The Official Rafael Baca thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, I understood your overall point and agree with it completely.

The confusion probably lies in that particular photo that depicts both Beckham and Baca doing the same thing with an apparently equal amount of success. Perhaps a more pertinent photo would've been one of Beckham dribbling past a beffudled Baca or somesuch. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baca is not a representative of the Quakes doing things wrong, and a photo of him doing something right is even less so. Perhaps you got lost on your way to the Scott Sealy thread.

3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So signing a guy who wasn't good enough to be taken in the MLS draft, then putting him into the starting lineup at CM, is doing things right?

Give me a break.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care whether he was drafted, I care how he plays, and he's been one of the few positives this year.

5. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    define positive cause he doesn't look MLS quality to me. The results on the field seem to back that up. add in half the team also . All these Baca, ring, cronin, squirtsen characters are like bubblegum jammed into the hole of a sinking ship.

6. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol

7. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was critical of your love shown to spiceboy and aeg's team. I apologize you can love whoever you want.

8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the few positives? I would agree, but I don't see his addition as positive whatsoever.

Thank goodness people like you aren't in charge of the Quakes. Oh, wait...

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your problem? Comprehension not a strong suite of yours? If stating facts equates love to you, I wonder how you treat your teachers in school.

10. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I understood your arguement. But when someone's "facts" are how great la's players are and how brilliant arena and aeg are, it is difficult for me to not comment. My teachers were just better with their examples.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He seemed to be having a great game vs the Fire. His assist on Wondo's goal was a thing of beauty.

12. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I did miss your point.. :eek: Appologies to ThreeApples. I agree, Baca has been a positive.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA knows how to put together a good team. SJ doesn't know how to put together a good team. LA is at the top of the league. We're at the bottom. Are any of those statements false? No. Does that mean I love LA? No. It means it pisses me off! It means I'm frustrated as hell that our coaching and management continue to bring in mediocre and USL-level players through the revolving door of our roster. LA spends big on a few players, but the rest of their roster is all under the salary cap. They know how to find solid starters and keep them. Doyle and Yallop and the FO don't. They're like a homeless bum who keeps going back to the liquor store to spend the last dollar they have on a lottery ticket in hopes of tiny odds they'll win big, while LA does actual work to put together a strong team. I'm tired of people being apologists for the FO and burning anyone who disagrees with what the team is doing at the stake.

14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tired of people who hate the FO using absurd hyperbole to support their position.

15. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Baca looks promising. It's been in the three matches since he's been at CM that we've started to look like a decent passing team isn't it? We've also had the majority of possession in all those games (that includes away at the galaxy, at Toronto, and at home to Chicago).

These were some of the passing stats from the Toronto game:
    Code:
              successful pass    unsuccessful pass
    Baca             63                  7
    Corrales         60                 13
    Convey           49                 16
    Gjertsen         23                  5

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-08-27-toronto-fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes/chalkboard

And here's the Chicago game:
    Code:
              successful pass    unsuccessful pass
    Baca             45                  7
    Dawkins          37                  5
    Corrales         36                 15
    Cronin           27                  7
    Gjertsen         16                 15

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-09-10-san-jose-earthquakes-vs-chicago-fire/chalkboard

Baca also had the most tackles won with 4 (Cronin was next with 3).

16. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um "We're at the bottom" is false. But I will concede the point to you if it will lessen your feelings for LA.

17. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14th place out of 18 IS THE BOTTOM!!!!

In regards to Baca, he hasn't impressed me. He looks like an erratic player that loses concentration when executing simple passes. That is not good enough for me, especially for a CM.

18. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I thought Baca looked good against Chicago, particularly in the second half (although his first half pass to Wondo was a thing of beauty).

This guy has potential, for a guy who has only a handful of professional games under his belt, he is very good and talented.

What I really noticed was his mental speed, being aware that someone was closing on him when he got the ball.

He may be small, but he is fast and quick, and is adjusting very quickly to the pace of the professional game.

If we don't protect him in the draft, he will be taken.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baca continues to look great for such an inexperienced player in the middle...amazing really. He's analogous to Torres with the nats, just down at the level of a bottom 3rd MLS team. He gives me hope for next year if he learns from the rest of the games in this season. Can't wait to see him paired with Ring because he'll provide Ring a good outles. The only downer is Baca needs a real coach to now help him add in more off the ball runs. Maybe Dawkins will teach him.

20. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok? If not being at the bottom is the bottom you are absolutely right. Moved up to 13th this week. But still at the bottom.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He looks like he is starting to gel as opposed to when he first signed. It takes a little while to get used to everyone and training is not like game day situations. I think he can only get better the more he starts.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the kid has barely got his feet wet. Sure he made a few poor passes, but, so did a lot of our more experienced players. I really like his work rate, I hope that energy can infect the whole team.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he may be pushing Convey out sooner or later. Maybe they play different positions but I think with Baca coming into his own and Frank shifting lineups, we've seen the beginning of the end for Bobby.

24. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I feel that Yallop will deal Convey, just like he did with Alvarez. He was available on Saturday off the bench. He did similar things with Alvarez.

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I am not a Baca fan - at least not as a starter. He does some things okay, but is generally too small and too slow to make much of an impact.