. Looking at the teams only win through 6 games, I don't think their experience has helped much.

Back to Ramiro, I think he definitely grew with the the in the earlier years and also believe he helped out a lot when the Quakes came back the first 3 years back from 2008-2010 but I don't see how he helped much from 2011-2013. I'm glad he is back. Hopefully, he will light a fire under someone. Someday , maybe soon he may very well be head coach.

10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rams will never be head coach. Not soon, not ever.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That may be a good thing...

On the other hand, average or mediocre players always make great coaches! :ROFLMAO:

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Anybody else not miss this guy?

[​IMG]

13. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Everyone was taking shots at Rams the last 2 years, now all of a sudden the same folks are praising him saying how you miss him,ect,ect, make you're minds up :rolleyes:

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #439 falvo, May 2, 2014
    I never did.....I was only posting his picture and quoting an excerpt I found on facebook....the guy played much too long past his prime and got way too much credit in my opinion for being an average footballer....

Although I met him once and and he seemed like a very nice person and can't say anything bad about him personally but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I never cared for him as a player or his style of play at ages 18, 28 or 36 & 1/2.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Really? "Everyone?"

Here's my first post on this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...ro-corrales-thread.59759/page-7#post-26340207

I've been pretty consistent. And I don't see a lot of fans, whether or not we liked him/his game, who have changed their opinions. Maybe you can find an example, or is it more fun just to make random, unsubstantiated, and ungrammatical stabs at your fellow fans?

DotMPP and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rams was never the same player after his injury late in the '08 season. Before that, he turned in a lot of good games and good seasons for us. He helped us make the playoffs and eventually MLS in '03. Ronnie was out injured a lot that season and Rams covered for him in central midfield. In '08, he was our best player until his late season injury.

We should have given him a lot more rehab time, and used him sparingly and only in a sub role to see if he could regain most of his previous form, but we didn't, because we're stupid.

In any case, he's a great guy and Mr. Quakes.

I want to see him remain with the organization in some capacity or other. I don't know if he could be a coach or not, but surely, we can find a role for him.

All that said, I'm really glad that he no longer dresses for us on game days.

Of course, we've got a bunch of other aging defenders now, which really concerns me. (Increased likelihood of injuries, longer recovery times.)

Go Quakes!!
    Fire JD and MW!!

- Mark

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still hypothesize that part of Ramiro's teamwork contribution could have been due to his bilingual capability... in addition to being a good guy. When he returned from Europe, he had become a clever player and great tackler. He had a lot of back problems his last 2 years, and if not for that slowing him down, I think a lot of fans would have been fine with him on the field. Ramiro was the Earthquakes' Ryan Giggs.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

IBleedTeal repped this.
  19. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Corrales was the Quakes Sebastian Janikowski.

Earthshaker repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Especially when he shanked the ball wide left of the goal....

21. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, they both get their team 3 points!

22. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    A month?

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only meant the comparison in terms of longevity, not skill, OBVIOUSLY

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #449 Goodsport, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    TyffaneeSue repped this.
  25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a BigSoccer Hall of Fame? If not, we should form a Hall of Fame election committee.